Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2017, 2:05 am

I like going out to stores. I like being able to see and feel what I am buying.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2017, 2:10 am

don't worry, it won't happen.

:ninja:

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2017, 12:19 pm

I agree, there are some advantages to offline shopping. Being able to see in real life what I'm purchasing, not having to wait for weeks for my purchase to arrive, and not having to pay insanely high prices for a "collector's item" when they're expensive enough offline. In fact most of the time it's the only thing that gets me out of my apartment.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2017, 12:46 pm

I also like going in and out of stores. I like the gratification of getting something right away.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

19 Aug 2017, 10:05 pm

Some things like cold & perishable groceries need to be bought in stores. People like to compare the shape & sizes & colors of hardware things like screws & brackets & knobs. People like to try on clothing too. For example I wear 2XL tShirts because they shrink in the wash & I like em really lose. My girlfriend bought me a pack of 2XLs by a different brand & they were so tight I was worried I'd rip em.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 10:27 pm

Me too, I hope there are always bricks-and-mortar stores. I like going to stores and being able to feel and touch and assess what I'm buying.

I don't love the experience of the crowds and noise. But I still like stores and shopping in them.

Online shopping for certain things is no substitute for getting to see and touch something "in person."

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 10:29 pm

I agree with Kip , it ain't gonna happen in our lifetime

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 10:31 pm

Yep, unless I already know what it is, such as a model kit or paint or tool, connecting with it in person is preferable to me.
I do not buy clothes on line.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 10:32 pm

Quote:
"it ain't gonna happen in our lifetime"
I'm not so sure about that -- many have closed. There are entire malls that are now derelict, and high streets that are half empty. I do think the concept of the physical store is in at least some degree of jeopardy.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 10:39 pm

BirdInFlight wrote:
Quote:
"it ain't gonna happen in our lifetime"
I'm not so sure about that -- many have closed. There are entire malls that are now derelict, and high streets that are half empty. I do think the concept of the physical store is in at least some degree of jeopardy.

Do you think that's due to austerity or the internet?

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 10:46 pm

Well realistically it probably is a bit of both, there's no denying. Austerity and the 2008 crash would have certainly played a part.

But internet shopping is almost certainly the rest of it. When you can make a major purchase at 2am in your pajamas, from the comfort of home, it's very tempting to just do that for as many items as is practicable.

I know that I have started to find things on the internet and buy them that I used to unfailingly go out to a real store to buy. And I still love real stores -- but the convenience of the internet has tempted me away, and I've become part of the problem of real stores trying to hold onto their shoppers.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 11:03 pm

BirdInFlight wrote:
Well realistically it probably is a bit of both, there's no denying. Austerity and the 2008 crash would have certainly played a part.

But internet shopping is almost certainly the rest of it. When you can make a major purchase at 2am in your pajamas, from the comfort of home, it's very tempting to just do that for as many items as is practicable.

I know that I have started to find things on the internet and buy them that I used to unfailingly go out to a real store to buy. And I still love real stores -- but the convenience of the internet has tempted me away, and I've become part of the problem of real stores trying to hold onto their shoppers.

I agree , and for people with social anxiety or a hectic work schedule , the convenience is great. I've done online grocery shopping but it has flaws for me so I prefer going to the supermarket despite the anxiety involved. I really can't see the extinction of B&M stores in the next half century but who knows. I hate the anxiety of clothes shopping but at least I know it will fit and how it will look , with online clothes shopping the drawbacks put me off. It's all about personal taste I suppose and consumers will ultimately dictate the way they want the future.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 9:19 am

Stores are alive and well here, with a lot of new ones in development. It is exciting to see.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 3:33 pm

Shops are replacing human worked tills with self tills. In some shops there are no staff tills at all. I had to walk out of a store today because of it, it was obviously an overreaction on my part, but I really don't like them.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 10:04 pm

I have a love-hate relationship with those self-service checkouts.

On the one hand, they are infuriating because some error always seems to happen even when I think I'm doing everything the way you're supposed to. So a real person winds up needing to coming over and enter a code.

I find the machines annoying to deal with. If you even redistribute things in the bag while checking out, the weight sensor thinks there's a problem.

On the other hand, I like that I don't have to interact with a human ( as long as an error doesn't occur and someone has to come over anyway).

I like how if I'm not in the mood to even look someone in the eye or say hello, it's just me and a machine and I can checkout and go.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 5:41 am

BirdInFlight wrote:
I have a love-hate relationship with those self-service checkouts.

On the one hand, they are infuriating because some error always seems to happen even when I think I'm doing everything the way you're supposed to. So a real person winds up needing to coming over and enter a code.

I find the machines annoying to deal with. If you even redistribute things in the bag while checking out, the weight sensor thinks there's a problem.

On the other hand, I like that I don't have to interact with a human ( as long as an error doesn't occur and someone has to come over anyway).

I like how if I'm not in the mood to even look someone in the eye or say hello, it's just me and a machine and I can checkout and go.

You are so like me on this respect. Once you get the knack of the machines it's pretty much foolproof ( I never get errors now - touch wood )
One trick if didn't know it is this:
If you have lots of items ( many bags ) , once you have filled one bag you can remove it from the scales and put it in your trolley , this stops some of the errors that occur when you have too many items. Bare in mind this only works in the one supermarket I go to , I don't know if it works anywhere else.