Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2017, 1:53 pm

EverythingAndNothing wrote:
I'm not sure if I'm more or less sensitive than most people but I definitely have a hard time expressing that I'm in pain. I don't emote well on my face and so I tend not to visibly react or yell out or anything even when I am hurting. Even when I was 6 and I broke my foot, I decided to just hide it and I never told anyone. I broke it again last year at the very beginning of a soccer match and I proceeded to play the whole game on it in severe pain before driving myself to a doctor. Nobody even knew I had hurt myself until a week later when I was in a boot.

So I guess I'm mostly just miserable at knowing how to tell people when I'm hurting. Because if you don't react typically at the time that the painful thing happened, it's kind of weird to go up to someone later and say, "Hey I wanted to tell you that I actually broke my foot 30 minutes ago and nobody noticed since I didn't yell or fall down or do anything to signal any kind of obvious distress at the time!"

I can relate to this. Even though I've never broken anything, one time in gym class I jammed my finger and damaged my nerves. I don't tell my gym teacher, I just decided to suffer through the pain.

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2017, 2:09 pm

Well I have very high emapthy but I still have very low pain tolerance. This is why I am frightened to get pregnant and give birth. If it's naturally painful for everybody, then for me it's going to be deadly. I couldn't even handle period pains, which was why I went on the pill, now my period pains are more bearable. And they say that birth pains are one, big period pain 100 times worse. Dearie me.
Also vomiting hurts, or even just heaving. This is why I have such an extreme phobia of vomiting. The build-up to it is really horrible and frightening, when your chest feels full and you're sweating all over and your saliva glands are producing buckets of watery saliva, and then comes the uncontrollable stomach contractions, and that is the part that hurts. My stomach sucks in so bad, that it hurts more than anything. And the vomit burns all my sinuses.

soloha
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Jul 2017, 2:12 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Well I have very high emapthy but I still have very low pain tolerance. This is why I am frightened to get pregnant and give birth. If it's naturally painful for everybody, then for me it's going to be deadly. I couldn't even handle period pains, which was why I went on the pill, now my period pains are more bearable. And they say that birth pains are one, big period pain 100 times worse. Dearie me.
Also vomiting hurts, or even just heaving. This is why I have such an extreme phobia of vomiting. The build-up to it is really horrible and frightening, when your chest feels full and you're sweating all over and your saliva glands are producing buckets of watery saliva, and then comes the uncontrollable stomach contractions, and that is the part that hurts. My stomach sucks in so bad, that it hurts more than anything. And the vomit burns all my sinuses.

I'm gonna puke ...ugh. Thanks for that

Scorpius14
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2017, 2:35 pm

I have a very high pain tolerance / am very hyposensitive, but it might be because i've adapted to it from young age having had sharp things like injections but also in current events but the one thing that does hit me are headaches. I feel like nothing else would even come close to the pain I experience from a headache. I once had my arm skin flayed by razor sharp rusted metal and it wasn't as painful as it looked and when i compare it to a headache, the gap in pain tolerance is immeasurable.

I always find there is some sort of thing I can focus on to lessen the pain, such as ways people try to counter hangovers but almost every headache is like something is growing inside like alien, where it waits til it bursts out.

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2017, 12:07 am

Quote:
Why the f**k do they bring the "lack of empathy" BS into it? What's that got to do with how sensitive one is to pain?

Umm .. because there's often a direct correlation. I used to know a few psychopaths - definite empathy lack - and they too were partially insensitive to pain. Also many alexithymics are insensitive to the either actual sensation part of pain, or insensitive to the emotional reaction to pain (which does make up a great deal of how the person perceives the pain) or both. They also are known to lack empathy.
I was also born with chronic pain, so assume I have also been born with the insensitivity in order to be able to handle it.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

26 Jul 2017, 3:04 am

Joe90, there's no reason you need to get pregnant; you could choose to adopt instead, should you want a family. I think you have the potential to be a good adoptive mom.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2017, 4:41 am

Well how come I have both empathy and very low pain tolerance?

I could adopt one day, because the thought of pregnancy scares me, although I'd want my baby to have a name I like, not an already given name, as I hate most the names people call their babies these days.

Grammar Geek
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2017, 4:43 am

Joe90 wrote:
Well how come I have both empathy and very low pain tolerance?

I could adopt one day, because the thought of pregnancy scares me, although I'd want my baby to have a name I like, not an already given name, as I hate most the names people call their babies these days.

You can change the name of an adopted baby. My friend was adopted from Russia and was originally named Vladimir, but now his name is Joe.