Page 5 of 8 [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

soloha
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Aug 2017, 2:34 pm

seaweed wrote:
ah.
when i read "pies" i immediately think that they must be whole pies to count as a pie.
it makes sense that they could still be considered pies in fractions.
a piece of pie is still a pie. even if it is the smallest crumb of pie? it is a pie.
That was exactly what my problem was. I'm not alone. Thank you. This topic has turned out to be pretty interesting because of the different ways in which people perceived the problem. My initial thinking was that people would either get it right or if they had a problem with it, it would be the same problem I had. Theory of Mind for you

Last edited by soloha on 09 Aug 2017, 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2017, 2:39 pm

Yeah...I guess there is more than one way that you could...slice it! :D

soloha
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Aug 2017, 2:44 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
seaweed wrote:
ah.
when i read "pies" i immediately think that they must be whole pies to count as a pie.
a piece of pie is still a pie. even if it is the smallest crumb of pie? it is a pie.

Well... no.

"Half of a pie" is just half of a pie. But its still a viable desert.
In theory a baker could sell you half of a pie (or one 12th slice of pie) for less than the price of a whole pie.

In contrast if you chop a car in two neither half would be drivable. So a car dealership couldn't sell you a "half car" (even if you couldn't afford a whole car).

You've inspired me. I have a new question. If Bob has 99 pies, and Alex has half of Bob's pies, how many deserts does Alex have?

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2017, 2:45 pm

soloha wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
seaweed wrote:
ah.

Well... no.

In theory a baker could sell you half of a pie (or one 12th slice of pie) for less than the price of a whole pie.

In contrast if you chop a car in two neither half would be drivable. So a car dealership couldn't sell you a "half car" (even if you couldn't afford a whole car).

You've inspired me. I have a new question. If Bob has 99 pies, and Alex has half of Bob's pies, how many deserts does Alex have?

Why does Bob have so many pies anyway? Does he have some kind of pie business going on? :D

Last edited by Lost_dragon on 09 Aug 2017, 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

seaweed
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2017, 2:45 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
seaweed wrote:
ah.

Well... no.

oh no, you've brought the real world back.
now i'm confused again.

but still a crumb of pie is still a viable dessert, albeit unsatisfying.
if alex has 100.1 pies and bob has half as many, wouldn't bob have 50.05 pies?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2017, 2:49 pm

Exactly.

Fifty whole pies, and one of 20 equal slices of another pie.

seaweed
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2017, 2:51 pm

soloha wrote:
seaweed wrote:
ah.
That was exactly what my problem was. I'm not alone. Thank you. This topic has turned out to be pretty interesting because of the different ways in which people perceived the problem. My initial thinking was that people would either get it right or if they had a problem with it, it would be the same problem I had. Theory of Mind for you

it might be a language problem more than anything. in math speak we are expected to know that pies can be cut into fractions. in dessert speak, a pie is a whole pie. if it is cut up then it is a piece of pie.

seaweed
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2017, 2:55 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Exactly.

what if bob just wants extra turbos for one of his cars 8O

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2017, 2:55 pm

seaweed wrote:
soloha wrote:
seaweed wrote:
ah.

it might be a language problem more than anything. in math speak we are expected to know that pies can be cut into fractions. in dessert speak, a pie is a whole pie. if it is cut up then it is a piece of pie.

But not such a "piece of pie" to answer the question, haha.

seaweed
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2017, 2:58 pm

Lost_dragon wrote:

nooooooooooooooooooooo :lmao:

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2017, 3:08 pm

seaweed wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Exactly.

what if bob just wants extra turbos for one of his cars 8O

Was afraid that you were go there. About spare parts.

Bob could be a gearhead who traffics in spare parts instead of a typical driver looking for transportation. So in that situation conceivably you could talk about a dealership selling fractional cars. But that's just it. you're then not dealing with cars as cars, but with cars as scrap, or as a collections of spare parts.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2017, 3:12 pm

soloha wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
seaweed wrote:
ah.

Well... no.

Fifty deserts.

Carol could buy all of Alex's pies, and then slice each one into six slices to resell individually. And she would then have 594 desserts.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2017, 3:15 pm

seaweed wrote:
Lost_dragon wrote:

Sorry, just had to make that joke. :D

seaweed
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2017, 3:19 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Was afraid that you were go there. About spare parts.

Bob could be a gearhead who traffics in spare parts instead of a typical driver looking for transportation. So in that situation conceivably you could talk about a dealership selling fractional cars. But that's just it. you're then not dealing with cars as cars, but with cars as scrap, or as a collections of spare parts.

so the word problem problem could be mitigated by saying that bob is a gearhead or alex has pieces of pie for sale, and he'll even sell you a crumb for a penny.

seaweed
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2017, 3:20 pm

Lost_dragon wrote:
seaweed wrote:
Lost_dragon wrote:

Sorry, just had to make that joke. :D

somebody had to :D

davidkaltsas
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Aug 2017, 3:20 pm

49,5. I don't understand the problem