Page 1 of 4 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2017, 4:54 am

Chronos wrote:
I'm assuming Texas, or somewhere else in the continental United States. Understand I spend a decade both studying and working at a university. I know what I'm talking about.

Thank God I did my studying in the UK where we had other things to worry about than being raped, abused or having to take legal action.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2017, 4:07 pm

Chichikov wrote:
Chronos wrote:
I'm assuming Texas, or somewhere else in the continental United States. Understand I spend a decade both studying and working at a university. I know what I'm talking about.

Thank God I did my studying in the UK where we had other things to worry about than being raped, abused or having to take legal action.

I wouldn't say there is an epidemic of rape at American college campuses, and I don't know how the rates compare to the UK. But the legal drinking age in the US is 21, and when kids go to college at 18, they suddenly find they have access (although illegal) to alcohol and are more likely to indulge in it and drink irresponsibly. This increases the odds of sexual assaults. Additionally, colleges are notorious for mishandling sexual assault allegations, and trying to cover up assaults or discredit the victims.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2017, 8:59 pm

ASS-P wrote:
...Myself, my lack of having truly " gone to college " is a lifetime trauma for :) me! :(
It' s a doorway I never went through -a rite of passage-ritual-experience I never had.
Even all these years later :cry: . I just never had the chance, cliche though it may be, to " discover who I am ". All these years later. :cry:

________________________________________________________________________________________

ASS-P:

many students that start college dropout or flunk out. or they find out they would rather be working, unemployed, join the military, or start a family. or something like that.

of the students that graduate, many take over four years. some articles claim lately it takes 5.5 years average to get a Bachelors degree.

of the students that graduate, many have student loans. some of those student loans take a long time to pay off. many graduates and dropouts default on their student loans.

defaulting on loans has a lot of long term impacts.

many people do not go to college, and they are still vocationally successful and functionally useful.

someone could be successful, in ways that are not vocational.

many people graduate college, and they are unemployed or working at jobs that do not require degrees.

many people graduate college and regret having gone. and i am one of them.

society makes it sound like a Bachelors degree is necessary and sufficient to earn enough $$ for room and board. but that ain't correct.

especially after 2008 recession.

anyways they have FAFSA, grants, scholarships, private loans. online colleges. community colleges.

why can't you go?

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2017, 9:26 pm

...What do you want me to do instead? Wait to die? What other alternative is there? :cry: You see my age and you have seen the comment about my younger brother's death, yes?
Frankly, maybe even if I did get to go to uni (Yes, BA-track residential " real college ") -I acknowledge I'd have to do first, going to community college/similar(cc) - " pay my phone dues ", alright.
NOTE: I have tp stop now and put up more later.

e="shortfatbalduglyman "]

ASS-P wrote:
...Myself, my lack of having truly " gone to college " is a lifetime trauma for :) me! :(
It'

experience I never had.
Even all these years later :cry: . I just never had the chance, cliche though it may be, to " discover who I am ". All these years later. :cry:

________________________________________________________________________________________

many students that start college dropout or flunk out. or they find out they would rather be working, unemployed, join the military, or start a family. or something like that.

of the students that graduate, many take over four years. some articles claim lately it takes 5.5 years average to get a Bachelors degree.

of the students that graduate, many have student loans. some of those student loans take a long time to pay off. many graduates and dropouts default on their student loans.

many people do not go to college, and they are still vocationally successful and functionally useful.

many people graduate college, and they are unemployed or working at jobs that do not require degrees.

society makes it sound like a Bachelors degree is necessary and sufficient to earn enough $$ for room and board. but that ain't correct.

anyways they have FAFSA, grants, scholarships, private loans. online colleges. community colleges.

why can't you go?[/quote]

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2017, 9:34 pm

If the college offers a course in study skills, or general preparation to succeed in college, take it. If not, you can probably find a book that will lay out a plan for success. You will have thought of some things, but maybe not others.

Get to know the administrator for your academic department. She or he will probably look like the secretary for the department chair, but don't be fooled. That person can help you with transfer credits, unusual minors, or anything involving completing your degree. Treat them good.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2017, 11:48 pm

ASS-P wrote:
...What do you want me to do instead? Wait to die? What other alternative is there? :cry: You see my age and you have seen the comment about my younger brother's death, yes?
Frankly, maybe even if I did get to go to uni (Yes, BA-track residential " real college ") -I acknowledge I'd have to do first, going to community college/similar(cc) - " pay my phone dues ", alright.
NOTE: I have tp stop now and put up more later.

I think it's great that you aspire for something and if you want to go to college then you should.

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2017, 12:16 pm

Chronos wrote:
Chichikov wrote:
Chronos wrote:

I wouldn't say there is an epidemic of rape at American college campuses, and I don't know how the rates compare to the UK. But the legal drinking age in the US is 21, and when kids go to college at 18, they suddenly find they have access (although illegal) to alcohol and are more likely to indulge in it and drink irresponsibly. This increases the odds of sexual assaults. Additionally, colleges are notorious for mishandling sexual assault allegations, and trying to cover up assaults or discredit the victims.

In the UK everyone has legal access to alcohol at 18 and they all drink irresponsibly cos that's what 18 year olds do. However if someone asked me for tips on university I certainly wouldn't have what to do when you're raped in the #1 spot.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2017, 2:33 pm

Chichikov wrote:
Chronos wrote:
Chichikov wrote:
Chronos wrote:

In the UK everyone has legal access to alcohol at 18 and they all drink irresponsibly cos that's what 18 year olds do. However if someone asked me for tips on university I certainly wouldn't have what to do when you're raped in the #1 spot.

Maybe you should.

One in three UK female students sexually assaulted or abused on campus

Campus Rape Happens In The UK, Too

Sexual harassment 'at epidemic levels' in UK universities

Why is There 'No Such Thing' as Rape on British University Campuses?

This Is Why People Are Debating About Rape On Uni Campuses

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2017, 3:31 pm

Chronos wrote:

Looking past the sensational title, the number of females that were sexually assaulted was 5%, according to the Office of National Statistics the number of women sexually assaulted in England and Wales was 19.9%, so there doesn't seem to be any higher chance of you being assaulted on campus than in a pub or anywhere else outside of uni so similarly there is no real need to give any woman at uni advice that you wouldn't give to someone not at uni. The higher percentages mentioned (such as 30%) were for inappropriate touching or groping, something not really covered in the crime stats but I don't doubt that that many women are subjected to that kind of behaviour in pubs and nightclubs in non-uni life also.

Chronos wrote:

That article seemed to focus on student\teacher incidents but it didn't stipulate what constituted an assault and the numbers were very low, 300 claims in 6 years? It's likely that consensual relationships are included in those stats making it hard to derive any real inference.

I didn't look at the other links as I can only assume they don't contain any major revelations either.

drwho222
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2017, 4:52 pm

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
ASS-P wrote:
It' s a doorway I never went through -a rite of passage-ritual-experience I never had.

ASS-P:

why can't you go?

^This. Amen and Amen.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2017, 6:26 pm

Don't go because it is "the thing to do." If an investment banker wouldn't see a clear, non-risky path to profit from a degree, don't take on Any debt. As an aspie, you have better than usual odds of learning better in a library than a classroom, and of being distressed by dorm life.
I went from flunking out of high school with a general knowledge level above college grad averages, to the library, and back to the workshop to demonstrate what I'd learned. Then I went directly to giving a lecture to graduating engineers. I even got applause, and was so green I didn't know it was unusual.
Back when I was college age, the government co-signed student loans, instead of ruling out bankruptcy pleas on them, but it still wasn't worth it, because the textbooks were years behind what I wanted to learn.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2017, 9:25 pm

Chichikov wrote:
Chronos wrote:

Looking past the sensational title, the number of females that were sexually assaulted was 5%, according to the Office of National Statistics the number of women sexually assaulted in England and Wales was 19.9%, so there doesn't seem to be any higher chance of you being assaulted on campus than in a pub or anywhere else outside of uni so similarly there is no real need to give any woman at uni advice that you wouldn't give to someone not at uni. The higher percentages mentioned (such as 30%) were for inappropriate touching or groping, something not really covered in the crime stats but I don't doubt that that many women are subjected to that kind of behaviour in pubs and nightclubs in non-uni life also.

Chronos wrote:

That article seemed to focus on student\teacher incidents but it didn't stipulate what constituted an assault and the numbers were very low, 300 claims in 6 years? It's likely that consensual relationships are included in those stats making it hard to derive any real inference.

I didn't look at the other links as I can only assume they don't contain any major revelations either.

There is a need to give people going to universities and colleges this advice because a lot of times, if they report the sexual assaults, they report them to the school, expecting the school to take action to protect them, and the school has run with that information and done the opposite. Universities in the U.S. also have campus police. These police officers are state police, but being the campus is their main jurisdiction and they have close affiliations with the universities, they may be biased in their handling of assault cases and try to downplay or discourage victims from taking action, or treat victims in inappropriate manners. The environment on university campuses, particularly large ones, is like a city in itself, where school administration is the government and the police have loyalty to the school.

I don't know if you are of this opinion, but if you are of the opinion that I should not disseminate information how to seek help if they are sexually assaulted at a university, I suppose that is your opinion to have, however I will never withhold information that I think is valuable for someone to know, particularly on the subject of sexual assault regardless of how unnecessary someone else thinks the information is.

One thing I keep encountering every time I talk to women about rape and sexual assault is people who try to silence me on the matter, or tell me I am over reacting or overstating the problem, and I hate to say it, but the truth of the matter is, these people have always been men. That is merely the fact of the matter. While men can be and are sometimes victims of rape and sexual assault, particularly in prisons and the military, and war zones such as the DRC, and I sincerely extend my acknowledgement and support to them, in every day life it's girls and women who are overwhelmingly the target of opportunistic and pathological sexual predators, and I don't believe most males can ever really know what that's like. That's forgivable, but I don't understand why these men I refer to in my first sentence, who have no experience living life as a woman, must insert themselves into these conversations and attempt to minimize, hinder, derail, and discredit, or otherwise have a problem with women talking to women about issues women face.

Women on the spectrum are particularly at risk for being raped and sexually assaulted. 300 people over 6 years may not be a very high number but to the person who was assaulted, it would be too high if it were 1 and that 1 was them. Women are assaulted on university campuses and universities do mishandle the cases, blame the victims, threaten victims, and try to shut the victim both up and down.

Hopefully the OP will not be sexually assaulted at university but if she is, now at least she has some idea on how to address the situation.

Do you have any objection to that?

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2017, 11:46 pm

...Do you say " amen " to both SFBUM's discouraging me from any attempt to go to uni - maybe - and to his wrap-up being more encouraging " well, if you REALLY want to go..."? Or just one?

te="drwho222"]

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
ASS-P wrote:

ASS-P:

why can't you go?

^This. Amen and Amen.[/quote]

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2017, 12:10 am

I know a guy who was about one exam away from becoming a lawyer, and he decided he was having more fun in his current job as a chef.
A degree says that you have been exposed to your subject, and have at least memorized some facts, although understanding may be absent. Mostly, though, it says that you will put up with all kinds of BS to get certified for employment, and can be made to jump through more hoops. It also says that you expect to perform predictably and somewhat interchangeably. If you can't keep it up, your resume devalues your degree.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2017, 12:36 am

Dear_one wrote:
I know a guy who was about one exam away from becoming a lawyer, and he decided he was having more fun in his current job as a chef.
A degree says that you have been exposed to your subject, and have at least memorized some facts, although understanding may be absent. Mostly, though, it says that you will put up with all kinds of BS to get certified for employment, and can be made to jump through more hoops. It also says that you expect to perform predictably and somewhat interchangeably. If you can't keep it up, your resume devalues your degree.

While there is certainly truth to what you say, I think it's important not to discount the fact that, for a person on the spectrum, who may not be good at talking their way into employment situations, degrees are often the only tool they can utilize in their pursuit of employment and success. A lot of people also obtain degrees as a by product of their desire for a formal pursuit of knowledge. Brian May of Queen received his PhD in astrophysics a number of years ago. He did not need this for income reasons. It was something he wished to pursue due to his love of the field.

I'm sure ASS-P has explored many paths in life, and knows what hasn't worked for him and what might work for him, and his desire to pursue a college degree is not short sighted. I do think though that the process may feel overwhelming to him. Despite this, he still wants to do it...perhaps because he knows it is not actually as difficult as it appears, and I think those who discourage him create unnecessary obstacles by feeding his fears.

If I lived in the San Francisco area, I would accompany him to CCSF and help him register, because I think once he gets past that, he will do just fine.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2017, 6:07 am

.. Thank you. I will say this, though I very much would like, in this hypothesized going to CCSF, the " ride and a shoulder " I spoke about - I would need considerable help in making connections/setting things up before this :| The sending of the appliclations, as I have said before, for actual admission, and especially the applying for the grant money I would absolutely need (Remember, I only went to school as cc back during the Carter administration on an unpleasant basis :(, and I believe I received some college loan $ then, but I'm sure far less than the six-figure amount of aid that I have seen quoted IIRC as " any contemporary American kid can get if they pursue everything available "...and, hey, I am a prime " candidate for rehabiltation /recovery ", even more perhaps, yes? Yes, preferably grants/help before loans, what you gotta pay back. YES, thank you too, Ch, the point about the simple likely need of a piece of paper saying " Degree ", even just some of it is very good point :) !

uote="Chronos"]

Dear_one wrote:
A degree says that you have been exposed to your subject, and have at least memorized some facts, although understanding may be absent. Mostly, though, it says thathypothesized you will put up with all kinds of BS to get certified for employment, and can be made to jump through more hoops. It also says that you expect to perform predictably and somewhat interchangeably. If you can't keep it up, your resume devalues your degree.

While there is certainly truth to what you say, I think it's important not to discount the fact that, for a person on the spectrum, who may not be good at talking their way into employment situations, degrees are often the only tool they can utilize in their pursuit of employment and success. A lot of people also obtain degrees as a by product of their desire for a formal pursuit of knowledge. Brian May of Queen received his PhD in astrophysics a number of years ago. He did not need this for income reasons. It was something he wished to pursue due to his love of the field.

I'm sure ASS-P has explored many paths in life, and knows what hasn't worked for him and what might work for him, and his desire to pursue a college degree is not short sighted. I do think though that the process may feel overwhelming to him. Despite this, he still wants to do it...perhaps because he knows it is not actually as difficult as it appears, and I think those who discourage him create unnecessary obstacles by feeding his fears.

If I lived in the San Francisco area, I would accompany him to CCSF and help him register, because I think once he gets past that, he will do just fine.[/quote]