Page 1 of 5 [ 79 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2017, 7:21 am

ABC.go.com wrote:
"The Good Doctor" Series Premiere MONDAY SEPTEMBER 25 10|9c on ABC

By Derek Wong | Jul 25th, 2017

The Good Doctor series premiere is MONDAY SEPTEMBER 25 10|9c on ABC! Shaun Murphy (Freddie Highmore, Bates Motel), a young surgeon with autism and savant syndrome, relocates from a quiet country life to join a prestigious hospital's surgical unit. Alone in the world and unable to personally connect with those around him, Shaun uses his extraordinary medical gifts to save lives and challenge the skepticism of his colleagues....

http://abc.go.com/shows/abc-new-shows/n ... oon-to-abc

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Good_ ... (TV_series)

Hm. The Wikipedia.org article about this new television series describes its setting as "the prestigious pediatric department at San Jose St. Bonaventure Hospital, where he uses his talents to save lives and challenge the skepticism of his colleagues." Sooo, Doogie Howser, M.D. meets The Big Bang Theory ... gone dramatic. I wonder if the series is already too overloaded with intentions.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2017, 12:34 pm

And, here's the official trailer for the program: ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYlZDTru55g ).

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2017, 2:54 pm

TheMighty.com wrote:
ABC Adds Show About a Doctor With Autism 'The Good Doctor' to Fall Primetime Line-Up

By Jordan Davidson
Staff

ABC’s new show, “The Good Doctor,” set to premiere this fall, tells the story of Shaun Murphy, a young doctor on the autism spectrum, who has savant syndrome.

...The Mighty reached out to ABC to see if people from the autism community were consulted in making the show and will update when we hear back.

...This is not ABC’s first disability-oriented show. Last year, ABC introduced “Speechless,” a 30-minute comedy about a family with a teenage son who has cerebral palsy. The show stars Micah Fowler, an actor with cerebral palsy, as the main character.

https://themighty.com/2017/05/abc-the-g ... or-autism/

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2017, 8:33 am

And, here's another official trailer for the program: ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4f6Y1lwUWws ).

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2017, 4:57 pm

I am looking forward to seeing the show even though he looks like yet another variation of the rain man stereotype. Same director as "House" is intriguing to me.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2017, 5:32 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
I am looking forward to seeing the show even though he looks like yet another variation of the rain man stereotype. Same director as "House" is intriguing to me.

I though it was odd that the trailer described the primary character as "high-functioning" but "also has Savant Syndrome" given that savants aren't, by definition, high-functioning according to those who diagnose Savant Syndrome. This alone makes me wonder if the creator, producers and writers (let alone the actors) know what they are talking about.

Still, I am intrigued. I am certain that American viewers will experience another round of civic dialogue about all things autistic. If that is all that come from the program, I say "good."

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2017, 7:03 am

I believe that the premiere broadcast was better than I expected. Whereas the teasers and trailers showed few autistic behaviors and characteristics, the episode itself showed a complete picture of the lead character.

There are a few new related videos available today on YouTube.com including one where the cast members describe their characters ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9pt4Zgx6Pc ).

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2017, 7:29 am

Wanted to see it. Didn't get to, because KIDS. Maybe I'll find it on demand.

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2017, 3:22 pm

Doesn't seem that good to me.

sunshinescj
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Sep 2017, 6:07 pm

I quite like it. So far it seems better than Young Sheldon. He doesn't seem terribly sterotypical e.g. He shows emotion but also bolts and run i.e. Impulse control issues granted only when in intense/emergency situations when unable to verbally explain so we'll see. He's aware that other people can/will/do manipulate him and asks for clarification of their intentions. I think you can be a high functioning savant (Kim Peek) Savant Syndrome is based on superior abnormal abilities and often deficits but not always. As an undiagnosed Aspie with a passion for science/medicine I'll take what I can get especially a show that seems this good!

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2017, 7:26 am

After last week's premiere episode (S1 E1 Pilot - Burnt Food), I liked the character portrayals by Freddie Highmore (Dr. Shaun Murphy) and Richard Schiff (Dr. Aaron Glassman) ( http://abc.go.com/shows/the-good-doctor ) because I was most worried about their characters based on the poorly edited broadcast teasers. But, I considered the remaining cast to be underwhelming and overpopulated in every scene. I understand that conflict in the workplace is a necessary plot line, but did every character need to be so arrogant and hostile while appearing to be as young as their internship subordinates? Give me some physicians and surgeons with a little gray hair, thanks. Their attempts to dismiss Murphy might have meant something more than ego.

In last night's episode (S1 E2 Mount Rushmore), the hostilities remained, but at least there was some defensiveness coming from the Murphy and Glassman characters. We also learned more about Murphy's background and resulting personality. Well done.

AspieSingleDad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2017, 1:31 pm

AspieUtah wrote:
After last week's premiere episode (S1 E1 Pilot - Burnt Food), I liked the character portrayals by Freddie Highmore (Dr. Shaun Murphy) and Richard Schiff (Dr. Aaron Glassman) ( http://abc.go.com/shows/the-good-doctor ) because I was most worried about their characters based on the poorly edited broadcast teasers. But, I considered the remaining cast to be underwhelming and overpopulated in every scene. I understand that conflict in the workplace is a necessary plot line, but did every character need to be so arrogant and hostile while appearing to be as young as their internship subordinates? Give me some physicians and surgeons with a little gray hair, thanks. Their attempts to dismiss Murphy might have meant something more than ego.

In last night's episode (S1 E2 Mount Rushmore), the hostilities remained, but at least there was some defensiveness coming from the Murphy and Glassman characters. We also learned more about Murphy's background and resulting personality. Well done.

I'm not actually asking this question as an argument, I'm really curious. Didn't you find Dr. Murphy's portrayal of an Aspie to be a bit exaggerated, a bit TOO autistic? I guess I just wish the character were more subtle, but I've only seen the first episode.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2017, 2:58 pm

AspieSingleDad wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:

I'm not actually asking this question as an argument, I'm really curious. Didn't you find Dr. Murphy's portrayal of an Aspie to be a bit exaggerated, a bit TOO autistic? I guess I just wish the character were more subtle, but I've only seen the first episode.

Yes. Too many actors overact their autistic roles. I even believe that Dustin Hoffman did with his portrayal of Raymond Babbitt. But, I can't be too critical when the research they do is limited.

AspieSingleDad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2017, 3:59 pm

I watched the second episode, and I thought it was significantly better than the first. It even had some pretty good humor in there at the benefit of stereotypical autistic failings at social awareness.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2017, 4:38 pm

They had him exhibiting practically every autistic trait which is not usually the case. I liked that there are autismphobe characters because that is realistic.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2017, 4:42 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
...I liked that there are autismphobe characters because that is realistic.

Yes, it is, but I was criticizing the choice of actors as antagonists. Adding in even one attending physician who looked, say, 45 years of age would make it seem less, ummm ... cheap?