Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 6:23 pm

I can't stand carpets. They collect dust, and have to be deep-cleaned every so often.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 6:59 pm

Then again, I don't have to clean carpets :D ^^^^^^^

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 7:41 pm

Carpets were better for me, it seems less work to vacuum than sweeping hardwood floors. And you have dirt on the bottom of your shoes that cause dirt on your floors. Are carpets ok for cats? When I fell down in my apartment alot, the floors were so hard, I kept hurting my knees, once I thought I broke my leg.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

20 Aug 2017, 7:45 pm

Another problem with carpets is pet hair like from cats & dogs. Carpets have to be vacuumed or deep cleaned to get that off but the hair can get caught in the vacuum. Every now & then I have the take the carpet attachment apart in our vacuum because cat hair would be wrapped around the thing that spins & stops it from spinning. My girlfriend's dad had to fix it 1ce because there was hair caught inside the motor for the carpet attachment. With a hardwood floor or things like tiles or linoleum, the pet hair can be swept some & then vacuumed or just mopped after.

Vacuuming doesn't work well for small light rugs because the vacuum pick them up off the floor & tries to suck them up. So it's better to shake them outside.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 8:03 pm

i prefer carpet its much nicer then bare floorboards, same as curtains and Drapes are much nicer than blinds.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 8:15 pm

I wish I had a hardwood floor. I can't because I'm living in an apartment.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

20 Aug 2017, 9:24 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I wish I had a hardwood floor. I can't because I'm living in an apartment.
Same here. Some of the other apartments don't have carpet. We think they put carpet down before we moved in because the floor was having issues & it was easier to cover it up than fix it. The floor creaks in spots & kind of bounces.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 9:30 pm

Do people have different kind of rugs in the same room? If you have a rug, will dirt go under the rug?

Krabo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 1:39 am

DeepHour wrote:
Carpets for me, every time. Wooden floors are hard (obviously) and soulless. I've also heard that it can be hellish to live beneath a flat which has a wooden floor, especially if the occupant of that flat is (like me) a 'pacer'.

Agreed. My apartment is hardwood and so is my neighbor's above. Lucky me to have a cat, not a horse.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 3:36 am

If there is a carpet made that is not always filthy dirty, I've yet to hear of it.

Just because the dirt is hidden in the carpet does not make it clean.

My preferred floors are tile. I'd love to have something like a good Saltillo tile floor. Especially with an occasional tile with footprints of little critters.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 4:51 am

eric76 wrote:
My preferred floors are tile. I'd love to have something like a good Saltillo tile floor. Especially with an occasional tile with footprints of little critters.
Had to look up what that is. That would make a nice floor. And the critterprints idea is :D
http://www.saltillotile.com/saltillo-info
Quote:
Saltillo tile is an unglazed clay floor tile made in Saltillo, Coahuila, Mexico. The tile is made from natural clay deposits from that region which is one of the finest natural clay deposits in the world. Briefly, this is the manufacturing process:
Clay is excavated from the earth, cleaned and sifted.
The clay is mixed with water
The wet clay is formed into tile shapes
The tiles are dried in the sun (if it rains, the process is delayed)
The dried tiles are fired in cave-like structures that become kilns.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 9:17 am

A parquet floor is better than any carpet, hands down!

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 10:01 am

If you have a decent vacuum cleaner that has efficient suction, and if you vacuum regularly and don't just leave it for weeks, there is no reason why that vacuum should not reach into anything that is in there.

Then once or twice a year, a deep cleaning with the right equipment you can rent for a day or get a company to do it.

Don't be so sure sure there isn't all kinds of dust, human skin, pet fur and dander and even creepy crawlies in your HARWOOD flooring too.

I've had dust bunnies and pet hair tangle up in my vacuum from vacuuming HARD floors just as much as carpet. I've seen hardwood floors and tiled floors AWASH with giant dustbunnies of pet hair floating all around.

And critters can be between the cracks and joins of hardwood flooring.

True story:
Many years ago my then-husband and myself were apartment hunting. We found this place with a phone number in the window, called, and the owner said we could look around by ourselves, the door is not locked, go on in and take a look.

They wouldn't come to show us around.

So we went inside this little place. It had all-hardwood floors. At that time I had not yet formed an opinion either way, so that was fine by me.

We walked around. We liked the place. My husband sat down on the hardwood floor and said what do you thinkg, can you see yourself here? etc.

I sat down on the floor too and we chatted about it and the rent that was being asked, and if we could afford it.

SUDDENLY ........we were being bitten. We looked down at our skin in our summer clothes, and we had FLEAS all over us!!

We saw them coming out from the floorboards.

Seriously, they had been in the joins between the hardwood flooring. We saw them emerging.

We had to run home and jump into the shower to get them off us. The place had been infested with fleas.

Don't ask me how they were still alive without any hosts living there. But we saw them actually come out from the fine lines between the hardwood floor boards.

So when you worry about dust, other detritius etc being able to fall deep into a carpet and stay there, just remember, stuff falls between hardwood floor sections also, and stays there.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 10:11 am

Parquet floors remind me of school flooring, institutions and church halls.

Not a home.

All I know is, I have cleaned at least 200 homes in the course of my work. I've cleaned about every surface known to home decor, in flooring, kitchen choices, bathrooms etc.

I've formed my personal, individual opinions and preferences based on the vast experience I've gained from all this. Again strictly personal to me. But having to deal with cleaning these various choices has made me know what I hate. To ME they ARE harder work to clean than carpet. And to me, as long as your vacuum really does SUCK properly and you don't have inch-long shag carpeting (which IS disgusting), and as long as you are not an allergy sufferer specifically, everything in there is gone, and whatever's left is NOT going to kill you or make you any iller than what's stuck in hardwood boards.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 10:19 am

Okay. You like carpets. I like open floors.

It's based upon our respective experiences. Personal preference.

One's tastes in flooring does not affect how good or bad a person is.

Now....if you like fish and chips, you're the Cat's Meow to me :D