Page 5 of 20 [ 306 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 20  Next

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2017, 10:29 pm

beady wrote:
I like logic. Evolution wasn't created out of the clear blue but followed specific concrete discoveries. It would be nice to believe in the fantasy of religion, or that religion makes people better, or that this series of posts actually cared about the welfare of its audience but none of those have been facts in my life.

Fair enough. We don't get enough comments here that are as reasonable as this, and yes, that does include many of the ones that I leave (my volatile emotions tend to get in the way :cry: ).

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2017, 12:00 pm

The theory of evolution is the most reasonable explanation for the diversity of life that exists. If any other non-supernatural hypothesis is proposed it should be held to a similar level of scrutiny. Supernatural explanations always seem to fall apart in the face of even the slightest scrutiny and can't be considered as valid or reasonable.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2017, 12:06 pm

No, the biggest lie ever told was, "You can be anything you want to be if you just try hard enough."

Huge crock of shiite.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2017, 12:35 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
No, the biggest lie ever told was, "You can be anything you want to be if you just try hard enough."

Huge crock of shiite.

With "Johnny Manziel's a great draft pick!" as a close second.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2017, 10:04 am

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2017, 7:47 pm

Creationism exists because people assume that nature and human civilization work the same way.

"Who built nature?"

You're asking the wrong question. Organisms are not built. They grow.

For example, no human being is "built". We all start out as a single-celled zygote. Nobody builds us. We grow.

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2017, 9:00 pm

Creationists: Explain this.

These are all real fossils. Am I supposed to believe that this is all a coincidence?

Smaller horse fossils are found in older rocks. Isn't there a pattern here?

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2017, 9:43 pm

DarthMetaKnight wrote:
Creationism exists because people assume that nature and human civilization work the same way.

"Who built nature?"

For example, no human being is "built". We all start out as a single-celled zygote. Nobody builds us. We grow.

One Creationist told me evolution was just growing up. No, it's called maturation. :roll:

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2017, 12:07 am

Marknis wrote:
DarthMetaKnight wrote:

"Who built nature?"

One Creationist told me evolution was just growing up. No, it's called maturation. :roll:

I have heard them say Dinosaurs are just old lizards. :roll: By That they mean old individuals.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2017, 12:23 am

BettaPonic wrote:
Marknis wrote:
DarthMetaKnight wrote:

"Who built nature?"

I have heard them say Dinosaurs are just old lizards. :roll: By That they mean old individuals.

Dinosaurs weren't lizards.

Not all reptiles are lizards.

I will admit that this confuses some people. There are quite a few prehistoric creatures that looked like lizards but were not lizards, due to technicalities.

For example, Petrolacosaurus wasn't technically a lizard.

Even today, we have the tuatara, which isn't a lizard.

mikeman7918
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2017, 1:45 am

I may not agree with DarthMetaNight about everything, but this I can agree with. One of the most compelling pieces of evidence against young Earth creationism is the fact that we can see things 14.6 billion light years away, and considering that light travels at the speed of light AKA one light year per year that is very consistent with the universe being 14.6 billion years old.

Diagnosed with Asperger's, ADD, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder in 2004.
In denial that it was a problem until early 2016.

Deviant Art

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2017, 2:20 am

mikeman7918 wrote:
I may not agree with DarthMetaNight about everything, but this I can agree with. One of the most compelling pieces of evidence against young Earth creationism is the fact that we can see things 14.6 billion light years away, and considering that light travels at the speed of light AKA one light year per year that is very consistent with the universe being 14.6 billion years old.

Well right but Jack Parsons at JPL and all that makes NASA a mouthpiece for...

They may have remarkably fresh breath but they'll still be burning in hell for eternity for helping the devil steal souls!

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2017, 2:42 am

Another Thing: Creationists claim that all of the buried fossils all over the earth are a product of the global flood.

Here's the thing: These bones would still contain carbon if they were only 6,000 years old. Usually, they don't.

Another Thing: How come jawless fish are very rare nowadays, but are very common in certain rock layers? It's almost as though entire families of fish committed suicide as the flood waters were receding.

Furthermore, where did the flood waters even go? Did they fall of the earth? That isn't possible because we now know that the earth is round.

How come we only find mammal fossils in the upper layers? What a fascinating coincidence!

How come the global flood didn't salt the earth? Noah would have starved to death on a barren planet! None of this makes any sense!

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2017, 8:19 am

BettaPonic wrote:
Marknis wrote:
DarthMetaKnight wrote:

"Who built nature?"

If you look at their depictions of dinosaurs, they tend to be outdated perceptions of them based on old movies and books. This is why their claims of non-avian dinosaurs and man co-existing are so easy to debunk.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2017, 8:37 am

DarthMetaKnight wrote:
Creationists: Explain this.

These are all real fossils. Am I supposed to believe that this is all a coincidence?

Smaller horse fossils are found in older rocks. Isn't there a pattern here?

There are many different types and sizes of horses.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2017, 9:01 am

DarthMetaKnight wrote:
Another Thing: Creationists claim that all of the buried fossils all over the earth are a product of the global flood.

Here's the thing: These bones would still contain carbon if they were only 6,000 years old. Usually, they don't.

Another Thing: How come jawless fish are very rare nowadays, but are very common in certain rock layers? It's almost as though entire families of fish committed suicide as the flood waters were receding.

Furthermore, where did the flood waters even go? Did they fall of the earth? That isn't possible because we now know that the earth is round.

How come we only find mammal fossils in the upper layers? What a fascinating coincidence!

How come the global flood didn't salt the earth? Noah would have starved to death on a barren planet! None of this makes any sense!

Well if one goes with the gap theory and the flood being regional, then not of that matters.

The gap theory being that the Earth was already in existence and either became void or god made it void and then began genesis. Revelation 21 says eventually there will be a new heaven and a new earth recreated. So a first earth age, a second earth age (the one that exists now) and a third earth age yet to come.

A theory behind why the flood occurred is because a race angel (or perhaps demon) and human hybrids that existed called Nephilim, and apparently they were very evil and basically like a spreading mutation contamination whatever. So they and everyone affected were exterminated in the area they inhabited by a flood. The bible says the ark came to rest on mt Ararat and looking at a map, I can see that area has the Black sea and Caspian sea and Mediterranean sea surrounding it, so I see the possibility of that area flooding. Plus I believe there's mention of a great flood in writings outside of the bible.

Not that I subscribe to any of that. I've just heard of it.

Last edited by EzraS on 06 Aug 2017, 9:08 am, edited 2 times in total.