Page 2 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

natalia
Raven
Raven

16 Jun 2006, 9:23 pm

Chelbi wrote:
I'm curios to know if you did actually home school your son. We just found out that my soon to be 11 yr old has Asperger's (among other sensory and motor problems) and are frantically trying to repair the damage our school district has already caused in our 5 yr battle for treatment. He is in fifth grade now but begins middle school (6-8) in the fall and we are worried about the chaos of switching class every hour and the rush of students in the hall way.
Is there any advice you can share on how you've transitioned through things, including explaining to them how they are different?

i went from homeschool to middleschool at age 11, because i was lonely and wanted to have friends, and it was a horrible experience (both sensory and social). it was the worst culture shock i have ever been in, and i have been to 8 countries.

i didn't know about AS until after graduate school, i just knew i was weird... so i hung out with the foreign kids. i did get a few things out of middle school: 2 good friends (4 if you count favorite teachers) and a love of Spanish, which my mother would not have been able to teach me at that time...

now they have a lot of groups, tutors, computer programs and other helps, meetings, even sports for homeschoolers. maybe you should get your kid into homeschooling and spare him the pain of middle school. apparently things are even worse than when i was in school (80's), and worse for boys than for girls.

i don't mean to be alarmist or something. this is just my gut-feeling i'm telling you... there are many other perspectives to look at.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2006, 12:50 pm

My relationship with my parents has always been lukewarm at best. They're one of the most hardcore NTs you could ever find. So there's no way I'd agree to homeschooling. I can't spend a few hours with them without getting into an argument, so I highly doubt homeschooling would do me any good.

natalia
Raven
Raven

17 Jun 2006, 2:54 pm

Aspie1 wrote:
My relationship with my parents has always been lukewarm at best. They're one of the most hardcore NTs you could ever find. So there's no way I'd agree to homeschooling. I can't spend a few hours with them without getting into an argument, so I highly doubt homeschooling would do me any good.

you have a point. my own parents are so weird that i forget some people's parents are "normal", in the least positive sense. or some people i know, their parents are strange, but social, and don't understand their AS kids.

terifo
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Jun 2006, 11:40 pm

I am so glad to see this post! My son is going to be a 7th grader next year. I'm considering homewchooling him. He had a terrible year last year b/c the school wasn't willing to accept that he is Aspie. They just felt like he was choosing to be difficult and noncompliant. In Dec. right before Christmas break, they actually restrained him b/c he refused to leave the Content mastery room (he was trying to take a test). He was just sitting in his desk, refusing to move or speak.

Then in May we had a 3 hour IEP meeting that ended in disagreement. They are just not willing to do what he needs to have done. I was going to transfer him b/c the principal is a b*&^%, but his Special Ed counselor talked me into letting him stay.

Then a week ago, I got a letter from his principal saying she was revoking his transfer b/c she felt like "his parents needed to try to work with his home campus." So basically, she doesn't want to deal with me trying to make the school do what they should.

So, now I'm thinking about homeschcooling. I'm an elementary school teacher, so I would have to homeschool him at night and weekends. I'm going to try to talk my principal into letting him come to school with me a couple of days a week to help with some of the kids. (kind of community service).

I just think he would be so much happier not having to deal with the difficulties of dealing with all the social issues in addition to the academics.

Dandelion
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Jun 2006, 10:16 pm

I was homeschooled for two years. I wish it had been longer. I found the other homeschoolers much more tolerant than my peers at school, and not going to regular school in the twelfth grade allowed me to take college courses full time (choose my own classes! yay!) instead.