Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

drwho222
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2017, 4:08 pm

Member when Kenny was a main character?
Member Chef?
Member when Cartman was a sociopath and psychopath? (God I miss that Cartman)
Member when Stan and Kyles dads were background characters at best?
Member Mr. Hat? Mr. Twig? Mr. Slave?
Member when Mr. Garrison was a teacher?
Member stand alone eps of South Park?
Member when there were more than 10 eps of South Park per season?
Member Scuzzlebutt?
Member Sticky Situation?
Member Smores Schnopps?
Member City Wok?
Member Trapper Keeper?
Member wondering who Cartmans dad was?
Member Underpants Gnomes?

Oh I member...

drwho222
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2017, 4:09 pm

Oh, and I'm still waiting for a Dr Who themed South Park ep too...

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2017, 1:35 am

I just watched that this week. :)

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2017, 6:19 pm

I remember. But I seem to be the only one who thinks seasons 1 and 2 were only good at the time but compared to the later seasons they were absolutely ridiculous.

As a South Park fan I have all the box sets - including 1 and 2, and yes I do watch those old episodes from time to time and they are worth it, but the characters just seemed so non-descript. Stan and Kyle were similar in personalities, Kenny died in every episode (up to season 5) and Cartman was some sort of unpopular tease that got on my nerves.

The best South Park seasons are between seasons 4 and 15, in my opinion. The characters developed individual personalities, hand and face expressions are more realistic, they don't keep using the same emotionless catchphrases, and Kenny remains alive in most episodes. Cartman is a psychopath but is a good character, and you see them with their hats and coats off.

The last couple of seasons have gotten a little uninteresting though, when all the episodes are one big continuum. I couldn't really get the gist of what it was about.

drwho222
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2017, 6:45 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I remember. But I seem to be the only one who thinks seasons 1 and 2 were only good at the time but compared to the later seasons they were absolutely ridiculous.

As a South Park fan I have all the box sets - including 1 and 2, and yes I do watch those old episodes from time to time and they are worth it, but the characters just seemed so non-descript. Stan and Kyle were similar in personalities, Kenny died in every episode (up to season 5) and Cartman was some sort of unpopular tease that got on my nerves.

The best South Park seasons are between seasons 4 and 15, in my opinion. The characters developed individual personalities, hand and face expressions are more realistic, they don't keep using the same emotionless catchphrases, and Kenny remains alive in most episodes. Cartman is a psychopath but is a good character, and you see them with their hats and coats off.

The last couple of seasons have gotten a little uninteresting though, when all the episodes are one big continuum. I couldn't really get the gist of what it was about.

Cartmans anal probe is my ATF ep. Is a classic.

drwho222
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2017, 6:55 pm

Joe90 wrote:

And yes, I am a die hard SP fan with all eps on DVD. I've seen them all at least twice. A show running this long will of course change with time. After they stopped killing Kenny, he really didn't have a purpose anymore and the character fell by the wayside...except for a few eps with his superhero alter ego. No more Chef, because Issac Hayes is a Scientologist and he left after an ep that directly attacked that wacko cult. They developed Kyle primarily by means of his Jewish heritage, and they just cant decide what to make of Mr/Mrs Garrison. Butters and even Tweek are now more important to most stories than Kenny.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2017, 2:47 am

Yeah Butters seems to have replaced Kenny. I remember when he died all the time. I have quit keeping up with the show because my interests changed and I will still watch it when I see it. I have watched all the new episodes on Hulu and it's way different than it was twenty years ago.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

komamanga
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2017, 3:26 am

Oh I member.
And I don't really care if it's changed I still watch a few episodes randomly every night and enjoy it. Watching it randomly makes it feel like it hasn't changed that much.
I love Kenny but I love Butters too :D
And I think Cartman is still the a**hole he was. Looking forward to the new season.

EclecticWarrior
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2017, 4:23 pm

I liked the PC Principal storyline, but surely it could have been contained in a standalone episode.

I don't know why they've gone to an episodic format. They did well with standalone eps for nearly 20 years.

WP's most sparkling member.

DX classic autism 1995, AS 2003, depression 2008

~INFP~

Scorpius14
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2017, 4:33 pm

the episode where kenny would do anything for $5 or $10; can't ever unsee it

make love not warcraft was my fav tho, was into WoW at the time it was released

nick007
Veteran
Veteran