Pressure mounts to curtail surgery on intersex children

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2017, 10:16 am

NEW YORK — Children whose sexual characteristics don’t neatly align with the norm have for decades faced surgery to rearrange their anatomy to resemble that of more typical boys and girls — long before they were old enough to have a say in the decision.

But now the practice is under assault, as never before. The American Medical Association is considering a proposal discouraging it.

Three former U.S. surgeons general say it’s unjustified. And on Tuesday, Human Rights Watch and InterACT a group advocating for intersex youth — are releasing a detailed report assailing the practice and urging Congress to ban it.

https://www.statnews.com/2017/07/25/int ... n=stat:rss

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2017, 11:46 am

I, myself, like women who are feminine; I don't get as turned-on by more "androgynous" women.

Still, I wouldn't want to tamper with what has arrived naturally. If a baby is "intersexed," yet is otherwise healthy, I would keep the anatomy the way it is.

I would hope that society advances enough to be able to accept people "as they are."

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2017, 10:38 am

I think the difference is that parents of the children in decades, past, were getting the surgery for their children, because they were not PHYSICALLY matching their gender----whereas, parents, nowadays, are wanting surgery for their kids, because they are not EMOTIONALLY matched to their gender. I really can't say that I disagree with the people wanting to curtail this, because, if, for-no-other-reason, a child's brain hasn't fully developed (I've read some articles that say a person's brain hasn't fully developed until, about, 25, or so)----but, another reason may be.....

IMO, there seems to be something that is bringing-about this new phenomenon of children not feeling like their emotional gender matches their physical gender. What if, sometime in the future, it is found that something we humans are doing, is causing this; like, I dunno, ingesting metals, or something? What, THEN? What if when a child grows-up, they decide to take-on a "greener" existence, as sometimes happens, and they decide to discontinue eating processed foods, for instance, and decide to use natural toothpaste, and deodorant, and stuff, and stop using chemicals in their house, and so-forth, and then all-of-a-sudden, in doing so, they also stop feeling like they wanna be the opposite gender, to which they were switched, as a kid, and start feeling like they wanna go-back to the gender, to which they were born? What, THEN?

As with SOOOO many things, I feel some people aren't thinking about this, properly, and that they're, like, tackling the SYMPTOMS, instead of searching for / tackling the CAUSE!! I mean, c'mon----SURELY, others have thought "Something else seems to be going-on, here"----but, IMO, as with too many parents, nowadays, they, often, seem to be so driven by wanting to be their child's friend, and/or wanting their kid to be free to be who they want to be (because they [the parents] feel like they weren't afforded that / were slighted, or whatever, in that regard, when they were growing-up), or they want to be thought-of as cool / hip / non-judgmental / understanding / whatever parents, and they, IMO, are letting that passion cloud their judgment. As I've said, before, I feel it is a parent's job, to FIRST, raise PEOPLE----then, if, when the child becomes an adult, they still feel that way, let them do something about it, if they want.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2017, 10:49 am

As a clarification, since a lot of people are poorly informed and I've seen this elsewhere about this article: intersex is a physical biological condition, it has nothing to do with transgender issues. An intersex person may have female genitalia but high testosterone production, or an intersex person may have both genitalia (hermaphroditic), etc. It has nothing to do with gender or psychology, it's physical and naturally occurs not just in humans but a whole host of sexual species.