Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

wrongcitizen
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2017, 4:50 am

Just so we can let people know we're liking their posts. Maybe even just the upvote if people don't want to be down voted. Also if added make it so we can toggle whether we're notified or not, so we know who's responding and where, and when we like something someone posts we can let them know that we read what they posted, and for ourselves as well.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2017, 5:23 am

The ability to upvote can be a positive thing, but downvoting can often start to be abused on sites that have that facility, and cause fighting, revenge downvoting and bad feeling.

There are always personal vendettas of one kind or another going on between this member or that one around any community, and sites where I've seen this happening, even when one person gets targeted by several to have anything they post downvoted for no reason.

I wouldn't be for a voting system.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2017, 1:37 pm

BirdInFlight wrote:
The ability to upvote can be a positive thing, but downvoting can often start to be abused on sites that have that facility, and cause fighting, revenge downvoting and bad feeling.

There are always personal vendettas of one kind or another going on between this member or that one around any community, and sites where I've seen this happening, even when one person gets targeted by several to have anything they post downvoted for no reason.

I wouldn't be for a voting system.

Same here. I'm not sure how a voting system would work out on Wrongplanet. Some people might just down vote posts just to be mean, or because they don't like the person posting. It's a good idea, but I don't think it will work out very well.

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2017, 3:19 pm

Yep, it's a good idea but I've seen other sites (Reddit is one) where people downvote because they don't like someone or just to be mean. Reddit's really bad for that type of thing. Another site I was on had a catty bunch of women who downvoted people who weren't in their friends circle on there, lol!

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2017, 6:10 pm

I don't think this site has the resources or man/womanpower to effectively implement and moderate such a feature.
The obvious drawbacks (amusing as they are a problem) are inevitable as a result.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2017, 9:19 pm

BirdInFlight wrote:
Yep, it's a good idea but I've seen other sites (Reddit is one) where people downvote because they don't like someone or just to be mean. Reddit's really bad for that type of thing. Another site I was on had a catty bunch of women who downvoted people who weren't in their friends circle on there, lol!

Yeah- I've seen the same thing on Reddit quite a lot. Lol that other site you mentioned sounds like fun :roll: . I just don't want to see Wrongplanet go the "Reddit Route", but it's all up to Alex of course :D . By the way- if you ever read this alex, thank you so much for making this website! It's amazing and I really enjoy it here :D .

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2017, 12:33 am

looks like most of the potential benefits and downsides have been addressed, and i'd like to point out that the feature is probably not easily implementable on this site software anyway. trying to do so would be a very strenuous process, and (not addressing anyone on this thread specifically) sometimes people overlook the fact that adding features isn't as simple as flipping a switch, and it takes many days of swatting bugs and tweaking among other things.

this topic has been brought up many times over the years, and i think the following discussion (starting near the bottom and lasting for several pages) is relevant if one really cares enough.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=177688&start=210

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.