Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

statsattack
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Aug 2017, 2:45 pm

Was diagnosed with this yestEr day. Anybody know anything about it?

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2017, 7:39 pm

I don't know much, but I know it's a developmental disability that impacts motor skills (fine & gross). I believe it's also known as developmental coordination disorder. If you don't know, the actor who played Harry Potter has dyspraxia. I noticed it from the way he walked and looked it up :D .

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

statsattack
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Aug 2017, 10:00 am

Trying to learn as much about it as I can. It isn't a common thing. I also know I don't have it severe but I do have a awkward physical presence.

I look at it as dyslexia with motor skills.

Hoping as a 28 year old I can see the occupational and physical therapy to allow me to speak with investors.

Last edited by statsattack on 03 Aug 2017, 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2017, 10:01 am

statsattack wrote:
Trying to learn as much about it as I can. It isn't a common thing. I also know I don't have it severe but I do have a awkward physical presence.

Hoping as a 28 year old I can see the occupational and physical therapy to allow me to speak with investors.

It's great you are learning more about the condition! I hope you manage to get what you need. :D

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

09 Sep 2017, 9:41 pm

I think I have some of this or did when I was younger cuz I saw an occupational therapist when I was in skewl for movement issues. I came across some info that vitamin E might help. I take it for other issues & haven't really noticed improvement with dyspraxia but maybe you'll have better luck.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Xlandril
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Sep 2017, 12:35 am

Well, some WELL-DRESSED MAN at my local college diagnosed me with 'dyspraxia', but I don't think he was a real doctor or anything, but he wore a suit, so... I guess I should pay attention to him, but he said "Oh yeah, I believe you've got dyspraxia, aka 'bad writing syndrome'" or something equally stupid, so I don't know, maybe he was a stupid-person

I guess I do have "bad writing" though... I mean, it's LEGIBLE... it's not like a spider having a seizure with a pen or anything, but it is mostly child-like in appearance. I write in a mixture of capitals and lower case, and I only 'print' my writing (as in, no 'hand-writing')

I feel I've used too-many hyphenated words. I may not fully understand the grammatical implications of it.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2017, 7:35 pm

I have it. I'm not sure if I actually have autism, really. I've been diagnosed with dyspraxia, but not autism. The two conditions have a lot of overlap because the personality traits that often go with dyspraxia can be quite similar to what used to be called Asperger's Syndrome.

A fun thing to do if you have dyspraxia is read about Samuel Taylor Coleridge, who is suspected to have had the condition. Stories about him include:
* Dropping out of university because he was too disorganised to cope, and the joining the army instead to make him more 'manly'. Only he had to leave the army because he couldn't fire a musket or even sit on horse without falling off.
* Being so engrossed in his own thoughts that he was seen pretending to swim down the streets of London because he was imagining swimming between islands from ancient Greek mythology.
* That anecdote from Keats that he went for a walk with Coleridge and the conversation kept jumping from electricity to Krakens to theology and everything in between.
*The time he used his last clean shirt as a towel for shaving right before delivering one of his famous lectures on Shakespeare. He gave the lecture while wearing the stained shirt.
*Trying to set up an anarchist-style commune with his friend Robert Southey in America, and it not working out at all before they even got on a boat, but finding himself married to the woman Southey told him to marry as part of the plan (he had this issue of idolising his male friends).

And many more. That's just off the top of my head. G.K. Chesterton probably had it, too. I love the story of how he would go somewhere and often completely forget why he went there. :lol:

It's a complex disorder that isn't well understood. The symptoms of motor clumsiness, disorganisation and sensory perception difficulties are recognised, but a lot of people find that as adults, the psychological aspects of the condition affect them more profoundly. The obvious symptoms become less important as you get older, but you end up looking back on life and reflecting on how the condition has shaped your personality and experiences without it being recognised at the time.

OutsideView
Veteran
Veteran

Location: England ^not male but apparently you can't change it

07 Nov 2017, 9:10 am

I was diagnosed with dyspraxia while at university. Always thought it was just bad handwriting and clumsiness. It was interesting to read more about it and find that it was probably also the cause of my lack of organisation and inability to do things on time. I used to always carry all of my books with me at school because I could never remember which lessons I had. :lol: