Page 1 of 4 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

XenoMind
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2017, 11:30 pm

So, a few quotations that I've extracted from a discussion that attracted my attention some time ago. I think that it represents quite accurately what NTs really think of us.

The article was named: "UK Sperm Bank Doesn't Accept Donors with Dyslexia and Asperger's"

Quote:
That makes sense, these aren't desirable or beneficial traits to have

(+124 votes)

Quote:
Not exactly. Asperger's has both negative and beneficial traits. Some people argue that it's a beneficial condition in general.

(-87 votes)

Reply:
Quote:
said no one ever

(+87 votes)

Quote:
> "Who do you think invented the first stone spear?" she asked during an interview with the Cornell Chronicle on March 12. "It wasn't the people chit-chatting around the fire. It was the Asperger's."

Thats a ridiculous claim. The vast majority of inventors are not autistic. The average person with Aspergers is a less creative, less capable, and less happy person.

(+26 votes)

Quote:
Sorry but no, an excessive interest in elevators, locomotives or timetables will probably not contribute to the advancement of mankind.

(+10 points)

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2017, 2:32 pm

I'm not interested in elevators, locomotives or timetables at all. Which just shows how much these mad geniuses know about anything. :roll:

I have been interested in drawing cartoons and animation all my life, however. But as a youngster I had no way of knowing how much the world would change. Western animation is almost dead. Especially 2D western animation. Or 2d cartoons of any kind. So I guess I'm worthless and need to kill myself now. Or move to Japan where 2D animation is still popular.

Like that's going to happen ever. Ha ha. Better get out the cyanide. :skull:

slw1990
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2017, 3:59 pm

How long ago was that discussion?
I'm hoping that maybe some of the movies that came out within the past year might cause some people to not have such a negative view towards autistics.

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2017, 4:19 pm

XenoMind wrote:
I think that it represents quite accurately what NTs really think of us.

That's what *I* think of us.

XenoMind
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2017, 4:40 pm

slw1990 wrote:
How long ago was that discussion?
I'm hoping that maybe some of the movies that came out within the past year might cause some people to not have such a negative view towards autistics.

About one year ago. But I don't think that a couple movies can really change something.

XenoMind
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2017, 4:58 pm

Chichikov wrote:

You do realize that people are different, don't you?

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2017, 8:43 pm

I don't really care about being insulted. I think it makes sense to not take sperm from people with conditions that have genetic backgrounds.

XenoMind
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2017, 10:25 pm

BettaPonic wrote:
I don't really care about being insulted.

And that's why people feel that it's perfectly fine to insult and ostracize us.

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2017, 4:50 am

XenoMind wrote:
BettaPonic wrote:
I don't really care about being insulted.

And that's why people feel that it's perfectly fine to insult and ostracize us.

And the problem is? If you complain to much about it then you get treated even worse.

XenoMind
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2017, 9:54 am

BettaPonic wrote:
If you complain to much about it then you get treated even worse.

I don't think that you understand how it works at all. Ask the feminists, LGBT and afro-americans about it.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2017, 10:01 am

XenoMind wrote:
BettaPonic wrote:

I don't think that you understand how it works at all. Ask the feminists, LGBT and afro-americans about it.

Do people on the spectrum get more insults that feminists, LGBT and afro-americans ?

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2017, 10:04 am

XenoMind wrote:
BettaPonic wrote:

Complaining seems to have made two of these groups viewed worse. They didn't complain they showed rights they didn't have.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2017, 9:03 pm

I choose not to let the negative attitudes of the so called experts get in the way of my happiness.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2017, 9:30 pm

Is it just me or are more and more people on WP telling us basically that our being autistic is horrible and not assuming negative articles about autism is fake or wrong, and we should all be normal or perfect and other stupid and impossible things? We even had a complete troll on here just a couple of weeks ago calling us spergs and the R word who ended up being banned, fortunately.

Why am I the one who is always wrong for being an advocate for autism while other people on the spectrum who hate it always right? But then again everything I stand up for is wrong and makes me a horrible feminist or SJW or whatever.

I can't really be a feminist though. I like the Disney Princesses, especially Belle, Jasmine, and Snow White, and I sometimes wear pink. :lol:

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2017, 6:38 am

XenoMind wrote:
Chichikov wrote:

You do realize that people are different, don't you?

Yes, but that's how autism generally is. Stereotypes are there for a reason, they are broadly accurate.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2017, 11:01 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
Is it just me or are more and more people on WP telling us basically that our being autistic is horrible and not assuming negative articles about autism is fake or wrong, and we should all be normal or perfect and other stupid and impossible things? We even had a complete troll on here just a couple of weeks ago calling us spergs and the R word who ended up being banned, fortunately.

Why am I the one who is always wrong for being an advocate for autism while other people on the spectrum who hate it always right? But then again everything I stand up for is wrong and makes me a horrible feminist or SJW or whatever.

I can't really be a feminist though. I like the Disney Princesses, especially Belle, Jasmine, and Snow White, and I sometimes wear pink. :lol:

I find it goes in cycles. When I first got here in 2013 people were relatively positive about it. In 2014 it was very negative with people doubting other members were impaired enough to be autistic. It has gone back and forth since then. I find now that it is a relatively positive. Recently I noticed that for the first time in a few years if a member gets a diagnosis and is happy about it they get congratuated. It was like that when I joined but then that stopped after the practice was bitterly critized.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman