Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

PaperMajora
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Jul 2017, 12:47 am

For about a year now, I've had a strong suspicion that I have ASD due to me having many signs of it. However I have learnt that aspies need to use intellect to speak. This fits me to a degree since I usually rehearse what I say in my head, and will often stutter and talk very awkwardly when forced to speak on the spot. However I can usually say simple yes\no responses or say hi without really putting any thought into it. Also when I studied music I mainly played off intuition, being able to play songs almost instantly without sheet music. It was intelligence based aspects like reading sheet music and composing that I actively had to improve. So, can an aspie have any sort of intuition?

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2017, 8:35 am

Sure. There are things I am intuitive about. I think an autistic person's intuition might fail them when it comes to social interaction. Especially in interpreting social cues.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2017, 9:03 am

I've gotten more "intuition" as I've gotten more experienced in life.

As a young person, I had virtually none.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2017, 9:06 am

I never thought of myself as particularly intuitive. I do think of myself as a pretty good judge of character, however. When I began following Denis Istomin, I thought he seemed like a nice man and very sportsmanlike. I was right about him.

CuriousButDepressed
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Jul 2017, 9:20 am

I have incredibly good intuition. When I was younger I would get gut feelings that would nearly always turn out to be correct and I often can predict how someone is going to react before they react. I'm not sure if this is something other than intuition, but it certainly sounds like it could be intuition to me.

anti_gone
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Jul 2017, 12:00 pm

Why shouldn't they?

Most things people do are not done consciously. That's just a weird bias that we humans tend to have...most decisions will not be based on thorough consideration as this would take way to much time. When you have to decide which drink to buy, it will usually be gut decision. If we decide to put on a sweater, it will usually because we feel like doing it and not because we measured the temperature in the room. To me, all of those things would be intuition (I'm not a native English speaker, but since it's a Latin word, meanings should roughly be the same in other languages as well)...

About predicting social situations, this might be more difficult for Aspies due to wrong interpretation of social cues like EzraS said...on the other hand, aspies might notice tiny details that other won't, which could e.g. cause a (correct) negative intuition that NTs wouldn't have in this situation.

Corny
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2017, 12:12 pm

I'm sorry to ask this. But what is intuition? I don't know what that means.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2017, 12:17 pm

Intuition means you have a "sense" about something, even if there's not much evidence that this "something" will come to pass.

Like: If you have a date with a girl, and something doesn't seem quite right, you have a "sense," an "intuition," that you might have a lousy date. Even though there's no actual evidence that a lousy date will occur.

CuriousButDepressed
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Jul 2017, 12:17 pm

Corny wrote:

Basically, it's the ability to predict things that will happen without outright evidence.

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2017, 12:18 pm

I don't have much intuition personally, but I think it is definitely possible for people on the spectrum to have intuition.

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2017, 12:20 pm

Have another yes. I have some intuition too. I'm starting to trust it more.

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2017, 12:22 pm

CuriousButDepressed wrote:
Corny wrote:

Basically, it's the ability to predict things that will happen without outright evidence.

It's also natural talent. Someone who is able to do something due to natural talent is said to be doing it intuitively.

Corny
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2017, 12:42 pm

Corny wrote:

I don't do that. You can't predict how exactly it's going to go if you haven't done it yet. You don't know what's going too happen. At least that's what I think.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2017, 6:57 am

Corny wrote:
Corny wrote:

I don't do that. You can't predict how exactly it's going to go if you haven't done it yet. You don't know what's going too happen. At least that's what I think.

For me intuition is like when I'm posting sometimes I get the thought that I better not say something or use different words.

CuriousButDepressed
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Jul 2017, 8:09 am

EzraS wrote:
Corny wrote:
Corny wrote:

For me intuition is like when I'm posting sometimes I get the thought that I better not say something or use different words.

Correct, which is the ability to predict outcomes without concrete evidence.

lazyflower
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Jul 2017, 8:18 am

I'm still a bit unclear about the concept but I actually think I have too much.
So much that I never know whether to trust myself, and my intuition, or not.