Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

bohemianrose
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Aug 2017, 1:36 pm

I am a 55 year old woman. I have always struggled to maintain friendships. It takes a long time for me to get to know someone and when I do, I love them very much. I make fast friends with other non-neurotypicals. I've never had more than 5 good friends at a time, often 1 or 2. I get extremely attached and mourn the loss of even 1 friend. Sadly some of my friends in early adulthood became drug users. I stopped associating with them. My mid life friends were great. I had 4. However, 1 died, 1 became terminally ill, 2 moved out of state. I have no one to talk to. No one ever hugs me. I am really lonely and sad. I have a few issues that further isolate me; (ASD), spine arthritis, and single parenting of an ASD child. I don't meet others at work as I am disabled. I did not bond with other parents because both kids and parents can be really judgemental. I have frequent down times with the spine issue. It was easier when I was younger because I could participate in group activities, like making art or dancing.

I am not a church goer, have physical limitations and am very shy.
I would love to know how other people cope with isolation, or loneliness.
Thank you

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2017, 9:08 pm

Hey there. I can say hello; haven't got a fix to offer, though. But, yes, do understand the general concept. Loss of ability to work, loss of marriage, do change the social interaction landscape. Am still working on finding answers for me in my situation.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2017, 8:42 pm

how do i cope with isolation and loneliness?

badly.

don't know about "other people".

and wrong planet helps a lot.

torch_
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Aug 2017, 3:13 am

You may have already tried it, but have you tried meetup.com and see what's in your area? You can even create your own group if you haven't tried already.

221B
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

03 Sep 2017, 1:37 pm

i'm 26 and i can't cope with loneliness. when i'm engaging in my interests, i'm fine. i even dont want anybody to bother me. but when what i call "loneliness attacks" hit, i desperately need someone to connect; someone honest and sincere, someone interested in me and im interested in, someone who won't hurt me. i feel very uneasy during these "attacks". everything seems gloomy and i just want to die.
i only have 2 internet friends and i dont feel very close with them either. there's always this distance between others and i that won't disappear. i feel terribly lonely right now. i wish i had someone with whom i could be as close as i am with myself, someone i could speak to without trying not to hurt them or say the right things.
do you have any family members you can spend time with? maybe it helps in your situation.

sunnyoneday
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Sep 2017, 6:53 am

I am married but still feel lonely at times. My best friend and another friend passed away many years ago. I have sisters I message from time to time. I don't know if you like animals but I find that having a pet greatly soothes lonliness.

I get what you mean about desiring honest and sincere company. I can't be bothered with fake and phony people. I find real people are in short supply.

Nay
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Sep 2017, 6:07 pm

Hi, I'm Nay if your lonely pm me and i will respond when I'm online.

Kind Regards, Nay.