Page 2 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Ennui0001
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Sep 2017, 11:16 am

It's my all-time favorite game. It's beautiful and amazing and engaging and exciting and...you get the picture. I usually don't admit this because it makes me sound like an off-the-deep-end fangirl (which I guess I kind of am) but one of my tattoos is from Skyrim. Not obviously so, just enough for me and a couple of other people to get it. :)

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
- Hamlet (Act 1 Scene 5), Hamlet to Horatio

Enceladus
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Sep 2017, 8:43 am

I've played it a fair bit but I have not progressed very far in quests and there's lot's of places I have not explored. Right now I'm holding out to play any more because of the VR version. I,m getting it for VR on PC. I have a powerful computer just for VR (i7 6700k, gtx 1080Ti 32gb ram and 960pro M.2 SSD) . I don't think the PSVR will be able to handle the game well, Playstation 4 or the Pro is to weak and VR is very demanding. Tracking on PSVR is also very bad compared to PC. Tracking and proper motion controls are important for VR.

I,m looking forward to actually be inside the game instead of just see it on the screen. With VR I get to be the character not just play as someone. I'm very exited for it. But sadly it comes to PSVR before PC. So I have to wait.

Last edited by Enceladus on 27 Sep 2017, 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Enceladus
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Sep 2017, 9:06 am

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
I haven't played Skyrim yet, but I've watched Let's Plays and I love the game. I'd be happy to talk to anyone who wants to talk about it! :D

If you have not played the game yet. I can recommend this comic based on the same universe. It's called "Prequel" and is about a Khajiit (cat person) called Katia Managan and her struggles to become a Wizard and start a new life. The comic is animated and sometimes it becomes a game also. It,s very well made. The story is still ongoing and people can send inn suggestions to guide Katia and try help her out as her subconscious. The story can be a bit sad sometimes but also very funny and rewarding. I highly recommend checking it out!
http://www.prequeladventure.com/2011/03/prequel-begin/

As an Aspie I can also relate to Katia because she is bad at handling people and conversations and she struggles a lot in life doing mistakes I could have done. It,s like reading about myself.

wariodude128
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Sep 2017, 4:13 pm

I really like Skyrim myself, but haven't played it in a long time. Been busy playing the first in the series: Arena. The CD version mind you. The game is fairly hard. Still, I recommend both of them. Interestingly, I played the third one in the series, Morrowind, first and didn't really like it. Not quite sure why.

Zaarin
Raven
Raven

30 Sep 2017, 11:43 am

wariodude128 wrote:
I really like Skyrim myself, but haven't played it in a long time. Been busy playing the first in the series: Arena. The CD version mind you. The game is fairly hard. Still, I recommend both of them. Interestingly, I played the third one in the series, Morrowind, first and didn't really like it. Not quite sure why.

Morrowind has a steep learning curve. It tosses you into the world with the barest of instructions and the most minimal of tutorials. To make things even more challenging, the first ten levels or so are brutally challenging (especially if your class decision was less than optimal), and the roll-to-hit mechanic can be frustrating at low skill levels. Some people also have difficulty getting into Morrowind's unvoiced "encyclopedia"-style dialogue, though personally I find it preferable to Oblivion and Skyrim's badly written, badly acted dialogue. Morrowind is definitely an acquired taste, but it's far more rewarding than Skyrim or Oblivion if you can stick it out. :)

--"Galadriel's Song of Eldamar"

Aspzan
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Nov 2017, 4:09 am

I'm a fan. I've just restarted the special edition which I got for free on steam. I have Enderal installed on my original Skyrim game files so I can't play the original without deleting the mod. Enderal is a mod with an entirely new map, story, races, weapons etc... Definitely worth checking out as a Skyrim fan if you're on PC.

Saw that a few people have mentioned Morrowind and Oblivion. I tried to get into Morrowind but couldn't immerse myself, don't know why either. Oblivion I got stuck in a cave without weapons and with multiple enemies and didn't continue.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2017, 10:57 pm

Well my boyfriend got a copy the other day for PS3, and I played it all day today while he was at work so yeah it has caught my interest. My character is a khajiit, I did find it annoying that they had an option to add human esque hair to their head...because they're covered in fur already so yeah I didn't add the hair. so far I've been armed with the one handed axes and maces and a shield with armor...I tried a two handed sword and I hated that. I might to go in like a dark mage type direction...or whatever that would be called in the game, at least with this character. I will probably want to try different types of characters. But yeah seems pretty fun so far, and I do like the music and scenery...I find the combat a bit difficult, but I haven't really played any console games for a while so that could be part of it but it does seem a little clunky either way everything else kind of makes up for it.

I am glad this comes as a console version, I don't think I would like it as much as a PC game. I also don't think the other game I've been playing, League of Legends, would be very good as a console game, luckily I don't think that will ever be attempted because there are world competitions and such which could be difficult if some people are playing on a computer and some people are playing on a console.

Also part of the reason why I haven't tried this game sooner is I was under the impression it was first person camera ...which I don't like but there is an option for 3rd person, so I am very glad about that, first person makes me nauseous for some reason so makes it hard to enjoy first person games.

Enceladus
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Nov 2017, 3:32 pm

Skyrim seems to have improved from last I saw it in VR!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bw5B4_QoJM

Though I'm still a bit sceptical to the PSVR version of it because of the less precise tracking compared to VR on PC. Also graphics will not look good on PlayStation compared to a high end PC rig with lots of supersampling.

Nice to see they have included the fading of the vision when moving for the most sensitive people and the ability to turn it off for those of us that can handle it. Movement method looks similar to Vivecraft mod for Minecraft which is a fantastic way to move trough large open worlds, at least it works for me :)

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2017, 11:35 pm

Eh, it seems about as bad as I imagined it would be. I think it could be a better game eventually, with mods.

It shows little imagination or innovation on the part of the developers. Unnecessary menu driven interaction, over reliance on button controls, gamepad style interactions that remove you from the gameworld, waggle sword combat with lousy hit boxes. It showcases pretty much all the things that people sceptical of VR think VR is all about and none of the things that make it impressive. In other words, it's a low resolution 3D TV strapped to your face with tacked on waggle controls.

I think Fallout 4 might fare better because the technical challenges of gun based combat in VR are nowhere near that of melee combat, and the menu based interaction will be less of an issue since it shouldn't take you out of the game world, being strapped to your wrist in the form of the Pip Boy.

Enceladus
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Nov 2017, 6:13 pm

Enigmatic_Oddity wrote:
Eh, it seems about as bad as I imagined it would be. I think it could be a better game eventually, with mods.

It shows little imagination or innovation on the part of the developers. Unnecessary menu driven interaction, over reliance on button controls, gamepad style interactions that remove you from the gameworld, waggle sword combat with lousy hit boxes. It showcases pretty much all the things that people sceptical of VR think VR is all about and none of the things that make it impressive. In other words, it's a low resolution 3D TV strapped to your face with tacked on waggle controls.

I think Fallout 4 might fare better because the technical challenges of gun based combat in VR are nowhere near that of melee combat, and the menu based interaction will be less of an issue since it shouldn't take you out of the game world, being strapped to your wrist in the form of the Pip Boy.

Oh I agree with you. It's just that I did not have high expectations for it in the first place and this looks better than the initial previews some months ago :p I never expected them to fully remake the game for VR ground up. Doom VFR however is looking much better, although it will not be the full game. Probably most big developers and publishers deem VR too risky to apply AAA resources and funding. It's not economically viable yet with such a small userbase. Right now it looks like they are experimenting with the tech in small teams.

But yeah hopefully modders will improve on the game. Still I'm gonna buy all three of Bethesda's games when they are released. If the games are really bad I'll just refund trough Steam.

The Musings Of The Lost
Toucan
Toucan

10 Dec 2017, 7:55 am

I found the vanilla game boring after a while and WAY to easy right from the start (like playing on max difficulty at 3am about to fall asleep and still having no trouble easy). A lot of the quests got repetitive and a lot of the characters felt lifeless.

With mods however it can be turned into whatever you want. I don't think you should judge any game taking mods into the perspective (except maybe gary's mod). It annoys me when I see people who judge it based on mods. Like one guy i saw gave it 10/10, while saying in the review 'the vanilla game is trash'. There are people who like the vanilla, and good for them. I personally don't however.

crystaltermination
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2017, 12:51 pm

The Musings Of The Lost wrote:
I found the vanilla game boring after a while and WAY to easy right from the start (like playing on max difficulty at 3am about to fall asleep and still having no trouble easy). A lot of the quests got repetitive and a lot of the characters felt lifeless.

With mods however it can be turned into whatever you want. I don't think you should judge any game taking mods into the perspective (except maybe gary's mod). It annoys me when I see people who judge it based on mods. Like one guy i saw gave it 10/10, while saying in the review 'the vanilla game is trash'. There are people who like the vanilla, and good for them. I personally don't however.

Agree with this. I love Bethesda's games and particularly the Elder Scroll series, but did find that after a while playing Skyrim one's character is quickly over-powered, even on the higher settings. (Try fighting 'The Ebony Warrior' on legendary, though!)
I've modded my Skyrim quite heavily too, though I tend to stick with immersive-only mods and interesting companions with unique dialogue.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2017, 2:33 pm

what do you mean by vanilla in this context?

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

10 Dec 2017, 2:40 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:

Vanilla simply means the base game itself, nothing modified. Playing "the vanilla game" is basically saying "I'm playing this game unmodified."

I've modified the f**k out of Skyrim though, lots of fun to do.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2017, 2:43 pm

MakaylaTheAspie wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

Vanilla simply means the base game itself, nothing modified. Playing "the vanilla game" is basically saying "I'm playing this game unmodified."

ah I see, so far I haven't got any of the mods for it but I likely will, just trying to play all the way through at least once first. My brother has a friend who has I guess somehow created his own mods for the game...lol don't think I have the tech knowledge to do anything like that but the mods available for purchase look interesting.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

10 Dec 2017, 3:18 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
MakaylaTheAspie wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

ah I see, so far I haven't got any of the mods for it but I likely will, just trying to play all the way through at least once first. My brother has a friend who has I guess somehow created his own mods for the game...lol don't think I have the tech knowledge to do anything like that but the mods available for purchase look interesting.

You said you had the PS3 version, right? That version isn't moddable, but the PC, PS4 and Xbox One versions are.