Any Other Girls Confused by the "Extreme Male Brain" Theory?

Page 1 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2017, 5:27 pm

adorkablegeekgirl wrote:
You wouldn't even read that article. You are completely disinterested in facts

I'm disinterested in dragging this thread off topic. As I've said from the opening, you are the only one that thinks this is about gender, you don't understand what is being proposed and you never will. My own degree involved cognitive psychology so I'm more familiar with the subject matter than you're aware, but those that actually understand don't need to crow about their qualifications in lieu of an actual argument.

adorkablegeekgirl wrote:
What I put were not stereotypes. They were things that have actually been studied and proven using brain scans and psychological experiments.

I mentioned women having higher emotional intelligence, and the "logic" part of the male type brain includes spatial awareness. You rubbished them both yet went on to claim them yourself and that they were proven by experiments. It seems to me you don't hold others to your own standards, you use stereotypes and claim yours are ok, but when others use stereotypes you simply claim theirs are rubbish offhand, even though you claim yourself later on they are proven?

Gaining a degree will require understanding theories and unbiased analytical thinking, something you are sorely lacking which is why I wished you luck.

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2017, 5:30 pm

BirdInFlight wrote:
I think it's a bit sexist to say females are all emotion and males are all logic, to be honest.

Despite me using the most explicit language I possibly could to indicate the exact opposite with a warning that it would fall on deaf ears....it has fallen on deaf ears. You simply want to be offended, you want to see sexism and misogyny everywhere so you do.

karathraceandherspecialdestiny
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2017, 5:33 pm

"You may be studying to be a neuroscientist, but I'm sure I understand neuroscience better than you. Allow me to mansplain it to you and point out incorrectly all the ways I think you're wrong and make myself look silly and sexist in the process. Now could someone explain to me why it's so hard for an autistic guy like me to get a date, and then could you fix that so it's not so hard?"

Some of you guys on this forum are a real hoot. :lol:

alcockell
Raven
Raven

01 Aug 2017, 5:35 pm

I was one of the research subjects in Simon Baron-Cohen's studies in the early to mid-90s. Went up to Cambridge about twice, then stuck my head in an MRI scanner for it - along with Uta's FPET scanner work... and loads of other tests and studies.

After being personally DX'd by Lorna Wing in 1987.

I was there.

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2017, 5:39 pm

karathraceandherspecialdestiny wrote:
"You may be studying to be a neuroscientist, but I'm sure I understand neuroscience better than you. Allow me to mansplain it to you and point out incorrectly all the ways I think you're wrong and make myself look silly and sexist in the process. Now could someone explain to me why it's so hard for an autistic guy like me to get a date, and then could you fix that so it's not so hard?"

Your passive-aggressive trolling says way more than any real facts could.

Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2017, 5:40 pm

Chichikov wrote:

Who is the troll, here in the Women's Forum being a jerk to the women having a discussion?

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2017, 5:44 pm

Chichikov wrote:

Who is the troll, here in the Women's Forum being a jerk to the women having a discussion?

Having a different opinion is being a jerk? I see. I'll let you get back to your safe-space echo chamber then where all men are b*****ds.

adorkablegeekgirl
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

01 Aug 2017, 5:57 pm

Right? I'm done replying to him. Not worth it. :lol:

alcockell wrote:
I was one of the research subjects in Simon Baron-Cohen's studies in the early to mid-90s. Went up to Cambridge about twice, then stuck my head in an MRI scanner for it - along with Uta's FPET scanner work... and loads of other tests and studies.

After being personally DX'd by Lorna Wing in 1987.

I was there.

See, now this is actually interesting. Here is an interesting article I've found about it:
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/pe ... treme-male

So clearly there was some actual research backing this up, albeit that the name does appear to be a misnomer, and perhaps the results were greatly exaggerated. As the article says, there are more variables at play here.

Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2017, 6:52 pm

Chichikov wrote:
Chichikov wrote:

Having a different opinion is being a jerk? I see. I'll let you get back to your safe-space echo chamber then where all men are b*****ds.

And you can go tilt at strawmen somewhere else.

Edit to add: If you think that the fact that you have a different opinion, and not how you are choosing to express that opinion, is the problem you will never resolve your issues with women.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2017, 7:59 pm

Chichikov wrote:
BirdInFlight wrote:
I think it's a bit sexist to say females are all emotion and males are all logic, to be honest.

Despite me using the most explicit language I possibly could to indicate the exact opposite with a warning that it would fall on deaf ears....it has fallen on deaf ears. You simply want to be offended, you want to see sexism and misogyny everywhere so you do.

And uh. . . . you want to see "offendedness" everywhere, and so you do. LMAO!

Exactly where in my post do I seem offended?

I quite calmly said "I think it's a bit sexist to say females are all emotion and males are all logic."

First of all, someone offended usually doesn't say things like "I think" or "a bit."

Those phrases are very mild qualifiers in a sentence, chosen to express LACK OF strong feeling.

If I were offended do you know how I would word it?

I would say something like: "I'm f*****g sick of the f*****g misogyny of anyone saying females are all emotion!!!I'm sick of that s**t!"

If you've ever SEEN me offended around here, you would know what I'm talking about, lol!

Instead I just remarked that it seems sexist to me. I'm not even that bent out of shape -- you'd know it if I had been, trust me.

Second thing -- I'm talking sexist BOTH ways. It's sexist to both males and females. Because not all men are "all logic" just as not all females are "all emotion." They are both positive traits that can also be spoken of negatively, and all people of any gender identification can be capable of either one and usually a healthy mix of both.

YOU are seeing "offendedness" in my post where THERE IS NONE.

THAT actually offends me. I was actually shocked to come back here and find that someone had taken that from my calm post.

It's the reaction an as*hole would have -- of either gender. Seriously you're a piece of work.

I won't be back. I can't believe how bad it is around here that ANYTHING A PERSON POSTS gets taken the WRONG WAY NO MATTER WHAT.

NO f*****g matter f*****g WHAT. I f*****g give up.

Except for one final word, and you can argue to THE WALL because I won't be reading your reply: I hadn't thought anyone was being a misogynist at all, until I read your response to me and your willful mistaking of my intention.

Which I see now does in fact make YOU a misogynist for coming into the women's section of this site and attacking someone for something they DID NOT EVEN INTEND, didn't do, and didn't think.

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2017, 8:28 pm

Edit to add: If you think that the fact that you have a different opinion, and not how you are choosing to express that opinion, is the problem you will never resolve your issues with women.

Thanks for your input, I'll be sure to show this thread to my wife, I know she'll enjoy it as much as I have.

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2017, 8:32 pm

BirdInFlight wrote:
Exactly where in my post do I seem offended?

Here

BirdInFlight wrote:

BirdInFlight wrote:
I quite calmly said "I think it's a bit sexist to say females are all emotion and males are all logic."

First of all, someone offended usually doesn't say things like "I think" or "a bit."

Those phrases are very mild qualifiers in a sentence, chosen to express LACK OF strong feeling.

If I were offended do you know how I would word it?

I would say something like: "I'm f*****g sick of the f*****g misogyny of anyone saying females are all emotion!!!I'm sick of that s**t!"

If you've ever SEEN me offended around here, you would know what I'm talking about, lol!

Instead I just remarked that it seems sexist to me. I'm not even that bent out of shape -- you'd know it if I had been, trust me.

Second thing -- I'm talking sexist BOTH ways. It's sexist to both males and females. Because not all men are "all logic" just as not all females are "all emotion." They are both positive traits that can also be spoken of negatively, and all people of any gender identification can be capable of either one and usually a healthy mix of both.

YOU are seeing "offendedness" in my post where THERE IS NONE.

THAT actually offends me. I was actually shocked to come back here and find that someone had taken that from my calm post.

It's the reaction an as*hole would have -- of either gender. Seriously you're a piece of work.

I won't be back. I can't believe how bad it is around here that ANYTHING A PERSON POSTS gets taken the WRONG WAY NO MATTER WHAT.

NO f*****g matter f*****g WHAT. I f*****g give up.

Except for one final word, and you can argue to THE WALL because I won't be reading your reply: I hadn't thought anyone was being a misogynist at all, until I read your response to me and your willful mistaking of my intention.

Which I see now does in fact make YOU a misogynist for coming into the women's section of this site and attacking someone for something they DID NOT EVEN INTEND, didn't do, and didn't think.

I'm going to be honest, I just saw a wall of text, expletives, and lots of "***" so I haven't actually read anything of the above. If you want to discuss things in a calm manner then I'm all ears.

Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2017, 12:28 am

Chichikov wrote:

Thanks for your input, I'll be sure to show this thread to my wife, I know she'll enjoy it as much as I have.

Let me guess, she's Canadian but I wouldn't know her. :lol:

And even if she is real, is that supposed to be evidence that you don't have biases against women? Because there are lots of married men in the world who are also misogynists, you could very easily be one of those.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2017, 1:01 am

Chichikov, i think it's best if you lay off of this thread in WD.

i think you did not mean to start an argument, but that is what it seems to have devolved into, and it certainly does not help when people are told they don't understand their own neurology. especially on a site like this.

DW_a_mom (forum guidelines) wrote:
2) Involvement of male members.

While Wrong Planet rules do not prohibit posting by men in the Women’s Discussion, men who venture into this forum need to approach any reading or posting they do with an element of respect for the fact that they have just walked in on a conversation that should have little to do with them. This forum is intended to be more friendly to women, and to focus on issues unique to them.

spongy wrote:
Its meant to be a place where females can feel free to discuss any issue they wish(as long as they are respecting the opposite gender which is a requirement on this site´s rules) and any male can give their input as long as they are trying to be helpfull/supportive.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

AquaineBay
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2017, 3:33 am

Okay, normally I don't post in this thread because I respect everyone's privacy but, I like talking about things to do with the mind and brain!

So I had to read up on some of the stuff and catch up a little and what I gathered from what I read is that the theory is saying that people on the spectrum tend to have a "Extreme male type" brain. Know what I think I will number them

Type 1-extreme male type (systemizing and mechanistic thinking)
Type 2-the neutral type
Type 3-extreme female type(empathizing and mentalizing thinking)

Now my thoughts on the subject: I don't think that the theory is entirely correct. As far as I know I will say that yes, I do fit more into Type 1 instead of Type 3 but, I wouldn't say I was extreme with it.

I do have empathy(a lot of it actually) though I am not too good at the mental thinking...

I do think women on the spectrum do tend to have more of a Type 1 brain then NT women(thinking about some of the interests women have, which tend to lean more on the logical side.) I say, though it's not entirely correct they could be on to something!

Any of you are free to correct or explain if I was wrong about the subject! :)

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
and Wisdom to know the difference."

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2017, 10:10 am

AquaineBay wrote:
Okay, normally I don't post in this thread because I respect everyone's privacy but, I like talking about things to do with the mind and brain!

So I had to read up on some of the stuff and catch up a little and what I gathered from what I read is that the theory is saying that people on the spectrum tend to have a "Extreme male type" brain. Know what I think I will number them

Type 1-extreme male type (systemizing and mechanistic thinking)
Type 2-the neutral type
Type 3-extreme female type(empathizing and mentalizing thinking)

Now my thoughts on the subject: I don't think that the theory is entirely correct. As far as I know I will say that yes, I do fit more into Type 1 instead of Type 3 but, I wouldn't say I was extreme with it.

I do have empathy(a lot of it actually) though I am not too good at the mental thinking...

I do think women on the spectrum do tend to have more of a Type 1 brain then NT women(thinking about some of the interests women have, which tend to lean more on the logical side.) I say, though it's not entirely correct they could be on to something!

Any of you are free to correct or explain if I was wrong about the subject! :)

I definitely have a Type 1 kind of brain :D. I'm a systemizer!

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine