Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

SixthTitan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Aug 2017, 2:07 pm

Okay,

So I just came back from Star Bucks and got a drink on their double star today and when the guy gave me my mocha, he said "here you go dude."

I really don't understand why some guys call girls dude, is it some kind of new hip word like guys?

This happened to me before to at college, some of the guys i hung out with just casually would say things like "whats up dude?", "sweet dude." or "yo dude"..

Personally, i feel like if they're gonna call us dude, then we should call them gals.

So....
Whats up with that gal?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2017, 2:53 pm

I think guys do it to show a sort of solidarity with women----like we're all human.

I would never call a woman a "dude."

I don't call anybody "dude," actually LOL. I'm from the "guys and gals" generation :wink:

I see where you're coming from, though.

seaweed
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2017, 3:11 pm

i like it.
dude is a word for people. friends.
dudette was invented because people got weirded out by dude and figured it must be masculine because of it's history and the structure of language. but it can be for anybody as i've noticed, and maybe that is a newer thing.
language is weird.
dudette never caught on. for this i am glad my dude.
dude is cool because it doesn't have to be gender specific.

karathraceandherspecialdestiny
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2017, 5:10 pm

seaweed wrote:
i like it.
dude is a word for people. friends.
dudette was invented because people got weirded out by dude and figured it must be masculine because of it's history and the structure of language. but it can be for anybody as i've noticed, and maybe that is a newer thing.
language is weird.
dudette never caught on. for this i am glad my dude.
dude is cool because it doesn't have to be gender specific.

I call everyone dude. I call my cats dude. Even the female one. :)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2017, 5:59 pm

I would say that the meaning of "dude" very much depends upon the generation of the people uttering it.

Before my time, believe it or not, it meant something like "greenhorn" or "naïve." "Dude ranches" were primarily for city people who didn't know, say, how to ride a horse.

By the 60s-70s, it was used by surfers/inner city folks to mean "buddy." It wasn't used by mainstream folks.

I think the widespread use of "dude" came around the time of the "Valley Girls." Early 80s.

blackicmenace
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2017, 9:36 pm

The dude abides.

CharityGoodyGrace
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2017, 12:21 am

I've been called "sir" before years ago because I had short hair and wore a blazer and polo shirt and no makeup and I wore masculine pants and shoes... LOL.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2017, 6:38 am

I used to live in a place where there were a lot of college students and a lot of musicians, and a lot of older generation original hippies, and everyone there called each other dude. It's just a way of saying "buddy."

I'm a woman and once in the middle of a conversation, I got called dude by a male musician acquaintance who then instantly apologized and asked if that was offensive. I laughed and said it wasn't the least bit offensive!

If anything, I was flattered to be included in the circle of friends whom he called dude. I was glad to be thought of as one of the gang, which were mostly musical, artistic, college age, laid-back males.

A similar one is "man." Also used a lot by musicians, college students, hippies, etc. Women I knew would say to each other "I hear where you're coming from, man" even to another woman.

"Man" and "dude" have kind of transcended their gender boundary as something to insert into a sentence spoken to someone you feel familiar and comfortable with, whatever gender.

Soliloquist
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Aug 2017, 8:16 am

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2017, 9:06 am

I've always wondered what to say when you have trouble identifying someone's gender? I've found that saying nothing isn't always good decision in the real world.

And it strikes me that asking for someone's gender is akin to asking if a woman is pregnant.

Incendax
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Aug 2017, 2:34 am

Dude has been used in a gender neutral fashion since at least the 70s. Depending on its use in a sentence, it CAN reference the masculine, but the gender neutral version is the more common useage, like the word 'guys'. "Hey guys, what's going on?" or "Dude, what the hell happened to my car?!"

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 2:47 am

Don't move to Newcastle then. They call every one man. Whay aye man.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 8:06 am

Yep, "guys" is another one that's pretty much acceptably used even among females. I've heard plenty of girls and women around me in an all-female group say things like "So what do you guys want to do?" or "You guys did great!"

I seriously have no problem with dude, guys, or man being used gender-neutrally; I've heard it a ton when I lived in the US, and I do it all the time myself.

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 9:05 am

Quote:
A similar one is "man." Also used a lot by musicians, college students, hippies, etc. Women I knew would say to each other "I hear where you're coming from, man" even to another woman.

I do that. Gender is of course a confusing concept for me. It's meant in camaraderie. :)
Funny though that when someone says that to me, I'm sometimes not sure if they said "man" or "ma'am." Both could apply.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 9:10 am

If you need reasonable accommodations for the clothes you wear due to unusual sensitivities, I think you should give other people a break when it comes to identifying your gender. Though I can understand your frustration if you happen to be wearing very uncomfortable fashionable girly clothes and high heels.

SilverBoltsisWmax
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Aug 2017, 9:14 am

SixthTitan wrote:
Okay,

So I just came back from Star Bucks and got a drink on their double star today and when the guy gave me my mocha, he said "here you go dude."

I really don't understand why some guys call girls dude, is it some kind of new hip word like guys?

This happened to me before to at college, some of the guys i hung out with just casually would say things like "whats up dude?", "sweet dude." or "yo dude"..

Personally, i feel like if they're gonna call us dude, then we should call them gals.

So....
Whats up with that gal?

Lol, I work there and I can honestly tell you it's not to be offensive. A lot of people there have turned their brains off and say the most common casual thing in order to to be fast and quick. Dude in no way means they think of you as a guy but it is in fact a hip word like you said. I say it sometimes to my best friends like dude wtf are you doing? And that's to girls. It's just one of those weird words that can mean both sexes I guess. Primarily one but can include the other, does that make sense?