God; a good father or a deadbeat dad. Which is the truth?

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2017, 7:00 am

The use of the term Father in speaking of God is quite ancient and was around way before Jesus started using the term, even though he used son of man a lot more than son of God.

A son calling someone father in the proud way Jesus did is respecting a worthy father, but if we look at Yahweh, I do not see how anyone could be proud of such a father.

Yahweh is definitely portrayed as being quite vile thanks to his use of genocide, infanticide and punishing the innocent instead of the guilty quite often. Yahweh is also shown to covet Joseph’s wife, cuckold Joseph, produce a son and then take off for parts unknown leaving his responsibility for his son to others thus showing himself to be a deadbeat dad.

Scripture say that we are all sons of God. To be relevant to his children, a father has to be around to interact with them. It seems that God does not want to be relevant to us as he remains absent and places us, his children, at the mercy of people who have written scripture more to enrich themselves than to give us the messages from God that they claim to know. Even though scriptures say that God id unknowable and unfathomable and his desires cannot be known.

My analysis of the bible and God does not show God to be a good father.

Do you, as a child of God, see God as a good father or as more of a deadbeat dad?

Regards
DL

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2017, 10:35 am

I, personally, believe that if there is a God, he would want us to fight our own battles, and not ask for His help all the time.

He's not obligated to offer "child support." He can never be a "deadbeat dad."

is he a good Father? My answer would be: "It depends."

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2017, 11:51 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I, personally, believe that if there is a God, he would want us to fight our own battles, and not ask for His help all the time.

He's not obligated to offer "child support." He can never be a "deadbeat dad."

is he a good Father? My answer would be: "It depends."

I agree with your first but most Christians will not as they rely on Jesus to fight for their forgiveness instead of stepping up themselves and using this method.

2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

1 Timothy 2:4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.

To your last.
It depends on what and why can you not give a clearer opinion based on what you know?

Regards
DL

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2017, 11:53 am

He could be a good Father under at least some circumstances......

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2017, 12:08 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
He could be a good Father under at least some circumstances......

Indeed. So could all deadbeat dads, but they aren't and neither is Yahweh.

Regards
DL

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2017, 12:50 pm

God is never a "deadbeat dad." He sometimes dispenses "tough love," though.

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2017, 1:16 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
God is never a "deadbeat dad." He sometimes dispenses "tough love," though.

Having a son needlessly murdered is tough for sure and certainly immoral and unjust.

Would you class that as tough love or simply unjust and immoral?

How about his showing tough love to King David's baby by torturing it for 6 days before finally killing it because he was angry with the king.

Is that also just tough love?

Regards
DL

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2017, 1:40 pm

I don't think He actually did those things. I think these things are more symbolic than actual.

I'm not a believer in God, by the way.

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2017, 1:45 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I don't think He actually did those things. I think these things are more symbolic than actual.

I'm not a believer in God, by the way.

Good.

The important point, I think, is that Christians believe that horrible murder to be real yet they do not condemn their God for it.

Regards
DL

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2017, 1:48 pm

Truthfully, most people don't study the Bible enough to know many things that God actually did.

Most people have a vague "fear" of God, of God's "wrath." This is why they usually don't question theology too much it's "supposed" to be a mystery, which mortal men shouldn't go to far with--explore.

And then there is the problem of comprehension. In the Kings James Version, as translated from the Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic, the language is archaic Early Modern English. Some of the words used are either archaic or obsolete today---if not the words, then the meanings. The reason why the King James Version is liked so much is because of its poetic quality. And perhaps because the language seems "elevated," or "mysterious" even. There is an exoticism to it.

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2017, 2:25 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Quote:
Truthfully, most people don't study the Bible enough to know many things that God actually did.

Most, I hope, are recognizing that it is all myth and adult fairy tales.

Quote:
Most people have a vague "fear" of God, of God's "wrath." This is why they usually don't question theology too much--but it's "supposed" to be a mystery.

A mystery that all priests and preachers have somehow all dithered out.

Fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, I find to be a really stupid saying.

Regards
DL

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2017, 2:26 pm

The reason Yaweh is portrayed as evil is because whomever was writing his perceptions was experiencing difficulties and might have been biased so he gave Yaweh these characteristics. What we perceive as evil is actually part of the circle of life and Darwin's Evolution Theory. The idea of death offends human consciousness and since all living beings eventually die, the creator is viewed as evil. He must be evil or we would be immortal!

KagamineLen
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 12:49 am

Anybody who has read the Bible probably should be able to tell that God dishes out 99.9% of the death and destruction to punish people who do not cater to his narcissism. Satan seems like a much more mellow guy in comparison.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 1:05 am

GnosticBishop wrote:
I suppose that depends on what one expects of fathers and of Gods.

(Hmm, "Of Fathers and Gods" sounds like it ought to be the title for a novel or a miniseries)

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2017, 3:57 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
The reason Yaweh is portrayed as evil is because whomever was writing his perceptions was experiencing difficulties and might have been biased so he gave Yaweh these characteristics. What we perceive as evil is actually part of the circle of life and Darwin's Evolution Theory. The idea of death offends human consciousness and since all living beings eventually die, the creator is viewed as evil. He must be evil or we would be immortal!

Yet, to my way of thinking, living eternally would be a curse and an evil.

Would you like to live eternally and or why do you think those who would like to, would like to?

Regards
DL

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2017, 3:59 pm

KagamineLen wrote:
Anybody who has read the Bible probably should be able to tell that God dishes out 99.9% of the death and destruction to punish people who do not cater to his narcissism. Satan seems like a much more mellow guy in comparison.

I agree.

Why do you think Christians adore that prick of a God and what does that say of their morals?

Regards
DL