Page 1 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2017, 5:20 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
I was very colicky but that proves nothing.

I don't think it proves much, but it could be linked to sensory/gastrointestinal issues, both of which are common with autism.

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2017, 7:17 pm

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
I haven't done much research on this topic, but I'm wondering if a colic could be linked to autism. My neighbor and I both had severe colics when we were little, and we are both developmentally delayed and autistic. I was looking at the SPD checklist (link down below), and one of the symptoms in infants is a severe colic. I'm wondering if any of you had a colic when you were an infant, and if so, what are your thoughts? Do you think that a colic could be a potential indicator for developmental delays (not necessarily autism)? I could be completely wrong, but I'm wondering what you all think.

Link to SPD checklist: http://www.sensory-processing-disorder. ... klist.html
(It's in the "self-regulation" section by the way)

I was a happy, colic free baby. My sister, on the other hand, had colic and is completely NT. Colic is just common in babies in general because their digestive system is immature.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2017, 7:23 pm

Chronos wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
I haven't done much research on this topic, but I'm wondering if a colic could be linked to autism. My neighbor and I both had severe colics when we were little, and we are both developmentally delayed and autistic. I was looking at the SPD checklist (link down below), and one of the symptoms in infants is a severe colic. I'm wondering if any of you had a colic when you were an infant, and if so, what are your thoughts? Do you think that a colic could be a potential indicator for developmental delays (not necessarily autism)? I could be completely wrong, but I'm wondering what you all think.

I was a happy, colic free baby. My sister, on the other hand, had colic and is completely NT. Colic is just common in babies in general because their digestive system is immature.

I got it. I was just wondering if it could be linked in some way.

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2017, 8:36 pm

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
Chronos wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:

Some people on the spectrum have stomach issues...particularly constipation and it's been theorized that there is some connection between gut microbes and behavior....though sometimes autistic individuals will cause the constipation by holding their stools in because they find some aspect of voiding them unpleasant.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2017, 8:39 pm

Chronos wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
Chronos wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:

Some people on the spectrum have stomach issues...particularly constipation and it's been theorized that there is some connection between gut microbes and behavior....though sometimes autistic individuals will cause the constipation by holding their stools in because they find some aspect of voiding them unpleasant.

I've heard of autistic individuals having gastrointestinal difficulties. Do you think there is a link between "gut bacteria" and autism?

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2017, 1:42 am

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
Chronos wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
Chronos wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:

I've heard of autistic individuals having gastrointestinal difficulties. Do you think there is a link between "gut bacteria" and autism?

One study found that the children on the spectrum who participated in the study had different bacteria in their gut than the control group, however I could not say whether or not there is a link between gut bacteria and autism.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2017, 8:23 am

At first, I thought the whole "gut bacteria" thing was stupid, but as I did more research, it seems like some kids with ASD really do have different gut bacteria.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2017, 9:05 am

I feel the "gut bacteria" could play a role in many things---both positive and negative.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2017, 9:08 am

If this is so, once again, I am atypical of people with autism/Asperger syndrome. My parents said I was an easy baby with no real problems of this nature.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2017, 9:14 am

The thing we have to do is do more research on "gut bacteria."

It is known that antibiotics could screw with the "gut bacteria" balance. It is known that we need the "gut bacteria"--badly.

Conceivably, some aspects of "gut bacteria" could play a role in autism, or in many other things. We are quite a long ways away from any sort of definite correlation between "gut bacteria" and autism.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2017, 9:27 am

I agree. We need more research on gastrointestinal difficulties before we link them to autism; I was just wondering what people here thought as some had colics, and some never did.

CuriousButDepressed
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Jul 2017, 9:30 am

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
I find the whole concept of eugenics to be a horrible thing.

Many people with autism are able to lead productive lives. At the very least, they provide much joy to their families, and to people who know them.

I hate how Autism Speaks is trying to find a cure :( . I know some people hate having autism, but would you rather never be born? I don't like it when people choose to kill their children in the womb just because they have a disability.

A better goal for the group would be the promotion of the elimination of negative traits in people on the ASD and an escalation of their positive traits so that they have no weaknesses and only advantages over NTs. I don't understand why people think that this is an all or nothing issue. What person would want to live with weaknesses, ASD or NT?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2017, 9:32 am

I honestly don't believe that colic has much to do with autism. The reason why I say this: colic generally occurs very young in infancy--6 months old is very "old" for colic--whereas the symptoms of autism frequently don't manifest until after one year of age.

Colic is usually caused by a digestive system "just starting out."

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2017, 9:38 am

CuriousButDepressed wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Many people with autism are able to lead productive lives. At the very least, they provide much joy to their families, and to people who know them.

I hate how Autism Speaks is trying to find a cure :( . I know some people hate having autism, but would you rather never be born? I don't like it when people choose to kill their children in the womb just because they have a disability.

A better goal for the group would be the promotion of the elimination of negative traits in people on the ASD and an escalation of their positive traits so that they have no weaknesses and only advantages over NTs. I don't understand why people think that this is an all or nothing issue. What person would want to live with weaknesses, ASD or NT?

Because everybody has weaknesses. We are not superior to so called "normal" people, and that shouldn't he our goal. I'm not defending what Autism Speaks is doing, but there is no way to eliminate all the bad parts of autism while still keeping the good. I don't think we should aim to be better; I think we should get help if we need it, but not make our main focus to eliminate all the "bad parts" of autism. To be honest, all traits of autism could be considered "bad" depending on the context. Of course, I don't want people with an ASD to suffer, but I don't think we can magically get rid of all our weaknesses, no matter how hard we try.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2017, 9:41 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I honestly don't believe that colic has much to do with autism. The reason why I say this: colic generally occurs very young in infancy--6 months old is very "old" for colic--whereas the symptoms of autism frequently don't manifest until after one year of age.

Colic is usually caused by a digestive system "just starting out."

True, but I think if you have a form of autism other than regressive autism, then you can show signs from birth. I know I did in regards to motor skills, perseveration, and rigidness.

CuriousButDepressed
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Jul 2017, 9:44 am

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
CuriousButDepressed wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Because everybody has weaknesses. We are not superior to so called "normal" people, and that shouldn't he our goal. I'm not defending what Autism Speaks is doing, but there is no way to eliminate all the bad parts of autism while still keeping the good. I don't think we should aim to be better; I think we should get help if we need it, but not make our main focus to eliminate all the "bad parts" of autism. To be honest, all traits of autism could be considered "bad" depending on the context. Of course, I don't want people with an ASD to suffer, but I don't think we can magically get rid of all our weaknesses, no matter how hard we try.

While I agree that with current technology it would be almost impossible to eliminate every single weakness a person has, with the proper mind, vision and funds, we will be able to create humans that are not only mentally superior, but physically superior as well. They would understand social norms and be able to make friends easily, but they would also internally know how malleable and useless social norms are and not follow them when they didn't have to. They'd be far more creative than mere NTs and be able to envision anything with ease. The average intelligence of one of these individuals would be akin to Bill Gates' intelligence. Physically, they would heal from any condition entirely, not 98%, not 99%, not 99.999999%. Nothing would harm them. Why is this such a bad goal, to be so adverse to weakness that you'd want to annihilate it? Didn't we annihilate several diseases because we refused to accept them? Acceptance is merely societally approved enabling of situations. We must always be determined to destroy adversity, not tolerate it.