Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

lazyflower
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Jul 2017, 6:58 am

Would you describe yourself as a creative person? Do you often have a strong imagination and ideas coming to you?

There's a difference between artistic ability and creative ability.

I'd say I have an artistic ability when it comes to music and perhaps writing too. However, I lack creativity and it drives me nuts. Especially since I have this longing feeling to create things but I can't.

I wonder, do aspies/autistic people tend to be more or less creative than the average?

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2017, 7:23 am

I have more creativity than artistic abilities.

My creativity not only applies with the art/s and/of crafting, but also various academic and practical stuff that is outside of my lifelong special interest of crafting. It's more or less one of my ways of life. :lol:
I had solved problems, earned, and saved a lot of money.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2017, 8:08 am

I write, I always have, so I suppose that counts as creative.
However I have also just taken up visual art journalling, and it's surprising how ... rusty, all that feels. How smothered that kind of faculty is just by everything. I am also reading "The Artist's Way" and getting some tips from that on being more creative in general. I figure it's like anything - you just have to exercise that side of yourself to get it working and awake.
I don't think it depends on autism. It's just an individual thing. Some people claim that autistics lack imagination, but I believe that really only relates to the observation of children in imaginative play. As usual, autistic adults are ignored. I know I never engaged in imaginative play, but it was because of the social and emotional component of it that I lacked, not the pure imagination.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2017, 8:27 am

I want to write stories but I'm only good at describing things. I have no idea for an actual plot to come up with so far.

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2017, 8:39 am

Being very creative gave me a distinct advantage while working on my PhD research projects. Many of my fellow graduate students struggled with coming up with original research ideas and plans, but I did not. They wanted me to somehow "teach" them how to be creative at my level, but they lacked the natural instinct to do so.

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2017, 8:43 am

I have a creative mind when it comes to problem solving and composition.
That's about it, though.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2017, 9:00 am

I like to write and do watercolor painting. I can't wait for the watercolor class to be offered again so I can sign up. I will do so through my local Recreation and Parks department at the earliest opportunity.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2017, 9:03 am

I could be pretty creative at times. I write poetry. If I were able to paint, I think I might do as well as Dali LOL

I like the Absurd amid Beauty....or is it Beauty amid the Absurd? I don't like iconclastically ugly things. Or non-art as Art.

lazyflower
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Jul 2017, 10:02 am

EzraS wrote:
I want to write stories but I'm only good at describing things. I have no idea for an actual plot to come up with so far.

That's what I struggle with too

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2017, 10:05 am

My main weakness is dialogue.

You can be all Herman Melville all you want as far as description goes----but for one to write a true novel, one must have social dialogue.

CuriousButDepressed
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Jul 2017, 10:17 am

I'm very creative. Not only do I write short stories, I also write songs, most of which have a satirical edge to them. When it comes to composing the music however, I've always been pretty sh***y there. I focus much more on a larger vision than on details, so the technical aspects of composition don't work for me.

AranAren
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

25 Jul 2017, 10:26 am

I guess I would call myself artistic, but not creative. I used to write a lot when I was younger, but I'd often get stuck, especially around dialogue or figuring out what would be exciting for the reader. (Maybe not the same as what I find exciting.)

Even though I am not very visual/spatial, I have very good color sense (detect small differences in two colors, find coordinating colors easily, etc) -- I love to paint, work with clay, and make wool sculptures. Any kind of craft with my hands is beloved, and I'm slowly learning to make digital work as well.

However, I would not call myself "creative" because I'm usually creating normal things, like animals or landscapes. Even when I branch into fantasy (which I love), it's still not really making things up -- I don't make my own creatures, I just make my own dragons or decide what a wizard will wear, but it's not my own "creation" if that makes sense. I didn't invent the wizard or dragon. Actually, I really struggle to come up with ideas without finding inspiration somewhere else first.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2017, 11:51 am

Shakespeare didn't create his own plays, either, by and large--yet he was "creative" in how he adapted those plays.

Just like you can be "creative" in how you present your animals.

anti_gone
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Jul 2017, 12:58 pm

Yes, very creative.

lazyflower
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Jul 2017, 1:37 pm

CuriousButDepressed wrote:
I'm very creative. Not only do I write short stories, I also write songs, most of which have a satirical edge to them. When it comes to composing the music however, I've always been pretty sh***y there. I focus much more on a larger vision than on details, so the technical aspects of composition don't work for me.

I wish I could write songs too! I've tried countless times but I'm never happy with the outcome. What's your process like? Do you just start writing the lyrics or do you find the melody first? I can't seem to combine the two and my lyrics are often cliche and boring to me.

Last edited by lazyflower on 25 Jul 2017, 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2017, 3:40 pm

I would like to think I'm somewhat creative. I have a big imagination, I know that for sure. I'm not very good at creative writing, but I draw a lot and I do a lot of crafting stuff, like crochet and painting.