Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2017, 4:26 pm

Alright, so I've been wondering about this lately. What exactly is considered a mental breakdown? Not that it matters too much, but I've been wondering if my "moments" would be considered this or not. I guess that my moments would probably just be considered a sensory issue, but I don't know what my response to being overwhelmed would be called.

Usually, I'll try certain methods to try and stay calm, like listening to music or focusing on something to try and not get too overwhelmed. However, if this proves to be ineffective, then I'll often have to retreat to somewhere quiet like a toilet stall, ect. Usually while I'm there I will curl up, close my eyes and cover my ears and pretend to be somewhere else like a wide-stretching meadow, or a quiet garden party, or somewhere where a helicopter is peacefully hovering in the distance.

I guess you could almost consider this meditation, idk. Then I will remove my hands from my ears and open my eyes and it feels like I've just come out from being underwater. Usually at this point I am fine to return to the scene and I carry on as normal, however sometimes I have to make a trip back to the toilet stall and repeat the process until I am ok to return.

What would this be considered? I know I used to do it so much when I was at school, that people thought I had diarrhoea lol. :D

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2017, 5:05 pm

I'm no expert but that doesn't sound like a mental breakdown as it seems too short and you recover too quickly but I don't think these are criteria for a breakdown ( although it is no longer considered a medical term ) so who knows.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

Britte
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2017, 7:26 pm

I agree with SaveFarris' input, and, I would add that it sounds similar to what happens to me, when I experience sensory overload. So, perhaps you are correct, in that your issue is sensory based. You seem to manage it, quite well. Good on you, for developing that skill. Indeed, it is definitely, a form of meditation. If you are interested, you might also want to try standing in the stall and placing the palms of your hands against the walls on each side, and pushing against them, as hard as you can, until you run out of strength. I find this, extremely, effective.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2017, 2:46 am

SaveFerris wrote:
I'm no expert but that doesn't sound like a mental breakdown as it seems too short and you recover too quickly but I don't think these are criteria for a breakdown ( although it is no longer considered a medical term ) so who knows.

Ah right, I didn't actually know that. The few people in my life that know about what I go through usually refer to my moments as a mental breakdown, but that never seemed right to me.

Britte wrote:
I agree with SaveFerris' input, and, I would add that it sounds similar to what happens to me, when I experience sensory overload. So, perhaps you are correct, in that your issue is sensory based. You seem to manage it, quite well. Good on you, for developing that skill. Indeed, it is definitely, a form of meditation. If you are interested, you might also want to try standing in the stall and placing the palms of your hands against the walls on each side, and pushing against them, as hard as you can, until you run out of strength. I find this, extremely, effective.

Thanks, it's a skill I learnt fairly early on in my life that I still use. I've never really considered it a skill though, or really meditation for that matter, more just a routine that is calming to me in overwhelming situations. But I guess you could consider it meditation and perhaps a skill, yes.

I've never thought about the wall thing, perhaps I should try that some day to see if it helps me at all. :)

Britte
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2017, 3:08 am

: )

Vex
Butterfly
Butterfly

31 Jul 2017, 3:56 am

Do you have much anxiety? Sounds similar to what I go through when i have an anxiety attack. For me it usually results in me having to go meditate, sit by myself and not talk to anyone for a while, put headphones on with no sound, and if im home i'll have a shower and go take my dog for a walk in the park or sit by myself in the sun... Old highly unproductive coping mechanisms were most commonly taking a bunch of downers/drinking or smoking a joint or 2.

Have had my share of breakdowns and as people have said they normally last for a weeks not hours. Im no expert on other people though...

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2017, 8:10 am

Vex wrote:
Do you have much anxiety? Sounds similar to what I go through when i have an anxiety attack. For me it usually results in me having to go meditate, sit by myself and not talk to anyone for a while, put headphones on with no sound, and if im home i'll have a shower and go take my dog for a walk in the park or sit by myself in the sun... Old highly unproductive coping mechanisms were most commonly taking a bunch of downers/drinking or smoking a joint or 2.

Have had my share of breakdowns and as people have said they normally last for a weeks not hours. I'm no expert on other people though...

I think I have a tendency to over-think things which can make me feel anxious, but generally- no.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2017, 3:13 pm

Lost_dragon wrote:

What would this be considered?

It is basically a Mindfulness exercise.