Page 1 of 16 [ 248 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2017, 8:35 pm

It's been nearly 50 years since the Apollo 11 mission.
It seems hard to believe 50 years ago we had the technology and capability to achieve this. Things were very primitive then compared to now technologically. Yet these days a craft capable of just going out into space is nonexistent. No other country has managed it or even attempted it. There's talk of private business offering space flight in the future. Here it is about 50 later since we supposedly ventured out into space, and yet these days manned craft going out into space beyond the Van Allen belts something that might take place in the future.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2017, 8:52 pm

Well, since we started using the Stargate, those big rockets just haven't been as important as they used to be.

There Are Four Lights!

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2017, 9:00 pm

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Moon_landing_hoax
[/thread]

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2017, 9:09 pm

DarthMetaKnight wrote:

I don't quite understand why you post so many joe blow reports like rationalwiki and youtube news segments by someone in their house. Is it done as a joke?

CzigBot
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Aug 2017, 9:13 pm

We haven't had any big missions because the government stopped funding NASA as much after they won the space race, current rocket technology is more than capable of getting men to the moon. We could even get men to Mars, but between radiation and zero-G they wouldn't be very healthy if they were alive at all by the time they got there. There isn't much push for sending more people to space except the ISS because it's incredibly expensive and doesn't achieve anything that probes can't. On the ISS we're studying the risks of long term space travel and how to work around them.

EDIT: Just found this excellent refutation to the idea that the van allen belts would have killed the Apollo astronauts https://spacemath.gsfc.nasa.gov/earth/3Page7.pdf

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2017, 9:25 pm

The answer always seems to boil down to that it's just impossible these days. Not just for the US, but for anyone, 50 years later. When I turn 69 years old it will be a century ago.

I'm not into any of the conspiracy stuff and haven't spent time on conspiracy websites or youtube channels or anything like that. Just at face value it seems debatable after all this time.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2017, 9:29 pm

EzraS wrote:
DarthMetaKnight wrote:

I don't quite understand why you post so many joe blow reports like rationalwiki and youtube news segments by someone in their house. Is it done as a joke?

You honestly think that moon hoaxers are more trustworthy than RatWiki? :lol:

Has the corporate media been promoting conspiracy theories lately? I wouldn't know. I don't pollute my brain with that plutocratic, "patriotic", advertisement-laden filth.

Do you prefer Snopes?
http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/hoaxes/moonhoax.asp

If you want, I could just play footage of the actual moon landing. It ended up on the corporate news, so it must be legit! :lol:

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2017, 9:42 pm

Yes, we landed on the Moon.

I have no doubt that we did.

To suppose otherwise is ridiculous.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2017, 9:43 pm

DarthMetaKnight wrote:
EzraS wrote:
DarthMetaKnight wrote:

You honestly think that moon hoaxers are more trustworthy than RatWiki? :lol:

Has the corporate media been promoting conspiracy theories lately? I wouldn't know. I don't pollute my brain with that plutocratic, "patriotic", advertisement-laden filth.

Do you prefer Snopes?
http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/hoaxes/moonhoax.asp

If you want, I could just play footage of the actual moon landing. It ended up on the corporate news, so it must be legit! :lol:

I still can't tell if you're just joking around or what your own actual opinion is.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2017, 9:51 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Yes, we landed on the Moon.

I have no doubt that we did.

To suppose otherwise is ridiculous.

If I remember your age right, you would have been watching all that on TV as it unfolded with all the subsequent missions. If someone said back then, no one will never achieve anything like this again, even as far off as 2025, what would you have thought about a remark like that back then? Wasn't everyone expecting there to be a base/laboratory/colony/whatever on the Moon and missions to Mars way before 2025? Yet all that kind of stuff will just amount to pure science fiction in 2025 and probably 2050 and so on.

Is there anything else that was achieved 50 years ago technologically and scientifically, that can't easily be achieved today?

I'm just wondering how long it will continue. Seventy five years? A hundred years?

Last edited by EzraS on 01 Aug 2017, 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CzigBot

01 Aug 2017, 9:56 pm

EzraS wrote:
The answer always seems to boil down to that it's just impossible these days. Not just for the US, but for anyone, 50 years later. When I turn 69 years old it will be a century ago.

I'm not into any of the conspiracy stuff and haven't spent time on conspiracy websites or youtube channels or anything like that. Just at face value it seems debatable after all this time.

What exactly seems impossible about it? The main thing that's improved since then are computers, as far as rockets go we're still using the same thing for the most part. Computerized manufacturing means stuff can be designed more precisely and cheaper, but it's still fundamentally the same stuff. We're still using the same old chemical thrusters and metal hulls, nothing fantastic like fusion torches or nanomaterials. All it really takes to get to the moon is a rocket big enough, and the Saturn V is a hell of a big rocket.

As for putting labs and colonies on the moon, as I said in my previous comment it just isn't worth it economically. We had a much bigger ambition to go to space back then, so it only seemed natural that after the moon landing a Mars landing and moon base would only be natural. But the government didn't agree and their funding cuts put an end to those goals for a long time.

old_comedywriter
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2017, 10:00 pm

If Stanley Kubrick faked the moon landings, then Irwin Allen faked Apollo 13.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2017, 10:04 pm

CzigBot wrote:
EzraS wrote:

What exactly seems impossible about it? The main thing that's improved since then are computers, as far as rockets go we're still using the same thing for the most part. Computerized manufacturing means stuff can be designed more precisely and cheaper, but it's still fundamentally the same stuff. We're still using the same old chemical thrusters and metal hulls, nothing fantastic like fusion torches or nanomaterials. All it really takes to get to the moon is a rocket big enough, and the Saturn V is a hell of a big rocket.

As for putting labs and colonies on the moon, as I said in my previous comment it just isn't worth it economically. We had a much bigger ambition to go to space back then, so it only seemed natural that after the moon landing a Mars landing and moon base would only be natural. But the government didn't agree and their funding cuts put an end to those goals for a long time.

I'm not saying impossible. Just that it seems more debatable as the decades continue rolling by, that absolutely no one is anywhere close to being able to achieve it by the first quarter of the 21st century. And it seems more likely than not even by the first half of the 21st century nothing like it will occur. How long are the excuses supposed to hold up for?

Flash to 2069: "Well yeah we did that several times a hundred years ago, but these days it's just not feasible".

CzigBot

01 Aug 2017, 10:11 pm

Why does it seem debatable then? What specific pieces of technology don't seem up to the task? A vague sense that tech was "too primitive" back then doesn't give me much to go off of. I've explained twice so far that we haven't done more manned missions outside of low Earth orbit because it's expensive and the government doesn't want to fund it now that the space race is over. Going back to the moon is pretty pointless too so we've got to develop the tech to go all the way to Mars instead, that is a LOT more complicated.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2017, 10:14 pm

EzraS wrote:
I'm not saying impossible. Just that it seems more debatable as the decades continue rolling by, that absolutely no one is anywhere close to being able to achieve it by the first quarter of the 21st century. And it seems more likely than not even by the first half of the 21st century nothing like it will occur. How long are the excuses supposed to hold up for?

Flash to 2069: "Well yeah we did that several times a hundred years ago, but these days it's just not feasible".

Yes, and this is more a reflection of "civilizational confidence" than anything else.

I do think there will be men on the moon again in the not too distant future. And I'm pretty sure they will be Chinese.

There Are Four Lights!

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2017, 10:25 pm

It's not impossible.

The obstacles are primarily economic.

However it would not be an off the shelf mission. Many, if not most, of the engineers who worked on the Apollo program are gone, and while new engineers wouldn't be starting entirely from scratch, it wouldn't be like putting together furniture from Ikea either.