Is it bad to start looking at other jobs after a month in?

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2017, 9:00 pm

I guess I am just not so sure how much I like my job, I really don't mind the work...but I guess its not quite the kind of place I thought it was going to be. And there aren't really regular breaks or anything, sometimes when its busy I don't even take one because I never get a chance. I am doing dish-washing and a lot of times the only one back there and when tons of stuff keeps coming back I can't very well go out for a break. So IDK maybe not the best organized.

I like a lot of people who work there, some have irritated me a little...but I think you'll have that anywhere. But yeah it is kind of high stress environment so not sure how long I can really work there before becoming burnt out. I think I would certainly be able to find something new but, I don't want to just give up on this job...just feel like it would be kind of a jerk move. Also it is a new place that just opened so perhaps it will get better if I stick around longer but either way I guess it doesn't hurt to at least look at other job openings and see if something seems like a better fit.

pineapplehead
Raven
Raven

27 Jul 2017, 5:41 pm

Any new job will wonder why you want to leave your current one so quickly. If you answer honestly, they'll just think you'll jump from their ship after a month too.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2017, 6:31 pm

pineapplehead wrote:
Any new job will wonder why you want to leave your current one so quickly. If you answer honestly, they'll just think you'll jump from their ship after a month too.

Well it has already been a full month, so it will be over a month....but that is what I was kind of thinking, if I leave too soon then new places my wonder if I'd stick around or not which may not be the best thing. So I am going to try and stick with this as long as possible.

I just don't really see myself wanting to do it for anymore than a year at most, at least not at that place. But yeah trying to make sure and not hyperfocus on this, because I know if I dwell on it then I could trick myself into thinking its worse than it is.

I also have never had a job for more than a month before, had two past jobs, and aside from that tried to go to college and dropped out and got on SSI disability when I realized I had aspergers/got it diagnosed and also my co-morbid issues where also causing a lot of problems. I am still on SSI and transitioning into working, so it certainly would make it simpler if I keep this job at for the 6 month trial period they give you at least.

AngryAngryAngry
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Aug 2017, 4:59 am

Absolutely. It is normal to keep your job options open.
If your current employer questions you. Just say to them, that you're always looking, you're a rolling stone.
But that you enjoy this job and hope that as the company grows it will fulfill your expectations. (meaning that currently it is not fulfilling your expectations - insinuation).
If they do quesiton you further, you can explain to them what is more stressful than you were expecting, and hopefully they will address that issue.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 5:10 am

No problem, sounds like you're in the wrong spot.

Just don't advertise that you are looking for a new job so your current employer can see it.

beady
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 5:57 am

No employer wants to hear you are a rolling stone nor that the position is too stressful.
I would suggest staying for the six months you mentioned. By then you will see if you feel lass stressful and if there is a way to take your breaks. It's really not right if the situation makes it nearly impossible for you to take a break and I would start finding a way for that to happen. Ask your manager how you can fit in your break(s) as soon as possible. It may be that the work simply has to pile up while you leave for your break and you need to just accept that. The world can certainly wait now and then to get it's clean dishes.
Once you get used to the work and the manager does a better job of covering breaks you may start to enjoy it.
If the manager is not nice and makes no effort to help you then you know you gave the position a real try and it's time to move on.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 6:02 am

Look for another job and see what comes up. I don't see the point in staying somewhere that is going to be bad for you.

I think that most people will understand why you want to leave that kind of job. Even prospective employers. Don't tell them you're a rolling stone. Just tell them it wasn't the role for you and you want to settle somewhere more permanent.

What are you looking for instead?

Sovek
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Aug 2017, 8:20 am

My step-sister has had far more jobs than me which probably is why I make way more than she does other than our different fields.

Have you had any other job for at least a year or more?

My own experience? Not entirely bad, but if you have a history of moving from job to job it may difficult to find one. My quickest move was probably from my last job (pipe laying) to my current one (Electrical top helper) but I didn't come off as a rolling stone. My job was taking me 50+ miles away and paying 9.50/hr after I was told to expect 13, I needed something closer and better paying if I was expected to work that hard.

And they hired me probably for a single reason. I was willing to learn. Here I am a year later and my foreman is talking about giving me a helper and setting me loose on my own store in a year or so.

Also, DO NOT mention rolling stone. Thats probably the worst thing you can mention to a potential employer. Instead something along the lines of "I thought it would be something different and it doesnt really fit me". This would let your employer fill you on on what goes on and you would have a better chance of finding out what the job is really like and if you would fit in.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 8:38 am

Try to do both, in a sense. Try to hang in there at least for the six month trial period, while also simultaneously looking for other jobs but don't let this be known by anyone.

It's always best to job-search for your next position "on the quiet" while staying at your current position and not rocking the boat or announcing that you're looking elsewhere.

And yes, do not say anything like being a rolling stone, lol. Worse thing a boss can hear; employers are looking for people who stay for the long term, and hoping to avoid fast turnover, even though some fast turnover is just a reality in many jobs. They are used to people coming and going, especially in tough jobs like dish washing, etc. but still at the same time they hope for a stayer, like all bosses would.

About taking breaks -- I'm no employment law expert, but from what I understand, there are usually legal guidelines about break times, duration and frequency, etc, and if you're not getting to take your breaks that's actually unfair and against the guidelines that are there to protect you. Not that you can't choose to skip you break, and I know what it's like to feel like the pressure of the work means you feel like you can't take a break. But the law says you're entitled to breaks and it may help to look up your State laws regarding this.

Taking full advantage of the breaks that are due to you by law may even help you feel less like you want to quit, less burned out.

Don't feel bad about looking elsewhere for something better; it's your life and if it's not working out for you you have the right to feel free to job-search.

The day you do find something else and have to hand in your notice, even the boss, while not loving it, will not necessarily take it personally -- like I say, certain tough jobs like that, they kind of already know it's hard to keep someone and staff are going to come and go.

Moving from job to job after only a short time is not, of course, the ideal thing to have on a resume. But with these kinds of jobs, very often an employer kind of realizes this is par for the course and will overlook it somewhat, even though yeah it's not really ideal.

SilverBoltsisWmax
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Aug 2017, 8:52 am

One thing I find that will help is when you separate job from personal. I have a night job that is personal and everyone I work with is "family" in a sense. However I also have a day job that is slightly toxic, frustrating at times and well feels awful a lot of time if I go into it with the same mindset and expectation as my night job. Separating mentality from is this job just a check? can help you have a more relaxed mindset at work. You are not there to help the company grow you are there to work get your money and go home, take your breaks lol.

To answer the first question, no it's not bad but I wouldn't leave your first job without two weeks and also without making sure the second one has been researched more and will be better for you in many ways that the loss of this first job is worth it.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 9:21 am

A short contract for a month is fine on a resume when it's mixed in with longer term jobs. I don't think it would be a jerk move to leave for something better, employees are usually only a number/replaceable. You have to do right by yourself.
It can wear a person down when they are unhappy in their work and a kitchen can be a tough place for someone on the spectrum.
Look out for another job, but select the next one very carefully, only go for something that you could tolerate long term/for a year or maybe even short term relief work.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 3:46 pm

Well yes, if a job was actually just a short contract officially, and was always going to be just for a month or other short term, or you had a string of temporary work because you were signed up to a temping agency, of course that's okay on a resume and there's nothing to explain except the truth that these were contractually temporary positions.

What I meant when I said a month here and a month there doesn't look good on a resume is when one's resume is full of regular jobs that were meant by all concerned to be indefinite, permanent positions, but you quit over and over and, if honest, would have to explain the multiple quitting.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

22 Aug 2017, 1:22 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
I guess I am just not so sure how much I like my job, I really don't mind the work...but I guess its not quite the kind of place I thought it was going to be. And there aren't really regular breaks or anything, sometimes when its busy I don't even take one because I never get a chance. I am doing dish-washing and a lot of times the only one back there and when tons of stuff keeps coming back I can't very well go out for a break. So IDK maybe not the best organized.
Things were like that at the IHOP I was a dishwasher at. I don't know if dishwashing is like that at most other places or not thou. The job may get alittle easier as your there longer cuz you'd get more used to things & get faster at the process. Things gradually got alittle easier the longer I was there but there was still defiantly times they were very hectic. I had originally planned to look for a new job after I got 6 months experience but I kind of forgot about it till after I was there 8/9 months when management started pushing me to stay later than my shift cuz the guy who came in after me was usually late. I had an interview a few weeks after I applied at WalMart & I officially started a couple weeks later. My advice is try not to be too discouraged & try to focus on the good aspects about it like good people there & how your improving yourself. I know this is easier said than done. Your also Welcome to PM me if you want to rant/blow off steam to somebody who's been there & doesn't mind chatting with people from here if anyone's interested.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2017, 2:47 pm

A guy in college once said to me, "Everyone should spend at least two years serving in the military...if only to learn how to stick with a job they hate."

Sound advice. 8)

Life makes you do things you don't always like. Learning to tough it out is critical because often your time in those lousy jobs makes you stronger to handle things, and it shows you are reliable. Unless a job makes you so miserable that alcohol/drug abuse or issues of self-harm emerge, quitting just because you don't like it doesn't look good.

Of course, choosing to start looking for something better for you IS acceptable, and if you find something better, move on. If someone asks about such a short tenure at the earlier job, just say you were offered an opportunity too good to not take it.

In today's world, it appears many "successful" employees stay in a job typically 2-3 years before "moving up" to something they deem better rather than staying 10-20 years with one employer like our parents/grandparents sought to do.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2017, 3:05 pm

Well a month has passed now. How's the job going Sweetleaf? Any better?

Belushi87
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Sep 2017, 3:44 am

if you know that this job isn't for you and they know that aspergers then maybe they can either work around it to help you or tell them that its not working out.