Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2017, 8:27 pm

Can someone please help me? I don't know what milk to buy, I hear cow milk is bad. Is Organic Milk healthy?

Corny
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2017, 9:01 pm

Who told you that milk is bad? I thought milk was great for you. With calcium for your bones.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2017, 9:06 pm

^ no, it's bad news.
Linked with osteoporosis and countless other maladies.

The only milk I'd consider drinking is home made almond milk or coconut milk.
Store bought almond milk has some questionable additives.

Corny
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2017, 9:10 pm

Well I like it and drink it and put it on my cereal. And Chocolate Milk is my all time fav drink. No joke or exaggeration.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2017, 9:50 pm

I react badly to milk so maybe I'm biased.
You could try lactose free milk.

Corny
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2017, 9:51 pm

I have nothing against milk so no.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2017, 9:52 pm

^ I meant that for Kitty.

Corny
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2017, 9:53 pm

Oh sorry about that. Ok then.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2017, 9:56 pm

^ no, my fault.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2017, 9:59 pm

Any animal product is supposed to be bad for you. Milk, meat, cheese etc.

All the other types of "milk" I know of are made from plants like soy beans and almonds. Basically vegetarian milk.

Then you can take it to the next level and get organic vegetarian milk.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2017, 12:55 am

I had heard of this several years ago and went looking for concrete references of reasonably legit nature. I figured that ABC news and Harvard University were good enough.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/WellnessNe ... id=8450036

Quote:
" Got milk? If you do, take a moment to ponder the true oddness of being able to drink milk after you're a baby.
No other species but humans can. And most humans can't either.
If you're American or European it's hard to realize this, but being able to digest milk as an adult is one weird genetic adaptation.
It's not normal. Somewhat less than 40% of people in the world retain the ability to digest lactose after childhood. The numbers are often given as close to 0% of Native Americans, 5% of Asians, 25% of African and Caribbean peoples, 50% of Mediterranean peoples and 90% of northern Europeans. Sweden has one of the world's highest percentages of lactase tolerant people.
Being able to digest milk is so strange that scientists say we shouldn't really call lactose intolerance a disease, because that presumes it's abnormal. Instead, they call it lactase persistence, indicating what's really weird is the ability to continue to drink milk.

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritions ... -from-milk
Quote:
Possible Increased Risk of Ovarian Cancer

High levels of galactose, a sugar released by the digestion of lactose in milk, have been studied as possibly damaging to the ovaries and leading to ovarian cancer. Although such associations have not been reported in all studies, there may be potential harm in consuming high amounts of lactose. A recent pooled analysis of 12 prospective cohort studies, which included more than 500,000 women, found that women with high intakes of lactose—equivalent to that found in 3 cups of milk per day—had a modestly higher risk of ovarian cancer, compared to women with the lowest lactose intakes. (15) The study did not find any association between overall milk or dairy product intake and ovarian cancer. Some researchers have hypothesized, however, that modern industrial milk production practices have changed milk’s hormone composition in ways that could increase the risk of ovarian and other hormone-related cancers. (16) More research is needed.

Probable Increased Risk of Prostate Cancer

A diet high in calcium has been implicated as a probable risk factor for prostate cancer. (17) In a Harvard study of male health professionals, men who drank two or more glasses of milk a day were almost twice as likely to develop advanced prostate cancer as those who didn’t drink milk at all. (18) The association appears to be with calcium itself, rather than with dairy products in general: A more recent analysis of the Harvard study participants found that men with the highest calcium intake—at least 2,000 milligrams a day—had nearly double the risk of developing fatal prostate cancer as those who had the lowest intake (less than 500 milligrams per day). (19)

Clearly, although more research is needed, we cannot be confident that high milk or calcium intake is safe.
Currently, there’s no good evidence that consuming more than one serving of milk per day in addition to a reasonable diet (which typically provides about 300 milligrams of calcium per day from nondairy sources) will reduce fracture risk. Because of unresolved concerns about the risk of ovarian and prostate cancer, it may be prudent to avoid higher intakes of dairy products.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2017, 1:40 am

I don't drink milk alone, I put it in my cereal & make chocolate milk.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2017, 1:42 am

Raleigh wrote:
I react badly to milk so maybe I'm biased.
You could try lactose free milk.

Thanks

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2017, 5:12 am

Listen to your own body. Anything is bad in excessive amounts. I tolerate very little milk. Other family members have no problems digesting it.

Try different things and see how you feel. Except soy milk, which can mess with your hormones.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2017, 2:40 pm

I will check out lactose milk or organic milk when I go grocery shopping.