Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

SecretAgent
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Aug 2017, 4:04 am

I'm writing a story where one of the plot points is that a character needs to get a message out to all other parallel universes, and certain people need to see it. But I can't for the life of me figure out how that could work! (By the way, this isn't like a futuristic Star Trek type story, but more like normal people in real life, with a few oddities.) Any ideas? :alien:

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2017, 5:06 am

If you're not writing what is considered "hard" sci-fi, then you don't have to be constrained by the laws of physics... much easier in my opinion. If I was doing it, I'd maybe have something like the character finding an old fashioned radio... it starts making funny noises in the middle of night and the character discovers it can communicate with other universes. It depends on the rules you set for your story... is it a world where "magic" can happen?
I've recently started reading the "long earth" series of books by Stephen Baxter and Terry Pratchett... someone puts up the plans for a little gadget on the internet, so people can make this little device to flip over to other universes, and it's powered by a potato. Just let your imagination go.
... and good luck with writing the story.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

SecretAgent

10 Aug 2017, 12:31 am

Trueno wrote:
If you're not writing what is considered "hard" sci-fi, then you don't have to be constrained by the laws of physics... much easier in my opinion. If I was doing it, I'd maybe have something like the character finding an old fashioned radio... it starts making funny noises in the middle of night and the character discovers it can communicate with other universes. It depends on the rules you set for your story... is it a world where "magic" can happen?
I've recently started reading the "long earth" series of books by Stephen Baxter and Terry Pratchett... someone puts up the plans for a little gadget on the internet, so people can make this little device to flip over to other universes, and it's powered by a potato. Just let your imagination go.
... and good luck with writing the story.

Thanks so much! That's a very good point. I tend to overthink things way too often lol.

1Biggles1
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2017, 12:35 am

one could create a device for a temporary worm hole that allows inter dimensional transmissions? Via microwave or some sort of photonic energy source?

SecretAgent

10 Aug 2017, 2:01 am

1Biggles1 wrote:
one could create a device for a temporary worm hole that allows inter dimensional transmissions? Via microwave or some sort of photonic energy source?

Microwave wormhole, fascinating! And I guess you'd know all about that, judging by your location. 8)

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2017, 2:06 am

Wormholes... always good.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

1Biggles1
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2017, 2:10 am

^^ lol, yup, cosmic radiation is somewhat of an issue here! :)

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2017, 7:30 am

There's always good old "quantum"... specifically, quantum entanglement across world lines in the Many Worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics. Which almost sounds like real science!

If the parallel universes have some of the same people in them, there could be some process that puts people "in tune" with their entangled alternative-universe selves, allowing them to share information. If the reciever both tells people in their own universe and passes it on to a third universe, you've got a pan-dimensional chain letter. Might be a bit cumbersome for what you need, though.

SecretAgent

11 Aug 2017, 11:15 pm

PhosphorusDecree wrote:
There's always good old "quantum"... specifically, quantum entanglement across world lines in the Many Worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics. Which almost sounds like real science!

If the parallel universes have some of the same people in them, there could be some process that puts people "in tune" with their entangled alternative-universe selves, allowing them to share information. If the reciever both tells people in their own universe and passes it on to a third universe, you've got a pan-dimensional chain letter. Might be a bit cumbersome for what you need, though.

That's super cool. :D Quantum stuff could be the key here, thanks!