Starting school again for the 3rd time, looking for help.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Kibou10
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Jul 2017, 9:43 am

Hi I'm 20 years old and have dropped out of school twice already, due to the social aspect. In two weeks I'm going to be starting in school again, and its terrifying. When it comes to school my deepest desire is to be good socially and be somewhat friends with everyone in my class. The problem is I'm so bad at small talk, in 1 to 1 situations I can make it. But in group situations I feel like my brain is imprisoned, and I can't talk or do anything and it's killing me inside. And school is all about group situations all the time.

I got diagnosed last year, on the light side of the spectrum. But the materials I borrowed from the library didn't really fit with the person I am, so I gave up on it.
Now I have reignited my search for finding out more about aspergers and how I can deal with it. So if you have any links or books you recommend (Especially about social interaction) I appreciate it a lot.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2017, 10:27 am

You may want to share this topic in the school and college message boards.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2017, 10:45 am

Kibou10 wrote:
Hi I'm 20 years old and have dropped out of school twice already, due to the social aspect. In two weeks I'm going to be starting in school again, and its terrifying. When it comes to school my deepest desire is to be good socially and be somewhat friends with everyone in my class. The problem is I'm so bad at small talk, in 1 to 1 situations I can make it. But in group situations I feel like my brain is imprisoned, and I can't talk or do anything and it's killing me inside. And school is all about group situations all the time.

I got diagnosed last year, on the light side of the spectrum. But the materials I borrowed from the library didn't really fit with the person I am, so I gave up on it.
Now I have reignited my search for finding out more about aspergers and how I can deal with it. So if you have any links or books you recommend (Especially about social interaction) I appreciate it a lot.

You have to high expectations. You gotta accept that you can't be some socialite that everyone likes. Just try to have a few friends. I mean I can't make friends irl. Like, sometimes you just got to understand you aren't normal; You're not meant to be friends with everyone or be a beautiful socialite butterfly. :roll:

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2017, 11:32 am

Oh I didn't read this all the way

1. A college has lots of clubs based on special interests and maybe you could go and talk about things related to those areas. For instance, I love doing the astronomy club.

2. Books- The Unwritten Rules of Social Relationships: Temple Grandin and Sean Barron
3. You could also go to improve your social skills.com

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2017, 3:17 pm

Pieplup wrote:
Kibou10 wrote:

You have to high expectations. You gotta accept that you can't be some socialite that everyone likes. Just try to have a few friends. I mean I can't make friends irl. Like, sometimes you just got to understand you aren't normal; You're not meant to be friends with everyone or be a beautiful socialite butterfly. :roll:

Your expectations have to be high enough to be satisfying and low enough to be reasonable