Autism severity detected with brain activity test

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2017, 12:28 pm

FINDINGS

UCLA researchers have discovered that children with autism have a tell-tale difference on brain tests compared with other children. Specifically, the researchers found that the lower a child's peak alpha frequency -- a number reflecting the frequency of certain brain waves -- the lower their non-verbal IQ was. This is the first study to highlight peak alpha frequency as a promising biomarker to not only differentiate children with autism from typically developing children, but also to detect the variability in cognitive function among children with autism.

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases ... 072517.php

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2017, 3:40 pm

Since genetics is proving difficult the effort now is to elimiminate autism by finding out what turns genetic predisposition towered autism into autism. Once they know who is most likely to be triggered they will bombard the poor babies with ABA in an effort to trigger neurotypicalty instead of autism.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2017, 10:07 pm

I always get brain wave tests as part of my overall annual evaluation.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2017, 2:21 am

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong,but I thought non verbal IQ deficits were more closely connected to NVLD. Those with ASD often scoring better on non verbal tests of intelligence like the Raven fair IQ test.
Of course I accept that in some cases verbal IQ may be superior to non verbal IQ.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2017, 2:49 am

firemonkey wrote:
FINDINGS

UCLA researchers have discovered that children with autism have a tell-tale difference on brain tests compared with other children. Specifically, the researchers found that the lower a child's peak alpha frequency -- a number reflecting the frequency of certain brain waves -- the lower their non-verbal IQ was. This is the first study to highlight peak alpha frequency as a promising biomarker to not only differentiate children with autism from typically developing children, but also to detect the variability in cognitive function among children with autism.

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases ... 072517.php

Interesting, but it should be noted that this likely only applies to children with autism, and not AS/ASD. People with AS tend to have high verbal IQs.