Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

SilverBoltsisWmax
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Aug 2017, 9:14 am

SixthTitan wrote:
Okay,

So I just came back from Star Bucks and got a drink on their double star today and when the guy gave me my mocha, he said "here you go dude."

I really don't understand why some guys call girls dude, is it some kind of new hip word like guys?

This happened to me before to at college, some of the guys i hung out with just casually would say things like "whats up dude?", "sweet dude." or "yo dude"..

Personally, i feel like if they're gonna call us dude, then we should call them gals.

So....
Whats up with that gal?

Lol, I work there and I can honestly tell you it's not to be offensive. A lot of people there have turned their brains off and say the most common casual thing in order to to be fast and quick. Dude in no way means they think of you as a guy but it is in fact a hip word like you said. I say it sometimes to my best friends like dude wtf are you doing? And that's to girls. It's just one of those weird words that can mean both sexes I guess. Primarily one but can include the other, does that make sense?

SixthTitan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Aug 2017, 8:31 am

Thank you Silver,

I just didn't understand the underlying meaning of it.

Thanks everyone for your comments, I did not assume they were using the word dude for gender but it just is a word that not a lot of people say in the East coast or at least where I am so it had caught me off guard hearing it.

SilverBoltsisWmax wrote:
SixthTitan wrote:
Okay,

So I just came back from Star Bucks and got a drink on their double star today and when the guy gave me my mocha, he said "here you go dude."

I really don't understand why some guys call girls dude, is it some kind of new hip word like guys?

This happened to me before to at college, some of the guys i hung out with just casually would say things like "whats up dude?", "sweet dude." or "yo dude"..

Personally, i feel like if they're gonna call us dude, then we should call them gals.

So....
Whats up with that gal?

Lol, I work there and I can honestly tell you it's not to be offensive. A lot of people there have turned their brains off and say the most common casual thing in order to to be fast and quick. Dude in no way means they think of you as a guy but it is in fact a hip word like you said. I say it sometimes to my best friends like dude wtf are you doing? And that's to girls. It's just one of those weird words that can mean both sexes I guess. Primarily one but can include the other, does that make sense?

Kiki1256
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2017, 9:55 pm

I'm in college, so pretty much all the guys, and even some girls, say "dude" all the time. For some people it's a filler words, just like "like" or "you know"

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2017, 2:54 am

I’ve been called dude by guys before and I am not going to lie, I found it strange.

rio76
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

11 Nov 2017, 5:28 am

sometimes i say "you guys" when addressing a group of girlfriends. no big deal, i reckon. maybe the guy calling you "dude" was just trying to be friendly. "dude" is probably a substitute word for "pal"

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2017, 9:06 pm

I'm in NYC....Dude generally means "buddy" amongst young guys.....but can refer to young women, too.

When I was a kid in the 1970s, it was only used among black guys. A black woman would have been deeply insulted had she been called a "dude."

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2017, 11:25 pm

Well I doubt they mean any offense, its not a gender specific term actually.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2017, 11:38 pm

Kiki1256 wrote:
I'm in college, so pretty much all the guys, and even some girls, say "dude" all the time. For some people it's a filler words, just like "like" or "you know"

Stop acting so stereotypical college students! :lol:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2017, 10:47 am

"Dudette" is very rare, indeed.....though I've heard it used.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2017, 12:21 pm

I used to hear "dudette" sometimes during the Awesome 80's and Nasty 90's, but it sounds even dumber than "dude". It makes me think of Ninja Turtles and stoner hippies and junk. :lol:

Where I live however, it's still common for people serving you, mostly women my age or older, to say "here you are, dear", or even "sweetheart". They say that to be friendly, not creepy or anything. But naturally people who live elsewhere and aren't aware of our culture want to smack the person in the face with a harassment suit. :roll:

krustykrabpunx
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

17 Jan 2018, 6:50 pm

It's definitely a thing. A lot of girls/non-binary people at my college call each other "dude", or "man", or "my dude." More often than not, it started out as a joke and then just became a widely-shared habit for us. It's pretty harmless and it's being reclaimed more as a gender-neutral term, although there have certainly been times where that has backfired on me. I once accidentally called my mom "dude" while we were at a yard sale. It wasn't a big deal, but she was definitely annoyed. There was another not-too-serious incident where I was having a discussion online with a transgender woman and I said something like "yeah, man!" without thinking about how that could be perceived by her. She requested that I didn't call her "man", I apologized to her and clarified that I didn't mean to come off as invalidating her identity in any way, she understood, and we moved on. Again, the word is harmless and silly, but I definitely can see why women (trans and non-trans) don't like being called it.

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2018, 4:44 am

Yesterday I got called "mate".
I think that's basically the Australian for "dude".
This tends to happen if I'm looking a bit masculine, sometimes people aren't sure of my gender, and it's a catch-all term of address. This was a male colleague who knows me, but I guess he might think me trans or butch and was including me in the men's club, which is fine, it's friendly.
I may be wrong but I don't think men say "mate" to women who are looking feminine in high heels and dresses. I suppose "dude" is similar: women can say it to women friends in fun, but for a man to say it to a woman probably indicates gender ambiguity.

CloudClimber
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2018, 4:48 am

karathraceandherspecialdestiny wrote:
seaweed wrote:
i like it.
dude is a word for people. friends.
dudette was invented because people got weirded out by dude and figured it must be masculine because of it's history and the structure of language. but it can be for anybody as i've noticed, and maybe that is a newer thing.
language is weird.
dudette never caught on. for this i am glad my dude.
dude is cool because it doesn't have to be gender specific.

I call everyone dude. I call my cats dude. Even the female one. :)

Same here. Generic/neutral term for whoever you're talking to. Dudette is lame and shouldn't exist :lol:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2018, 11:40 am

I've only heard "dudette" a few times. And that was quite a long time ago.

I still don't notice any women being referred to as "dude," except amongst friends.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2018, 1:03 pm

Actually, "dude" used to originally mean someone from the city who doesn't know about cowboy stuff while visiting a ranch. That's where the term "dude ranch" came from. :)

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2018, 7:45 pm

^ That's why old people don't like it when you call them dude. I remember seeing this Youtube video about these 13 year olds who were harassing a middle aged cop. He said "Don't call me dude. A dude is someone on a ranch".