How have your music tastes evolved over time?

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2017, 9:22 pm

My music tastes have gone through quite an evolution since I really got into music in my teens.

I used to listen to mainly popular hard rock and nu metal such as Finger Eleven, Cold, Godsmack, and Sevendust but I also liked the classic rock my parents played around the house as well. I generally liked most well known rock bands, whether it was Nirvana or Metallica but I didn't like Limp Bizkit or Linkin Park. At school, kids either liked country or rap music, neither which I cared for.

Near the end of 2004, I started liking the NWOAHM bands like Killswitch Engage, Shadows Fall, Chimaira, Lamb of God, and Unearth. I guess it made me feel like I was on the cutting edge and that music was being marketed heavily at the time. However, I didn't like Atreyu or Avenged Sevenfold since they were derogatorily called "girl pants bands" and didn't want to be considered a "wuss".

In 2005, especially after doing guitar lessons and reading more music magazines, I discovered some 90's metal like Helmet, Prong, Corrosion of Conformity, and Fear Factory that I still hold a passion for these days. I also started losing interest in the hard rock and nu metal bands I used to like because they started to sound boring to me. I was also seeing elitist opinions on music forums and they were rubbing off on me.

During 2006, I became really enthralled by death metal for some reason and those kinds of bands started to replace the metalcore bands I used to like. Eventually that music took a toll on my ears as well as my spirit (I have clinical depression and it was particularly rough during that period) but I do still hold a lot of respect for Napalm Death, Amorphis, Paradise Lost, and My Dying Bride. While that sort of music did occupy a huge portion of my tastes, I did listen to bands like Mastodon, Clutch, Bad Religion, Godflesh, Melvins, Type O Negative, and Ministry so I started to look up like minded bands and realized they were really what I wanted to hear more of. Swans really opened a door for me in that I realized I was more impressed by rhythms that sounded like they could last forever instead of trying to jam millions of parts into a song. I also started listening to the 90's bands again and discovered more that I either ignored or didn't hear of before.

Lately I've been adding a lot of electronica into my palette such as Meat Beat Manifesto, KMFDM, Aphex Twin, and Moby.

So what's your journey been like?

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2017, 9:48 am

Children's music and pop in my earliest years, rap around the time I was going to elementary, metal in my early teens, which has continued to this day with the addition of several other genres I've grown fond of along the way.

That's it in a nutshell.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2017, 9:12 pm

Well I remember I enjoyed rock and what little metal I heard as a kid(that would mostly be like Black Sabbath) and classic rock type stuff. Then around 12 I was really into Enya and can't really remember what else I listened to aside from the soundtrack for Lord of the Rings and Pirates of the Caribbean. Then I got hardcore into Pink Floyd around 14, it was an obsession, and almost all I listened to for a couple years. Then in hanging out with my cousin I heard some metal and kinda liked it, but also didn't think my mom would approve so kind of just would listen with her. Then between 14 and 16 I also got into The White Stripes, The Killers, My Chemical Romance, AFI, Evenencense, Creed ect. and I guess what was kind of marketed as darker rock music in later 90's can't honestly remember everything...I mean I gotta cringe a little especially about the My Chemical Romance.

Then around 16-17 I heard Iron Maidens song Number of the Beast as the video came on, it was either VH1 or MTV had a thing where they'd play metal music videos of the 80's and earlier. But yeah it was that moment I think when I became a metalhead...I was like 'This is freaking amazing I need more of this.' So that is when I started really looking into metal more than just having a CD burned copy of a couple Cradle of Filth albums my cousin gave me and a System of a Down album my mom confiscated from my sister which I had taken because I found where she hid it. I remember Dimmu Borgir and Children of Bodom where a couple of the first bands I got into aside from Iron Maiden. From there it expanded to now where I pretty much enjoy something from all the sub-genres...I tend to switch between listening to different sub-genres.

For instance recently I was listening to a bunch of Folk Metal, just all of it I could find and related projects like the vocalist of korpiklaani has a solo project called Jonne(his name) which is more just folk than metal. But then I got a little burnt out on that so now I've been listening to a lot of Power Metal, I remember a while back really enjoying a band called Rhapsody of Fire...so have been seeking out more stuff like that. Even actually gave Dragonforce a chance when in the past I talked crap on how they just play power metal really fast, but yeah I think I was a bit wrong on that...a lot of their stuff is pretty good. But yeah I also like thrash metal, black metal, doom metal, viking metal, blackened death metal, some death metal(actually probably the sub-genre I have the least amount of favorite bands in, it helps if its death/doom) and well really all the types of metal. But whatever kinds of metal I listen to most switches randomly...I'll get a little bored of one sort and have to switch it up.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2017, 11:42 pm

I liked Dimmu Borgir and Cradle of Filth for a brief period. I think it was because my older brother and his friends liked them and I wanted to be in good spirits with them but it ended up being an unproductive endeavor. I liked Children of Bodom until the Are You Dead Yet? and Blooddrunk albums came out and the depression made me lose interest in them. It came back when Halo of Blood came out and I listened to I Worship Chaos maybe one or two times before depression made me lose interest in them again. I don't know if it will come back or not.

Oddly, my older brother used to listen to bands like Dimmu Borgir, Cradle of Filth, Children of Bodom, Dragon Force, and this one extremely heavy song by a band I can't remember and now just listens to crap like Toby Keith. He's the one who kicks up a fuss about Christianity the most in the family and complained how our parents didn't try to be more diligent in teaching us about it but back when he was younger, he spent more time skateboarding and listening to skater music instead of going to bible studies. :roll: He even mocked someone who asked him if Slayer was a Christian band; in hindsight, it's hilarious considering Tom Araya's a Catholic and all!

I never seriously listened to White Stripes. I was comfort zoned by the then current hard rock and nu metal bands and elitists got pissed that Jack White was rated so highly in Rolling Stone so I thought I was supposed to hate them. My Chemical Romance I never liked at all because they were considered a "girl pants band" by elitists and they also got the "emo" label. Unfortunately, those same elitists said bands who were actually good like the Yeah Yeah Yeahs sucked.

I also find that certain albums that fans hate by bands they love are actually pretty damn good. King's X fans tend to think everything post-Dogman sucks but that is not true. Tape Head has some of their best hooks and Manic Moonlight has some really introspective songs like Skeptical Winds. I also think Napalm Death's post-Utopia Banished albums are their best due to their unconventional approaches. Bad Religion's The Gray Race and No Substance do not deserve the flack they get at all. They have meaty guitar tones and some of the band's most creative and inspired song structures.

SnailHail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Aug 2017, 9:28 am

Most of what I listened to during my pre-teen to mid teen years was anime/cartoon and videogame soundtracks. I did consider Linkin Park my favorite band for a while but I lost interest in them. I also dabbled with Evanescence a little. I did listen to some Gorillaz when Feel Good Inc first dropped out and was huge. So in a word aside from anime/cartoons and videogames a good chunk of music I listened was the type you'd hear in AMVs. Around 2013 I started getting into Archive but didn't listen to much beyond about 1 or two songs on Controlling Crowds and Londinium. In 2012 - 2014 when Dubstep was huge electronic music was trending like crazy for high school age kids so I listened to some singles from several different EDM artist like Netsky and got into bands like The Infected Mushrooms whom I thought made a pretty cool cover of Foo Fighter's song "The Pretender". Around 2015 I start developing a taste for glitch hop, electro swing and electronic music made by Japanese artist.

Near the end of 2015 I start developing taste in trip hop after listening to more Archive songs. I also wanted to expand my metal collection so I found bands like Demon Hunter, Becoming The Archetype, Dream Theater, Opeth, Epica, Lucas Turili's Rhapsody and several other melodic/symphonic/gothic/progressive/trance/etc types of metal bands. My most recent and favorite discovery right now is Diablo Swing Orchestra which combines swing with metal and rock.

My taste in trip hop and related genres is my primary taste right now. I discovered many bands like Unkle, Sneaker Pimps, Tricky, Massive Attack, Earthling, Morcheeba, Bowery Electric, Cibo Matto, and etc. These bands also dabbled in some other genres like Progressive Rock and dreampop so I got into those too.These artist also like to mix in some other music genres like rap which I use to hate before.

The Cat Ghost
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Aug 2017, 12:06 pm

As a child: Raffi, Simon and Garfunkel, Sharon Lois and Bram
As a young kid: Elvis, Bruce Springsteen, Beethoven, Mozart, and Vivaldi

As a teen I got into pop punk ala Ramones, so bands like Screeching Weasel and The Riverdales and anything good to skateboard to like Rage Against the Machine, Nirvana, NOFX, and other 90s alt. In High School, I expanded my tastes a bit more to include more weird noisy rock like Wilco, The Walkmen, The Strokes, and a bunch of local bands. In my late 20s I worked as the head engineer at a local recording studio and that really opened me up to a whole bunch of styles so to this day I will listen to pretty much any type of music as long as it isn't top40 style music, which never appealed to me at all.

My favourite bands currently and from days passed: The Walkmen, The Unicorns, King Crimson, Between the Buried and Me, Ray Charles, The Tallest Man on Earth, Weezer's first three albums, Run the Jewels, The Blood Brothers, and Refused.

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2017, 2:51 pm

Not really but I have gotten into different bands and artists along with what I have enjoyed since my preteen/late teen years.

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2017, 3:34 pm

Marknis wrote:
I liked Dimmu Borgir and Cradle of Filth for a brief period. I think it was because my older brother and his friends liked them and I wanted to be in good spirits with them but it ended up being an unproductive endeavor. I liked Children of Bodom until the Are You Dead Yet? and Blooddrunk albums came out and the depression made me lose interest in them. It came back when Halo of Blood came out and I listened to I Worship Chaos maybe one or two times before depression made me lose interest in them again. I don't know if it will come back or not.

Oddly, my older brother used to listen to bands like Dimmu Borgir, Cradle of Filth, Children of Bodom, Dragon Force, and this one extremely heavy song by a band I can't remember and now just listens to crap like Toby Keith. He's the one who kicks up a fuss about Christianity the most in the family and complained how our parents didn't try to be more diligent in teaching us about it but back when he was younger, he spent more time skateboarding and listening to skater music instead of going to bible studies. :roll: He even mocked someone who asked him if Slayer was a Christian band; in hindsight, it's hilarious considering Tom Araya's a Catholic and all!

I never seriously listened to White Stripes. I was comfort zoned by the then current hard rock and nu metal bands and elitists got pissed that Jack White was rated so highly in Rolling Stone so I thought I was supposed to hate them. My Chemical Romance I never liked at all because they were considered a "girl pants band" by elitists and they also got the "emo" label. Unfortunately, those same elitists said bands who were actually good like the Yeah Yeah Yeahs sucked.

I also find that certain albums that fans hate by bands they love are actually pretty damn good. King's X fans tend to think everything post-Dogman sucks but that is not true. Tape Head has some of their best hooks and Manic Moonlight has some really introspective songs like Skeptical Winds. I also think Napalm Death's post-Utopia Banished albums are their best due to their unconventional approaches. Bad Religion's The Gray Race and No Substance do not deserve the flack they get at all. They have meaty guitar tones and some of the band's most creative and inspired song structures.

One of my family members listens to dubstep and stuff like that. We don't like the same music which is good because he was paranoid that I'd listen to EDM. In my opinion his stuff sounds like "Bro" music. Like, bros who play Call of Duty and shout, "That's epic, dude!" While playing it.

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2017, 5:29 pm

xxZeromancerlovexx wrote:
Marknis wrote:

One of my family members listens to dubstep and stuff like that. We don't like the same music which is good because he was paranoid that I'd listen to EDM. In my opinion his stuff sounds like "Bro" music. Like, bros who play Call of Duty and shout, "That's epic, dude!" While playing it.

My guitar teacher and I call that stuff "Fort Hood Metal" (If you lived in the Central Texas area, you'd understand). Machismo drenched and loud songs that sound big but are in reality as deep as a puddle when you really break them down. The themes are generally "f**k yeah, dude! We'll kick your ass!" and musically the bands rely too much on distortion and downtunings as crutches to sound intense. I like plenty of bands who play downtuned but they can usually play more than just the low E string. But overall, it's the macho aspect of "Fort Hood Metal" also puts a bad taste in my mouth. They often dress and carry themselves like the dude bros who terrorized me.

SnailHail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Aug 2017, 12:01 am

xxZeromancerlovexx wrote:
Marknis wrote:

Well the type of dubstep you're talking about is probably brostep which is what people like your bro listen to. It is hardly like dub nor contains actual dub elements.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2017, 12:34 am

It took me a while I think to develop a sense of Music Appreciation. This is mostly because I grew up in a small town with the local radio stations playing standard Rock or Top 40.

Randomly of all things, what nabbed my attention on MTV was Peter Gabriel with his very experimental videos for Sledgehammer and BIG TIME. At the time, these seemed like a more visual experience by far to me than what other performers were doing and I did start appreciating his music and bought his Cassettes for the album SO. Later on, he impressed me with the videos for Steam and Digging in the Dirt and I bought US on CD.

My music tastes expanded sort of toward alternative Rock / Industrial bands as some people I knew got me to listen to KMFDM.

Some years later, I happened to be watching a feed from MTV2 and saw All is Full of Love by Björk. Again like Peter Gabriel, this was very striking to me visually and I had never heard electronic music like this before. I found other tracks from her like Joga which fascinated me hearing stringed instruments used that way to accompany pop or electronic music.

This lead me in search of other similar artists and then I discovered Goldfrapp, Hooverphonic, and Ladytron

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

26 Oct 2017, 11:57 pm

As a teen I mostly listened to rock & pop & hated country. I started listening to country more in my early 20s because they played it at work & I started to like it. Pop started going more rap & country started going more pop. I also started listening to comedy music because I was able to find it online Thanx to the net(I didn't have net till after I graduated high-skewl). The only comedy music I really heard before was Weird Al Yankovic which I did like alot. I also started finding Celtic online which I haven't really heard before & like it

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2017, 9:43 am

Until maybe 2nd or 3rd grade I was pretty old fashion and my parents raised me on classical, some oldies, and I had neighbors listening to very traditional up-beat country.

When I moved across state I had a friend whose 18 year old sister was a big fan of stuff like Def Leppard, Poison, Guns & Roses, etc.. I got into that, also had an older cousin who was a skater who I looked up to in a big way and from him I mostly drew - Faith No More, Metallica, Jane's Addiction, Red Hot Chili Peppers, was listening to Alice in Chains by 7th grade and had most of Suicidal Tendencies tapes and albums by 8th and 9th grade.

After that I took a more of a turn toward deeper/darker content with Ministry, Tool, late 80's and early 90's Skinny Puppy - that was late highschool.

After that - senior year I got introduced to dark techstep drum n bass and was like "Where's this genre been all my life?". Love at first hear of that, also loved me some nosebleed techno, the Swedish stuff but also UK (especially the London acid techno - Chris Liberator, Dave the Drummer, etc..), and while I liked trance I found that I was too picky to get into it too far. It might help to note that not only were most of my friends dj's at that point but they were rave promoters and were not only throwing their own small parties locally but were also canvasing flyers for larger promoters like Element Squat (ie. Nick Dunlop - later Johnny Knoxville's booking agent) and Destiny Productions, famous for their World Electronic Music Festivals.

All of that also lead me back down the other side into hip-hop in my mid 20's, and I've noticed that's a super-common thing with a lot of people - for instance I had cousins who were strictly hip-hop in gradeschool through highschool and ended up only listening to rock music or punk in their 20's and other people who only listened to rock-related genres through school but got into hip-hop in their 20's. I think for me it was a lot of the choice-cuts of hip hop that drum n bass was laden with that helped turn me on to it.

I still listen to a little bit of all of it, though TBH most of what I listen to these days is from dnb producers who've gone in the genre-fusion routes and are experimenting with a thick/chunky 80's techno or half-tempo (hip-hop) speed, or simply gutting their beats to make their structures really ambiguous to bpm. My connection with music has always been of the mood-mystic variety and I'm never more switched on than when they're going out beyond what typically seems to be the everyday human emotional and conceptual pallet (particularly when they're doing that in transcendental ways). I still go back to rock/alternative, hip hop, and industrial on a somewhat regular basis both new and old but yeah, it's the more creative and spiritual-masculine electronic that usually sets me off and stays in rotation.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

LegoMaster2149
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2017, 10:36 am

I used to listen to mostly a lot of Michael Jackson and some dubstep. Then later on I started listening to oldies music, then eventually I got into acid house music, then house, and then later I got into old rap and old hip hop, and other genres like electro, breakbeat, big beat, etc. while still staying in the era of the 70s, 80s and 90s.

-LegoMaster2149 (Written on October 27, 2017)

crystaltermination
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2017, 9:05 am

When I first started taking notice of music pre-teens, and by extension other preferences like style, I don't think what I liked at the start were really my 'choices' as much as they were my older sister's choices. I'd listen to her music, covet her clothes (and when she wasn't around wear them and steal all her makeup!) My sister is and likely always will be a metalhead, with an additional love of some lighter alternative stuff... and I sort of inherited a respect for these genres from her.
By mid-teens I'd moved away a little from just loving anything she loved however, and my music tastes started running into trance, industrial and electronic stuff. At that point my favourite bands became The Prodigy and Nine Inch Nails. Throughout this period I also grew to love soundtracks and became a major fan of Hans Zimmer and James Horner.
I think overall - though I may have started out copying my sister's music tastes, I will always enjoy a decent amount of metal with an emphasis on doom metal like My Dying Bride, another old favourite, but nowadays my taste in music is very broad indeed.

AlanMooresBeard
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Oct 2017, 2:17 pm

I started getting into music when I was 12. I became really obsessed with 80s pop for a year and bought stuff like Tears For Fears and Duran Duran on vinyl (years before vinyl became fashionable again!). That tailed off almost as fast as it developed and I wasn't into anything musically for a while. Then, in 2000 when I turned 14, I remember seeing Iron Maiden on TV performing their comeback single, The Wicker Man, and I thought "These guys sound cool." I bought the single and I then started to read up on hard rock and metal music. My family had just got internet access and it was my research online that really helped to develop my interest in this kind of music. I started off with bands like Metallica, Guns 'N' Roses, Marilyn Manson and Megadeth and by the following year, I got into heavier stuff like Slayer, Pantera and Machine Head. When I turned 16, I began exploring more extreme bands like Morbid Angel, Death and more extreme thrash like Kreator and Dark Angel. By this point, I was a full-on metalhead who hated the nu-metal and alternative rock that was being promoted by the media and the internet helped me to follow my own path.

Over the next few years, I got into more contemporary bands like Opeth, Lamb Of God and Mastodon as well as really getting into classic bands like Black Sabbath and Judas Priest. I also really got into live music in a big way and that's something I've maintained as a hobby to this day. It wasn't until 2006 that I began looking at other types of music. This was the point where I got into Nick Cave, Tom Waits, PJ Harvey, Rush and Alice In Chains among others. I became very interested in jazz in 2008 and I bought albums by people like Miles Davis, John Coltrane and Herbie Hancock. More recently, I've become a fan of classic rock artists such as The Who and Neil Young along with bands I overlooked when I was younger like Rammstein and The Cure. Throughout all this, my interest in metal has never waned. Today, I mainly focus on metal but I also like selected artists from the indie, punk, prog, jazz and dream pop genres.