Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Aug 2017, 3:36 pm

hey is there anyone here that's going to or is in college? :heart:

Grammar Geek
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2017, 3:40 pm

I'm in college. Is there something you want to know in particular?

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2017, 4:33 pm

mlpgirl1998 wrote:

College Tips:

1. If you are raped or sexually assaulted, report it to the police immediately and go to the hospital and have them do a rape kit (if you were raped or sexually assaulted in a manner in which one is appropriate). If the perpetrator is another student or the attack happened on campus, also report it to the university but do not rely on the college or university to be on your side because colleges and universities only care about hushing things up and discrediting victims.

1b. If someone is touching you in a way that makes you feel uncomfortable and is not ok with you, it's ok to tell them to stop.

1c. Do not leave any of your drinks or food unattended, particularly at parties, even with friends, if they are of the opposite sex or of the same sex, but unreliable. It's really best to just not let things you are going to consume out of your sight.

2. Do not be afraid to take legal action against your college or university if need be.

3. If you need accommodations for your disability, contact your college or university's office for disabled students and inquire about how to obtain the accommodations you need.

4. If you will be working, and are in the U.S. learn how to fill out applicable tax forms. As a student you will qualify for certain tax credits and your university will provide you with a form concerning this.

5. If you are in the U.S. and you receive a phone call from the IRS, it is not the IRS but scammers trying to scam you out of money. The real IRS typically only contacts people through U.S. mail, and often only certified U.S. mail, with the exception of sending tax return and refund checks. The IRS will never contact you by phone to tell you you owe money or that there is a warrant for your arrest.

I will detail more later.

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2017, 6:24 am

Chronos wrote:
Do not leave any of your drinks or food unattended, particularly at parties, even with friends, if they are of the opposite sex or of the same sex, but unreliable.

I'm not too sure I agree with what you're implying here. Unless you have trust issues with men caused by trauma - which is the only case in which I'd understand anyone saying this - it's wrong to mark the opposite sex as unreliable by default. I for one would trust a woman to hold my beer just as much as I'd trust a dude.

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2017, 7:14 am

Chronos wrote:
mlpgirl1998 wrote:

College Tips:

1. If you are raped or sexually assaulted, report it to the police immediately and go to the hospital and have them do a rape kit (if you were raped or sexually assaulted in a manner in which one is appropriate). If the perpetrator is another student or the attack happened on campus, also report it to the university but do not rely on the college or university to be on your side because colleges and universities only care about hushing things up and discrediting victims.

1b. If someone is touching you in a way that makes you feel uncomfortable and is not ok with you, it's ok to tell them to stop.

1c. Do not leave any of your drinks or food unattended, particularly at parties, even with friends, if they are of the opposite sex or of the same sex, but unreliable. It's really best to just not let things you are going to consume out of your sight.

2. Do not be afraid to take legal action against your college or university if need be.

3. If you need accommodations for your disability, contact your college or university's office for disabled students and inquire about how to obtain the accommodations you need.

4. If you will be working, and are in the U.S. learn how to fill out applicable tax forms. As a student you will qualify for certain tax credits and your university will provide you with a form concerning this.

5. If you are in the U.S. and you receive a phone call from the IRS, it is not the IRS but scammers trying to scam you out of money. The real IRS typically only contacts people through U.S. mail, and often only certified U.S. mail, with the exception of sending tax return and refund checks. The IRS will never contact you by phone to tell you you owe money or that there is a warrant for your arrest.

Where do you think she's going to college? Afghanistan?

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2017, 9:58 am

I'm going back for my second semester in a few weeks. I would definitely say to focus on your academics and try to establish a good relationship with your professors and the staff in the disabilities office (if you qualify for services). If you struggle with certain subjects too, seek out help sooner rather than later and there is likely free tutoring available too at your school. I don't know where you are going, but they have tons of free tutors at my school. If you want to, you can also see if there are clubs that relate to your interests and join them to meet new people. Also, hanging out in the library a lot helped me make friends.

Scorpius14
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2017, 5:51 pm

dont do what i did which was to stay indoors playing a certain mmorpg and spending real money on microtransactions, ofcourse if ur in the US yer literally paying to study, me on the other hand got a loan to pay for mine and fortunately dont have to pay it back until i have a job

SharkSandwich211
Toucan
Toucan

04 Aug 2017, 6:10 pm

Get organized and stay organized

Communicate with your professors- take advantage of office hours for added help, and ask questions in class.

If you have accommodations make sure your professor knows about them and HONORS them!! !

Expectation management- Know what the professor wants you to do and how the work is to be done. Try and resolve any and all Ambiguity!! !! (Teachers will change stuff on you all of the time, was one of my biggest problems)

Take care of yourself- rest, alone/down time, diet, etc

If you have identified areas that are problematic for you really try and use your resources to build a framework that will minimize those deficits. (Resource Center, Peers, Tutors, Advisers, etc)

As the dean of the arts school once told me "D equals done" to a perfectionist like myself this can be extremely hard...but it is also a reality sometimes....do the best you can. It is school, you are not expected to know everything. It is a place to make some mistakes, learn from them, and grow.

Best of Luck!! !! Shark

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2017, 1:52 am

whatamievendoing wrote:
Chronos wrote:
Do not leave any of your drinks or food unattended, particularly at parties, even with friends, if they are of the opposite sex or of the same sex, but unreliable.

I'm not too sure I agree with what you're implying here. Unless you have trust issues with men caused by trauma - which is the only case in which I'd understand anyone saying this - it's wrong to mark the opposite sex as unreliable by default. I for one would trust a woman to hold my beer just as much as I'd trust a dude.

Chronos wrote:

Perhaps you misunderstood the placement of the comma? If I wished to single out men, I would have said, "if they are of the opposite sex, or if they are of the same sex but unreliable."

But I did not. Opposite sex and same sex are in the same clause, and the word "unreliable" is in it's own clause. Thus the proper way to interpret my sentence is to not trust a person of either sex if they are unreliable.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2017, 1:55 am

Chichikov wrote:
Chronos wrote:
mlpgirl1998 wrote:

College Tips:

Where do you think she's going to college? Afghanistan?

I'm assuming Texas, or somewhere else in the continental United States. Understand I spend a decade both studying and working at a university. I know what I'm talking about.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2017, 1:56 am

SharkSandwich211 wrote:
Get organized and stay organized

Communicate with your professors- take advantage of office hours for added help, and ask questions in class.

If you have accommodations make sure your professor knows about them and HONORS them!! !

Expectation management- Know what the professor wants you to do and how the work is to be done. Try and resolve any and all Ambiguity!! ! ! (Teachers will change stuff on you all of the time, was one of my biggest problems)

Take care of yourself- rest, alone/down time, diet, etc

If you have identified areas that are problematic for you really try and use your resources to build a framework that will minimize those deficits. (Resource Center, Peers, Tutors, Advisers, etc)

As the dean of the arts school once told me "D equals done" to a perfectionist like myself this can be extremely hard...but it is also a reality sometimes....do the best you can. It is school, you are not expected to know everything. It is a place to make some mistakes, learn from them, and grow.

Best of Luck!! ! ! Shark

Perhaps the Dean meant that "D equals done" because at some schools, that's a failing grade, and at schools that it isn't a failing grade, cumulative Ds will still result in dismissal.

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2017, 4:36 am

Chronos wrote:
Perhaps you misunderstood the placement of the comma?

Ah. Yes, I did, in fact. My mistake.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2017, 3:57 pm

Keep up with your class assignments.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2017, 10:10 pm

whatamievendoing wrote:
Chronos wrote:

as in someone might spike your drink/food.

although, as an AS, only went to a couple parties. and nobody spiked anything i ate. that i knew of. and the alcohol was clearly recognized and separate.

nobody pressured me to drink alcohol, smoke, or do drugs.

but some precious lil "people" had the nerve to pressure me to have sex, identify as cisgender and heterosexual, deny or minimize my autism symptoms. change religions. stay up late. wake up early. wear long hair. not crossdress.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2017, 3:20 am

...Myself, my lack of having truly " gone to college " is a lifetime trauma for :) me! :(
It' s a doorway I never went through -a rite of passage-ritual-experience I never had.
Even all these years later :cry: . I just never had the chance, cliche though it may be, to " discover who I am ". All these years later. :cry:

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2017, 4:54 am

Chronos wrote:
I'm assuming Texas, or somewhere else in the continental United States. Understand I spend a decade both studying and working at a university. I know what I'm talking about.

Thank God I did my studying in the UK where we had other things to worry about than being raped, abused or having to take legal action.