Page 2 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2017, 11:52 am

DarthMetaKnight wrote:
Marknis wrote:
Society still has a hard time accepting that birds are dinosaurs. Society also wants the cultural image of dinosaurs to be like how they are portrayed in Jurassic Park and will use the "It's just a movie!" excuse as a crutch. Dinosaurs are not fantasy or science fiction creatures, they are real creatures.

A couple of years ago, I was browsing YouTube comments. One idiot on YouTube said "Archaeopteryx wasn't real! It was just a prank by a Chinese farmer!"

:wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

There are so many things wrong with that statement.

1. Whoever made that comment was obviously thinking about Archaeoraptor.
2. Archaeoraptor wasn't a prank. It was an honest mistake by an uneducated Chinese bloke who didn't know any better.
3. The scientific community thought that Archaeoraptor was fake from the get-go. Nevertheless, the National Geographic Society jumped all over Archaeoraptor. This is because National Geographic is a popular science magazine and not a formal scientific journal. Popular science magazines are generally untrustworthy since they rely on sensationalism in order to make money. Meanwhile, formal scientific journals are created by people who are on an honest quest for truth.
4. Even if Archaeopteryx, was a fake, that wouldn't really matter. Archaeopteryx wasn't the only dinosaurian proto-bird. What about Microraptor? What about Avisaurus? What about Hesperornis? What about Icthyornis? What about Confuciusornis? I could go on like this all day. One fake is somewhat understandable. Am I seriously supposed to believe that every single one of these fossils is a fake?

The scientific illiteracy of some people is truly revolting.

I'm sure there are nuts who say those others were fakes, as well.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2017, 12:36 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
DarthMetaKnight wrote:
Marknis wrote:
Society still has a hard time accepting that birds are dinosaurs. Society also wants the cultural image of dinosaurs to be like how they are portrayed in Jurassic Park and will use the "It's just a movie!" excuse as a crutch. Dinosaurs are not fantasy or science fiction creatures, they are real creatures.

A couple of years ago, I was browsing YouTube comments. One idiot on YouTube said "Archaeopteryx wasn't real! It was just a prank by a Chinese farmer!"

:wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

There are so many things wrong with that statement.

1. Whoever made that comment was obviously thinking about Archaeoraptor.
2. Archaeoraptor wasn't a prank. It was an honest mistake by an uneducated Chinese bloke who didn't know any better.
3. The scientific community thought that Archaeoraptor was fake from the get-go. Nevertheless, the National Geographic Society jumped all over Archaeoraptor. This is because National Geographic is a popular science magazine and not a formal scientific journal. Popular science magazines are generally untrustworthy since they rely on sensationalism in order to make money. Meanwhile, formal scientific journals are created by people who are on an honest quest for truth.
4. Even if Archaeopteryx, was a fake, that wouldn't really matter. Archaeopteryx wasn't the only dinosaurian proto-bird. What about Microraptor? What about Avisaurus? What about Hesperornis? What about Icthyornis? What about Confuciusornis? I could go on like this all day. One fake is somewhat understandable. Am I seriously supposed to believe that every single one of these fossils is a fake?

The scientific illiteracy of some people is truly revolting.

I'm sure there are nuts who say those others were fakes, as well.

Either that or they were "intelligently designed". Some also think paleontologists are saying eagles evolved from ceratopsians which is wrong. Birds are theropods, they are not from any other group.

Kiki1256
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2017, 11:07 pm

If dinosaurs and people coexisted, the dinosaurs would have probably eaten all of us!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2017, 1:55 am

I don't agree lol

We would have had much more protein in our diet. We would have driven a herd of dinosaurs over a cliff, and have enough meat for hundreds of people.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2017, 2:03 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I don't agree lol

We would have had much more protein in our diet. We would have driven a herd of dinosaurs over a cliff, and have enough meat for hundreds of people.

I've heard the theory that the only reason why mammals were able to evolve beyond rodent like creatures to the diverse and complex mammalian family of today is because the dinosaurs (with the exception of birds) went extinct.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2017, 2:05 am

i'm not so sure that the selective evolutionary pressures at the time, that allowed dinosaurs to evolve into what we know, would have allowed humans to develop and be recognizable.

air had a different composition in those times, massive insects would have been a problem.

as for eating dinosaurs, i imagine reptile isn't too tasty.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2017, 2:15 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:
i'm not so sure that the selective evolutionary pressures at the time, that allowed dinosaurs to evolve into what we know, would have allowed humans to develop and be recognizable.

air had a different composition in those times, massive insects would have been a problem.

Dinosaurs were actually more akin to birds.
But even so, I've had alligator meat years ago, and it sincerely tastes like chicken.

MariaTheFictionkin
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2017, 2:16 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Kiprobalhato wrote:

But even so, I've had alligator meat years ago, and it sincerely tastes like chicken.

^ I was about to say the exact same thing~ :)

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2017, 2:55 am

MariaTheFictionkin wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Kiprobalhato wrote:

^ I was about to say the exact same thing~ :)

Great minds think alike. :lol:

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2017, 2:57 am

ever had rattlesnake?

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2017, 9:12 am

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/12/06/s ... oogle.com/

The Jurassic equivalent of the duck?

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2017, 9:28 am

I am trying to edit my post but I keep getting blocked out. The dinosaur is actually from the Late Cretaceous and the article calls it both duck and goose-like.

I actually went to a private school that had a Creationist agenda. They tried to use the foot prints in Glen Rose, that I myself have seen, as proof even though it's been known since the 80's there are no human foot prints along with the dinosaur ones. Sadly, I overheard a teacher at the library pouring that misinformation into her students' heads.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2017, 3:20 pm

Kiprobalhato wrote:

Dinosaurs were not reptiles, they're much closer to birds.

Actually, evidence show that many dinosaur species had feathures.

drwho222
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2017, 3:57 pm

NewTime wrote:
Did dinosaurs and humans ever coexist? The geological evidence says no. Dinosaurs died out several millions of years before humans ever existed. Certain films about cavemen however tend to show humans living with dinosaurs. If there are any cave paintings that resemble dinosaurs it's likely due to the cavemen find fossil remains of dinosaurs, not dinosaurs existing with humans.

Certainly. All modern birds are dinosaurs.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2017, 4:05 pm

DarthMetaKnight wrote:
BettaPonic wrote:
DarthMetaKnight wrote:
BettaPonic wrote:
DarthMetaKnight wrote:
Birds are dinosaurs.

Therefore, dinosaurs and humans still coexist.

One time, I went to a restaurant and asked for dinosaur meat. The guy gave me fried chicken. He knew what I meant! :D

True, birds are a member of the clade dinosauria.

In fact, all terrestrial vertebrates are members of the Sarcopterygii clade.
This means that we are all lobe-finned fish.

I love Clades.

I wish more people loved clades! :)

We all know that humans and monkeys have a common ancestor ... but was the common ancestor a prehistoric monkey?

That would mean that we are still monkeys!

I think that it is more correct to say that we and monkeys have a common ancestor.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2017, 4:06 pm

Kiprobalhato wrote:
ever had rattlesnake?

I fell on top of one once.

It didn't bite me. Professional courtesy, maybe?