Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2017, 1:28 am

Autism Speaks Retooling Scientific Agenda

Quote:
Less than a year after dropping references to finding a cure from its mission statement, Autism Speaks is looking for input amid a revamp of its scientific priorities.

The national nonprofit is developing a new three-year strategic plan for science, which will guide the organization’s efforts to fund studies and shape what’s known about autism.

The contents of the new plan — which is expected to be unveiled by the end of the year — stand to have a profound impact. A federal report found that Autism Speaks doled out $18.6 million in grants in 2013 alone, making it one of the largest funders of autism research behind only the U.S. government and the Simons Foundation.

As part of the strategic plan update, Autism Speaks is collecting feedback on what type of research the group should be emphasizing or avoiding as it distributes funds going forward.

Already, more than 5,000 people have responded to a survey asking if the group’s scientific mission should focus on identifying the causes of autism, understanding the disorder’s biology, improving screening and tracking of those with autism across the life span, developing new interventions or something different altogether.

Officials with Autism Speaks indicated that developing a new plan for science is both a routine update and a response to an evolving need from those affected by autism.

“We see our role as changing slightly,” Tom Frazier, the group’s chief science officer, told members of the Interagency Autism Coordinating Committee last month.

“Our new role is going to be to seed novel projects. We still want to cover the full space from discovery to solutions but we know that we need to be more targeted and we also know that we might have a unique role in funding very practical and immediate projects that can bring relief and help and increase quality of life to individuals and families,” Frazier said.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

slw1990
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2017, 9:43 pm

It doesn't sound like their mission is much different than it was before.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2017, 8:17 am

So......what exactly are they changing? :?

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

AquaineBay
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2017, 12:48 pm

I like how their first thing is to "relieve" people of autism. Since it's neurological , how would you go about doing that? The only way you could do that would be the result of one's death! Even if there was such things as brain transplants if a person were to get it the original brain is gone so...the person is still dead.

So please Autism Speaks please inform us on how you are going to "relieve" people of autism without flat out killing the person!

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
and Wisdom to know the difference."

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2017, 12:50 pm

slw1990 wrote:
It doesn't sound like their mission is much different than it was before.
That mission would be ensuring the survival and influence of Autism Speaks?

Nuthatchnut
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Aug 2017, 1:03 pm

AquaineBay wrote:
I like how their first thing is to "relieve" people of autism.

I read their mission as bringing relief to those affected by autism, rather than relieving them of autism. For example I find relief in alone time. It does not relieve me of autism, but it helps me regain my balance.

PS I do not know much about Autism Speaks or their intentions, it's just how I read the quoted text.

AquaineBay
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2017, 1:15 pm

Nuthatchnut wrote:
AquaineBay wrote:

I read their mission as bringing relief to those affected by autism, rather than relieving them of autism. For example I find relief in alone time. It does not relieve me of autism, but it helps me regain my balance.

PS I do not know much about Autism Speaks or their intentions, it's just how I read the quoted text.

After reading it again I'll admit I misread it. It's that word "relief" it's been used so much by them in the wrong way that sometimes you go blind. So thanks Nuthatchnut you have relieved me of the [blind] status effect.(Final Fantasy reference!)

I'm curious though, what is their new mission then?

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
and Wisdom to know the difference."

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2017, 1:23 pm

AquaineBay wrote:
Nuthatchnut wrote:
AquaineBay wrote:

After reading it again I'll admit I misread it. It's that word "relief" it's been used so much by them in the wrong way that sometimes you go blind. So thanks Nuthatchnut you have relieved me of the [blind] status effect.(Final Fantasy reference!)

I'm curious though, what is their new mission then?

I'm curious as well :D . What exactly are they going to change?

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Voxish
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Aug 2017, 6:52 am

I think they have finally seen the writing on the wall form the neurodiverity movement. They look like dinosaurs and they know it. They are selling a brand, a brand that makes money and keeps people in jobs, well paid jobs in some cases. I would imagine they come to places like this from time to time too. They absolutely must know that there name is dirt amongst the community. They also know our voice is getting louder and louder.

BBC: Radio 4

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2017, 9:08 am

Voxish wrote:
I think they have finally seen the writing on the wall form the neurodiverity movement. They look like dinosaurs and they know it. They are selling a brand, a brand that makes money and keeps people in jobs, well paid jobs in some cases. I would imagine they come to places like this from time to time too. They absolutely must know that there name is dirt amongst the community. They also know our voice is getting louder and louder.

You bet it is! :D I hope they finally start listening to autistic people like us.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2017, 9:12 am

They probably won't......

Their basis for existence is that they supposedly provide "a voice" for autistic people---not realizing that autistic people can do it for themselves.

Voxish
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Aug 2017, 11:18 am

Ummm, don't know, money talks and these people listen....well to sound of cash registered at least.

BBC: Radio 4

CharityGoodyGrace
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2017, 5:13 am

That's why we all need to join ASAN; it needs a lot more people to take up the slack because I hear they're behind in their work lately, or rather, sidetracked by the Affordable Care Act being taken away... also, there's a new group called Nothing About Us Without Us being advertised in this part of the forums by I forget who; it's looking for writers if anyone is interested; I'm joining.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2017, 9:19 pm

CharityGoodyGrace wrote:
That's why we all need to join ASAN; it needs a lot more people to take up the slack because I hear they're behind in their work lately, or rather, sidetracked by the Affordable Care Act being taken away... also, there's a new group called Nothing About Us Without Us being advertised in this part of the forums by I forget who; it's looking for writers if anyone is interested; I'm joining.

I have read something here on that. I wish I could join :lol: !