Page 16 of 16 [ 248 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2017, 4:24 pm

auntblabby wrote:
who here wants to go to the moon and mars and beyond?

I'm holding out for a trip to the Galilean moons...

I read Arthur C. Clarke's sequels to "2001- a Space Odyssey" as a kid, and was blown away by the idea that Jupiter has four pretty substantial worlds orbiting it. Then I was given a copy of the "Guinness Book of Astronomy", which actually had maps of a couple of dozen major moons. Turns out every moon has a lot of distinctive character, and the four Galileans more than most. Sulphur-yellow Io with volcanoes and geysers, smooth Europa like a cracked cue-ball, planet-sized Ganymede with strange curved dark shapes all across it, and the thousands of glittering ice craters on Callisto.

And I've actually seen them. A few years back, Jupiter was really bright in the autumn, so I used to go out in the back yard with binoculars. Just a blurry bright disk with four tiny stars to either side of it in an eerily straight line, but in one stroke I'd quintupled the number of moons I've ever seen. If I had the patience and observation skills to chart their movements, I could have retraced Galileo's proof that not everything orbits the Earth.

Yes, I'm a bit cynical about the political motivations behind the space race. But personally I don't think we've landed on /enough/ moons yet.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 5:29 am

I can just imagine what it would be like to be a member of a level 1 [kardachev scale] civilization.

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 5:32 am

We probably did. Their are thousands of scientists and people who have participated in the construction of Apollo 11 and the Lunar Module who can testify that this did happen and is possible.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 7:27 am

It wouldn't have been worth all the bother and hassle to do all this faking.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 8:25 am

Actually a new finding has surfaced that the world was introduced to a mass hallucinogen which caused them to believe the moon landings actually happened. Those who know it didn't happen are those who are immune to the hallucinogen. A similar hallucinogen was accidentally released again in 2016, which caused people to believe Donald Trump is a bad president.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 10:49 pm

EzraS wrote:
Actually a new finding has surfaced that the world was introduced to a mass hallucinogen which caused them to believe the moon landings actually happened. Those who know it didn't happen are those who are immune to the hallucinogen. A similar hallucinogen was accidentally released again in 2016, which caused people to believe Donald Trump is a bad president.

We did land on the moon, and Trump is a terrible President. We don't need hallucinogens to know that.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 4:16 am

just imagine these 2 ridiculous scenarios:

1: it is both real and a hoax at the same time.
so they really did land on the moon, but they were too embarrassed to admit they did not have the capacity to beam live TV signals to the earth, so they staged all the footage in a studio.

2: scientists scrutinizing the moon with expensive telescopes found a mirror that was obviously made by extraterrestrial beings, and to cover that information up, they staged all the lunar missions to placate questions as to how the mirror got there.

and the live footage from the moon would have had to have been on a slight delay. this would (other than the speed of light delay) be in order to prevent the public from seeing something unfortunate like the helmet blowing off armstrong's head (due to some failure of connection) and his body fluids in his head boiling instantly and exploding it in all directions that would look like a beautiful glittering snow fall in the black and white environment.

yeah i got to go to play a song.

bobchaos
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Aug 2017, 5:20 pm

@PhosphorusDecree your description of the Galilean moons got me all dreamy eyed. Too bad we have similar sets of genitals, otherwise I'd offer to marry you right now XD 100% with you, need boots on more bodies, not the same old ones!

As for this thread... really? some people still believe this stuff? Just point a laser at the damn thing (the moon), we left mirrors up there to refract the light back home for orbital measurements. Or point a telescope at it, and have a good look at all the space junk ;) where humans go, junk follows! Granted, not much around the Moon on account of few trips, but I bet there's at least a handful of old fuel tanks and discarded modules to see.

The reason we haven't used out fancy new tech to go back to the moon is that scientists are in collective agreement: the moon is BORING. Right now, humans have a probe outside any theoretical boundary for the solar system, have recently landed a probe on a comet (play some Kerbal Space Program for an hour to get an idea just how difficult that is to pull off!), and we have plans to send a probe - pausing for dramatic purposes - into THE SUN'S ATMOSPHERE :D Who wants to put boots on the Moon when you can put probes everywhere else?