I'm starting university next month, any advice?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Asperger96
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2017, 2:12 pm

I'm transferring in from CC, and not living on campus

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2017, 2:16 pm

> "I'm Starting University Next Month, Any Advice?"

Yes, find a "niche" of some kind for yourself, one that is independent of your regular coursework. It can be an academic club, a social hobby group, a volunteer or paid job (working at the campus library is great for aspies), a sports team, a politics group, a music group, or anything of that kind. This will give you a sense of fitting in, it will be a continuing thing (unlike courses which dissolve each term), and it will be good for networking and making friends.

There Are Four Lights!

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2017, 4:23 pm

Darmok wrote:
> "I'm Starting University Next Month, Any Advice?"

Yes, find a "niche" of some kind for yourself, one that is independent of your regular coursework. It can be an academic club, a social hobby group, a volunteer or paid job (working at the campus library is great for aspies), a sports team, a politics group, a music group, or anything of that kind. This will give you a sense of fitting in, it will be a continuing thing (unlike courses which dissolve each term), and it will be good for networking and making friends.

I completely agree with the "niche" thing. I'm still in community college, but I would hang out a lot in the library and I made a group of friends there, including one that I consider a very close friend. When it comes to academics, make sure you pay close attention to your classes and always keep on top of your assignments. My first semester, I struggled with getting things done on time because I had trouble balancing the coursework in all five of my classes. If there is a subject you struggle in (for me, it's math), don't hesitate to get help! It's important, I've found, to seek out help sooner rather than later. Same goes for disability services and accommodations, if you qualify for them. I found the disabilities office very helpful and I give them a lot of credit with helping me finish my last semester.

Good luck! :D

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2017, 5:37 pm

^ I second the comments about the campus library -- as soon as you start on campus, find a regular seat in the library, somewhere near the busy entrance area, and park yourself there in your free time. Very quickly you'll start recognizing regulars, people in your classes, staff members, etc., and they'll start to recognize you.

Also, be sure to read campus bulletin boards every day. You'll see all kinds of notices for groups and events you can join or attend.

There Are Four Lights!