getting targeted/picked on at work?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

that1weirdgrrrl
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2017, 3:02 pm

this is sort of weird, but i do a really good job at my work (i've been there for a long time). but my co-workers have been doing weird things lately like making fun of me behind my back (in web posts; i find them later). or having HR call me in for strange "problems" that i am supposedly having at work (which aren't true).

does anyone else experience this strange social dynamic at work? how do you deal with it? i try to just ignore it but sometimes it escalates to the point i fear i might lose my job and the stress sucks.

SixthTitan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Jul 2017, 4:03 pm

Yes, this has occurred for me many times.
What you need to start doing is documenting everything that's been said because there is a slight chance you might be let go for being "unfit" or some other excuse.

if you gather enough information and make it clear that you plan to file a discrimination charge with the EEOC, you might be able to have them make a settlement with you.

The other option is to try to do whatever they're complaining about but most of the time the things they complain to you about, you know can't always be fixed.

I also would document and record anytime your collages talk behind your back.
Start doing some detective work and fire back if need to, make it clear that you won't be subjected to bullying and harassment.

Best of luck to you girl. 8)

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2017, 6:29 pm

That hasn't really happened at my job, a couple people have seemed rude a couple times...but nothing that seems like a group effort. I think if I felt bullied at my job I'd probably start looking at other jobs and aim to quit before they fire me...because why put up with that kind of bullcrap. Also I wouldn't even say anything about why, I'd just put in the two weeks notice or whatever and move on...during my school-years, I kinda learned that if you really try and confront the situation then people see you as the one 'throwing a fit' or whatever so best to just leave the situation I think.

rio76
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

01 Aug 2017, 6:26 am

do you have a personality clash with any co-worker?

it happened to me in a previous job. my superior and i got along really well and i was higher-educated than my co-workers. i don't like small talk or fit in well with them. got targeted by the bunch of them who got jealous.

if HR or your boss questions you about the "weird" stuff that people have been saying about you, clarify yourself so that rumours and lies are quashed.

AngryAngryAngry
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Aug 2017, 4:36 am

Set up a secret recording device, for when you are out of the room.
This can be used as evidence later.

Hopefully you can find a job that is does not have coworkers in the future.
There are sociopaths, idiots and they both love to harass people.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2017, 6:28 pm

I had one incident where I kinda felt like someone was picking on me...but for whatever reason they haven't had a nasty attitude at me since then. Like I am not sure if somehow I actually stood my ground well, or if she was just having a bad day that time and being b*tchy just because of that. But regardless I haven't had any issues since that one little incident, basically she brought me a dish that hadn't been properly clean the night before and came off like she was accusing me of like purposely putting away a dirty dish...and it did piss me off. I mean most times if stuff doesnt get quite clean they just bring it back and more respectfully say 'hey this is still dirty, could you run it again when you get a chance.' but the way she went about it seemed kind of aggressive so it bothered me.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2017, 9:37 am

that1weirdgrrrl wrote:
this is sort of weird, but i do a really good job at my work (i've been there for a long time). but my co-workers have been doing weird things lately like making fun of me behind my back (in web posts; i find them later). or having HR call me in for strange "problems" that i am supposedly having at work (which aren't true).

does anyone else experience this strange social dynamic at work? how do you deal with it? i try to just ignore it but sometimes it escalates to the point i fear i might lose my job and the stress sucks.

Yes, I was bullied at a position which had employment supports and an owner of the company who had a son with severe autism. Sad to say neither the job coaches or the management of the job wanted to take responsibility for anything. "I was just kidding" or "They were just kidding," was what I heard and that I was the one with the problem because I was in college and thought that I was superior to everyone else there. However, I learned to advocate for myself which caused them to back off.

Anyway, my suggestion is that you go on the internet and find any evidence where they are making fun of you, take screen shots and share them with human resources and with anyone who will listen to you.

You can also take samples of your special projects, put them in a portfolio and show these people your work because it will show them that you have skills that they don't have.