Will this cause problems for me in the future?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2017, 3:06 pm

If you want me to be honest with you I use Facebook under a false name/identity. I recently messaged an old friend/enemy on Facebook (we fell out in the past and he still doesn't like me to this day).

I messaged him asking questions via messenger about his profession which is basketball. He answered my questions however a week after our conversation on Facebook he messaged me back saying "heya why is your Facebook url called [email protected]? Brett is my second name but basically he caught me out.

I haven't seen my friend at my local bar for 2 years and apparently he is moved to London which is 35 miles always from where I live.

But still do you think the mistake I made on Facebook will cause me problems in the future? :( I think his parents still live down the road from me.

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2017, 3:27 pm

No!
You can call yourself whatever you want, as long as you're not up to something illegal. If I had a facebook account (which I'm not likely to) I'd use an assumed name. Just call it a nom de plume and it doesn't sound so bad... if challenged by the parents, just say "I was having a laugh and misjudged".

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2017, 3:53 pm

Trueno wrote:
No!
You can call yourself whatever you want, as long as you're not up to something illegal. If I had a facebook account (which I'm not likely to) I'd use an assumed name. Just call it a nom de plume and it doesn't sound so bad... if challenged by the parents, just say "I was having a laugh and misjudged".

What do you think my enemy was thinking when he found my true identity?

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2017, 7:51 pm

Sounds like it's time for you to move on with your life.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2017, 8:00 pm

the_phoenix wrote:

He might confront me if I see him again

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2017, 8:35 pm

Confront you about what?

You didn't try to hit up his girlfriend at the bar--did you?

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2017, 11:08 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Confront you about what?

You didn't try to hit up his girlfriend at the bar--did you?

No I didn't but he still might confront me over the Facebook incident

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2017, 11:26 am

Don't over think things here. He may just be asking you a question while perhaps not even thinking about any of the things that you did that he didn't like. I still would ask him, why do you ask?

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2017, 8:25 pm

1) Well, it's after the fact and all, but yeah, stalking an ex-friend who has become an enemy is a bad idea, messaging a toxic person is a bad idea, and especially if you use an alias to message him. You already know this, but there's a reason why I'm bringing it up ... because ...

... 2) ... it will definitely be a good idea for you to avoid seeing this person or running into him in the future. Especially if he's dangerous, for example if he can smear your reputation, or is physically violent.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 12:11 pm

the_phoenix wrote:
1) Well, it's after the fact and all, but yeah, stalking an ex-friend who has become an enemy is a bad idea, messaging a toxic person is a bad idea, and especially if you use an alias to message him. You already know this, but there's a reason why I'm bringing it up ... because ...

... 2) ... it will definitely be a good idea for you to avoid seeing this person or running into him in the future. Especially if he's dangerous, for example if he can smear your reputation, or is physically violent.

What should I do if I run into him and he confronts me? Not sure if he's a violent person or not?

I haven't seen him at my local pub since summer 2015 but it doesn't mean he will not return there again at some point right? He is friends with a lot of people I know who go there.