Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2017, 7:06 am

kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
One for work. One for personal. One for online things which will probably sell your address to spammers.

THIS.

I've known people to CHANGE e-mail addresses just because of SPAM issues on their personal e-mail. Businesses have to buy expensive software to eliminate SPAM as it's seen as better than reconfiguring their e-mail system to get a clean start.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2017, 12:08 pm

Kitty4670 wrote:
Do you need 2 email accounts these days?

It's not a bad idea to have a couple of addresses.

On my company e-mail account, I can create as many aliases for the account as I wish. I never use the main e-mail address of the account for anything except to log into the account. The username portion itself is a rather long and unusual word that few people have ever even heard of.

Let's say, for example, that I'm at example.com and my primary e-mail account is [email protected]. I then set [email protected] as an alias and so any e-mail to [email protected] is delivered to [email protected]. This way, if I start to see heavy spam at [email protected], I can gradually move over to a new address of [email protected] and once I'm no longer getting anything but spam at [email protected], I can delete the [email protected] as an alias but the primary account still remains.

Furthermore, if I want to create an account somewhere that requires an e-mail address, I create a new e-mail address just for that account. For example, I can create an alias of [email protected], provide it to the one place, and if I start getting spammed at that address, I can delete the alias without having any effect on my other email.

Also, I have an account that I use for nothing but issues involving other accounts. For example, it is common for some sites to use a "forgot password" procedure where they e-mail you a link to use to reset the password. So I give that other e-mail address and if I can't remember the password, it goes to that other account.

This would be particularly useful for a "forgot password" procedure on your primary e-mail account. After all, if you forget your password to [email protected], it won't do them much good to send a link to reset your password to the same account.