A father's problem with the phrase "Different not less".

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

CharityGoodyGrace
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2017, 5:16 pm

http://www.stuartduncan.name/autism/the ... -not-less/ I disagree with him. NOBODY should be seen as less, no matter what. It should say "Different and needing help, but not less." That's a good way to make EVERYONE happy.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2017, 7:20 pm

I've gotten quite fed up with the amount of phrases or terms we can't use because it offends people in the ASD community. I use a lot of terms a lot of people on this website don't like (Aspie, "special interest", etc.), and it seems like no matter what words we use we end up offending somebody. One YouTuber (invisible i) mentioned this, and how we shouldn't berate people for using the "wrong terms" to describe autism. It shuns people away from the ASD community and makes us feel like whatever we write is going to offend somebody. I say just use whatever terms, and if someone doesn't like the term/phrase or whatever, they don't have to use it themselves. I agree that "Different, not less" is not an offensive or hurtful term. I just think that no matter what terms we use to describe autistic people and their needs are not going to go well with everybody.

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2017, 7:51 pm

Different standard for autistic people again. Help is given to people who are disadvantaged all the time. For older people whom are disadvantaged by not growing up in the computer age computer and job training are provided and if you are over a certain age you are eligible for programs even if you do not need them. For minorities that are disadvantaged, there is affirmative action. But a common belief is that if autism is only a disadvantage of being a minority( the cause of the autistic disadvantage is the topic for another post) autistics not only deserve no help but scorn for not thinking they are broken.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

johnnyh
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Aug 2017, 8:43 pm

Different, not less has a completely different meaning than "different, not disabled".

It's all arguing semantics here. The meaning of "different".

-Johnnyh

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 9:01 pm

CharityGoodyGrace wrote:
http://www.stuartduncan.name/autism/the-problem-with-the-expression-different-not-less/

Looking at that I see,
Quote:
... and understandably so, some statements were a tad harsh.

And then I think if there were someone named Thaddeus Harsh would he be a Tad Harsh?