Transgender War Hero wants to confront Trump

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2017, 8:27 pm

Transgender Navy seal and war hero wants to confront Trump over his prejudice
http://www.9news.com.au/world/2017/07/2 ... gender-ban
This should be good. The man is a war hero.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2017, 8:35 pm

Sorry! I should say the lady is a war hero (my mistake)

will@rd
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2017, 8:54 pm

The man didn't even pretend to be a lady until after his service was over. He didn't fight in a dress. He suffered mental illness after combat. It happens.

It is not compassionate to encourage anyone to indulge in a delusion that results in suicide more than 50% of the time.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2017, 9:15 pm

will@rd wrote:
The man didn't even pretend to be a lady until after his service was over. He didn't fight in a dress. He suffered mental illness after combat. It happens.

It is not compassionate to encourage anyone to indulge in a delusion that results in suicide more than 50% of the time.

The "delusion" is to believe that gender is binary, when everything in the world , everything is a probability distribution.

Flipping a coin is not a binary event.

1 in 6000 chance to land on its side
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coin_flipping

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2017, 2:24 am

will@rd wrote:
He didn't fight in a dress. .

Do women fight in dresses? why would trannies? perhaps check your facts

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2017, 3:10 am

Even Senator Orrin Hatch, a Mormon Republican, to my amazement stated that being trans isn't a choice, but a way one is born(!). Who would have believed Hatch could make Trump look like a bigot?!?!

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2017, 3:14 am

will@rd wrote:

Everyone starts out in the womb female, but half of fetuses are exposed to testosterone, turning them male. It only makes sense that some individuals are the product of a natural process that hadn't been allowed to complete for whatever reason. Mental illness doesn't come into it.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2017, 3:24 am

will@rd wrote:

and can you guess why many of those people commit suicide? :idea:

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

MushroomPrincess
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Jul 2017, 11:02 pm

cyberdad wrote:
will@rd wrote:

Woah. Don't use the word "tranny" please, that's a slur.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2017, 11:07 pm

MushroomPrincess wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
will@rd wrote:

Woah. Don't use the word "tranny" please, that's a slur.

Oops sorry, it's an Australian thingy! I'll stop using it...

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2017, 11:42 pm

will@rd wrote:

Suicide rates among transgendered individuals are likely high for two reasons.

1. Lack of acceptance by and support of friends, family, and community.

Many trasngendered individuals who come out find they are disowned or rejected by the people who they thought loved them.

This is a problem with society and not transgenderism.

2. Unrealistic expectations.

Many transexual individuals become depressed because even after surgery and hormones, they cannot achieve a realistic phenotype of the sex of the gender they believe they are.

This is why it's important that transgendered individuals are supported in such a way that they can make informed decisions and consider the prospect that they might just never pass.

If society were more accepting of transexualism or even the idea of transgenderism, and there were more services available to properly counsel transgendered individuals, suicide rates would likely significantly decline.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2017, 12:01 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
will@rd wrote:

Everyone starts out in the womb female, but half of fetuses are exposed to testosterone, turning them male. It only makes sense that some individuals are the product of a natural process that hadn't been allowed to complete for whatever reason. Mental illness doesn't come into it.

This is partially correct. The basic human form is female. A single gene is responsible for phenotypical males, and that is the SRY gene. It's typically carried on the Y chromosome, though the Y chromosome can be missing this gene (resulting in an XY female) or an X chromosome can carry the gene (resulting in an XX male). The SRY gene triggers the ovotestes to develop into testes and start producing testosterone which drives the development of male genitalia. The Y chromosome also contains genes responsible for mullarian duct absorption (this would otherwise develop into a vaginal canal and uterus, and actually does in some men who lack the gene) and also genes for sperm generation. The remaining genes on the Y chromosome are duplicates of X chromosome genes needed for life, and likely some auxiliary genes that don't play a role in sex development but are supportive in some way.

But you are correct that the primary driver of phenotype differentiation are androgens. If anything inhibits androgen production in the developing fetus, or prevents the fetus from responding to it, regardless of chromosomes, the fetus will develop a female phenotype.

In the case of complete androgen insensitivity syndrome, the fetus will have a completely female phenotype with female genitalia and will not be able to ever develop a male phenotype.

In the case of classical congenital adrenal hyperplasia, in which an enzyme deficiency can result in the over production of androgens, the fetus can completely virilize regardless of it's sex chromosomes, and genetic females can end up with male genitalia and will develop as phenotypical males unless the androgens are blocked or prevented from forming. Because females with classical congenital adrenal hyperplasia do not have the SRY gene or the gene that causes mullarian duct absorption, they possess internal female reproductive organs and can ovulate, carry a pregnancy, and give birth with the right medical intervention.

Anyway, I've previously made a post on this topic with photos to illustrate, however I thought I would reiterate a little for Will@rd.

MushroomPrincess
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Jul 2017, 12:15 am

Kraichgauer wrote:

Yep. To be more specific, there are two distinct "waves" of testosterone that generally occur in a boy's prenatal development. The first wave happens at about week 10, and it masculinizes the body. The second wave is shortly before birth, and it masculinizes the structures of the brain. It's speculated that in transgender individuals, the child receives one of these waves but not the other (in MTF babies, they would receive the first wave but not the second).

This theory makes a lot of sense to me. I was an induced labor, and delivered by forceps, so the circumstances of my birth would explain why I got to keep my delightfully quirky girl brain :)

[edit] And thank you Chronos, for the wonderfully informative post. This stuff fascinates me, but I'm not really a science person so the finer details often escape me.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2017, 12:22 am

Chronos wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
will@rd wrote:

This is partially correct. The basic human form is female. A single gene is responsible for phenotypical males, and that is the SRY gene. It's typically carried on the Y chromosome, though the Y chromosome can be missing this gene (resulting in an XY female) or an X chromosome can carry the gene (resulting in an XX male). The SRY gene triggers the ovotestes to develop into testes and start producing testosterone which drives the development of male genitalia. The Y chromosome also contains genes responsible for mullarian duct absorption (this would otherwise develop into a vaginal canal and uterus, and actually does in some men who lack the gene) and also genes for sperm generation. The remaining genes on the Y chromosome are duplicates of X chromosome genes needed for life, and likely some auxiliary genes that don't play a role in sex development but are supportive in some way.

But you are correct that the primary driver of phenotype differentiation are androgens. If anything inhibits androgen production in the developing fetus, or prevents the fetus from responding to it, regardless of chromosomes, the fetus will develop a female phenotype.

In the case of complete androgen insensitivity syndrome, the fetus will have a completely female phenotype with female genitalia and will not be able to ever develop a male phenotype.

In the case of classical congenital adrenal hyperplasia, in which an enzyme deficiency can result in the over production of androgens, the fetus can completely virilize regardless of it's sex chromosomes, and genetic females can end up with male genitalia and will develop as phenotypical males unless the androgens are blocked or prevented from forming. Because females with classical congenital adrenal hyperplasia do not have the SRY gene or the gene that causes mullarian duct absorption, they possess internal female reproductive organs and can ovulate, carry a pregnancy, and give birth with the right medical intervention.

Anyway, I've previously made a post on this topic with photos to illustrate, however I thought I would reiterate a little for Will@rd.

Okay, I knew it was something like that. :)

karathraceandherspecialdestiny
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2017, 1:08 am

You guys and your science. Don't you know you're just supposed to assume transgender people are mentally ill and wrong, and not inform yourselves about the actual science behind the phenomenon? It's the new American way. :lol:

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2017, 1:11 am

karathraceandherspecialdestiny wrote:
You guys and your science. Don't you know you're just supposed to assume transgender people are mentally ill and wrong, and not inform yourselves about the actual science behind the phenomenon? It's the new American way. :lol:

Next thing you know, we'll be saying the earth is more than six thousand years old! :lol: