If you get a new job, do you usually have to start next day?

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

DinoMongoosePenguin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Aug 2017, 11:58 pm

Normally, this wouldn't be an issue, but I have been planning on doing something next Friday and Saturday for a couple of months now. However, I got an interview for a job that I could well get that the interview is next Thursday. Assumed I was hired right away, would I be able to defer starting till the 14th or would that be seen as being uncooperative?

(BTW, the job isn't so dear to me ($9/hr and no benefits at all for 60 days and then only health benefits after that) that I wouldn't be willing to have them choose someone else if they were that demanding.)

I doubt it would be an issue as there is actually something on the form for the job asking if you have any possible events or things that could come up the next three months.

(BTW, the place is a call center, doesn't get too bad of reviews online, but the pay seems lower than even WalMart.)

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2017, 5:02 am

No, not normally.

It depends on the place -- I've interviewed for jobs and been told to "come in tomorrow" and I've also been given a start for the following Monday, or even later.

It's kind of doubtful that if you have this interview on a Thursday, and get the job, they will have you start Friday --- usually they will have you start on the Monday just to make a clean week of it. Only in very casual operations have I been told I could be wanted the very next day. First day is usually at the start of a new work week.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

07 Aug 2017, 5:29 am

They usually tell you when they want you to start. Which isn't usually as soon as the next day, as BirdInFlught pointed out.

You should be fine. But in any case if you aren't that desperate you may get something better / higher paying later.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

adoylelb90815
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Aug 2017, 12:17 am

Not normally, since most employers like to do a background check which takes longer than a day. Usually, if you're hired on the spot after an interview late in the work week, they have you start at the beginning of the next week. I've never had a job where you were expected to show up the next day to start working, but it's never been more than 2 weeks.

Britte
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2017, 1:11 am

Good luck with your interview. I wouldn't hesitate to mention, that you 'have a previously planned commitment that you would like to keep, on Friday and Saturday of next week' - in the event that you were to be hired, and they were to want you to start, immediately. But, only bring it into conversation, when the time is right. For instance, wait to see if they ask you the following, or similar question - 'If you were to be hired, would there be anything that would prevent you from working certain hours?' This would be the perfect opportunity to say, "No, however, I do have plans to be on vacation Friday and Saturday of next week'. This way, you will have all your cards laid out, on the table, as opposed to weighing on your mind, or trying to figure out how to tell them, after they have decided to hire you, and I certainly would not let the job take precedence over your planned event, due to the fact that the job isn't one of value to you, or, as you put it, 'dear' to you. : ) Just my 2 cents.

Tori0326
Toucan
Toucan

09 Aug 2017, 5:30 pm

I work in IT for a call center company. If that company is anything like ours then there are training classes that start on specific days and in most cases new hires are scheduled to start their class about 2 weeks after they are hired to give time for drug testing, background check, setting up email/network accounts, etc. I'd say you're pretty safe that it won't interfere with your vacation. Worst case scenario I'd say you had a previous obligation and leave it at that...for all they know it could be a doctor appointment or a funeral...not really their business at that point.

SixthTitan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Aug 2017, 9:55 am

It normally depends on the job,
When I've been hired i normally start in 2 weeks other times 4 weeks.
But these are very high up positions so you need more time to get paperwork and background checks done before hand.

You likely won't be hired on the spot unless you're interviewing for a really low end job.
Likely next week they'll have you start.

Sounds like you'll be on a 60-day probation period,
Best of luck!

DinoMongoosePenguin wrote:
Normally, this wouldn't be an issue, but I have been planning on doing something next Friday and Saturday for a couple of months now. However, I got an interview for a job that I could well get that the interview is next Thursday. Assumed I was hired right away, would I be able to defer starting till the 14th or would that be seen as being uncooperative?

(BTW, the job isn't so dear to me ($9/hr and no benefits at all for 60 days and then only health benefits after that) that I wouldn't be willing to have them choose someone else if they were that demanding.)

I doubt it would be an issue as there is actually something on the form for the job asking if you have any possible events or things that could come up the next three months.

(BTW, the place is a call center, doesn't get too bad of reviews online, but the pay seems lower than even WalMart.)

DinoMongoosePenguin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Aug 2017, 2:31 pm

I did get hired. Hope I don't lose Medicaid. I'd be making $9/hr and $9.25/hr after 60 days. I have no benefits whatsoever until 60 days and only discounted medical stuff after that. (So it would be better to keep Medicaid if I can.)

My fear is that I may make too much to get Medicaid but too little to get my meds (which allow me to get the job) without it. This thing could be less than 40 hours a week but does say full time.

Anyway, I've normally been very nervous about talking to people on the phones. The issue around here is that everything is either manual labor (which I'm not the best fit for (not in great shape but not in horrible shape either)) or direct face to face interaction a lot. This job is neither but does involve talking to people a lot. (BTW, it's not like I didn't apply for the other jobs, as I've got a list that was about 18 full pages long before I finally got hired, it's just that I didn't get hired at any and they weren't the ideal anyway.)

Yes, I do have training, which starts the 21st and goes I think for two weeks.

I did have to move a doctors appointment though which was on the 31st as it was in the middle of the training weeks.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

11 Aug 2017, 2:47 pm

Well done on getting hired. See how the training goes as that'll give you a good indication how well you'll handle the work and if it's suitable.

I don't know much about Medicaid as I'm not in the same country and have no idea how it works or what the benefit threshold is.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 8:21 am

Congrats on getting hired!

That is a concern, though, about falling into that crack with the Medicaid situation. That's very common for a lot of people, when they earn just that bit too much to qualify yet don't earn enough to afford the slack they will have to take up financially. I hope this doesn't happen that way for you in this case. Congrats again on the job though. :D

Britte
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 4:18 pm

Congratulations!

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2017, 2:52 pm

A typical "decent" employer will wait up to two weeks so you can provide your current employer notice. Some may need you to start "now" for legitimate reasons, but they'll be up-front about their need and still be willing to work with you.

Homer_Bob
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2017, 7:39 pm

Depends on the industry, type of job, or employer. If it's a contract/temp job, you most likely may be needed right away as those jobs are for filling positions in need quickly. But if it's for a more established company, it could take longer because they might not be able to start you until they to do a background check on you.

"The less I know about other people's affairs, the happier I am. I'm not interested in caring about people. I once worked with a guy for three years and never learned his name. The best friend I ever had. We still never talk sometimes."

Belushi87
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Sep 2017, 3:40 am

if you do get hired, chances are there is going to be paperwork for the employer to do and then there's training and orientation. that could take a couple days, sometimes a week for them to work out. its rare that they would have you come in the next day, unless they really need someone.