what are ur thoughts on the new netflix show ATYPICAL?

Page 5 of 5 [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2017, 12:25 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:

Yeah. I've never seen a TV show based on an autistic character, but it would be cool :D .

The Good Doctor will premiere on ABC three weeks from today (Sept 25)

I just found out about this show this morning, and I'm super psyched, it looks really good. If we're going for the whole acceptance movement thing, then yeah it's a little unfortunate that they have yet another super savant autistic character, but as a TV show made for entertainment purposes, I think it's going to be awesome :)

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2017, 12:44 pm

StarTrekker wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:

Yeah. I've never seen a TV show based on an autistic character, but it would be cool :D .

The Good Doctor will premiere on ABC three weeks from today (Sept 25)

I just found out about this show this morning, and I'm super psyched, it looks really good. If we're going for the whole acceptance movement thing, then yeah it's a little unfortunate that they have yet another super savant autistic character, but as a TV show made for entertainment purposes, I think it's going to be awesome :)

Freddie Highmore played a young Norman Bates in the psycho tv series , he was really convincing ( not that I know any murdering psychos ) and creeped the hell out of me. He's a good actor so can't wait for The Good Doctor.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2017, 5:33 pm

Fern wrote:
This whole isn't-my-life-hard-for-having-a-weird-kid trope bothers me a lot, honestly. I'm sure it's not the wonderful NT life, but it's not as bad as being the autistic person yourself, so stop whining! OMG! As comforting as these series may be to the NT community who has to deal with interacting with people on the spectrum, AS kids are going to watch and blame themselves for the unhappiness/breaking-up of their families!! ! That is not okay! The truth is that it's not their fault. If you have a fair-weather spouse, that is not the kid's fault. I think Hollywood needs a reality check on this.

Absolutely. I know they're trying to keep characters diverse and dimensional, but that mother.... :x

Sofisol612
Raven
Raven

10 Sep 2017, 7:19 am

Now I've finally watched all the epidoses. I agree with those who critizised Sam's inexpressiveness regarding his special interests: most aspies, if not all, are often visibly excited about them and, in my case at least, my special interests are what have always helped me bond with the rest of my family. The other criticism I'd like to make is that I hate to see autism portrayed as a valid reason for an otherwise fairly good parent to walk out on spouse and children.

Some of the things I did like were the critical way in which they showed mothers' support groups with their condescending "people first" language, the overprotective mother and the relationship between Sam and Casey, which was mainly positive in spite of Casey's mild teasing and the lack of attention she received because of her brother. I think that relationship is similar to the one I had with my younger sister during our early teenage years.

Autism Quotient: 30
Aspie quiz: 123/200 aspie; 75/200 NT
RAADS: 135

OhkaBaka
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Sep 2017, 2:26 pm

We just finished it and loved it. It is interesting in both the exaggeration of Sam's behaviours (which we all expected), but also the respect for them (which I didn't respect).

As both someone who is on the spectrum enough to relate, and a parent of someone else on the spectrum, I am forgiving of the isn't-it-hard trope that has been lamented here. The show isn't about Sam, it is about the family. In the same way that Sam's quirks are amplified, so is the families'. It is overplayed on this show so far, to be sure, but being the parent to an asd kid is rough, and the show would be less interesting if the parents got it right the first time. The JOY of having an ASD kid is marginally touched on, and that is the biggest hole for me.

I love that he has systems that work, and when they don't it is a problem.
I love that the scale to which he reacts to things varies and does not match what an NT might predict.
I love that his special interest isn't math or physics or space.
I love that he has a sense of humor and especially how it is portrayed (drop the punchline like a boss and keep rolling like it didn't even happen, let everyone laugh when they catch up), though I think it is TRAGICALLY underutilized.
I love that he is mainlined in school, but... I don't like that we don't see how that works.
I love Tinkerballa
I love that his dad is "discovering" him... which is a conceit of storytelling, it is unlikely he would start experiencing this when Sam is 18... but the feelings are good to explore and real.
I love the horrible parent's group.
I love that Casey gets a free pass for behavior and contact. She does things (touching/teasing) that other people don't get to do, not explained, not justified, it just is. Very real thing that hollywood generally doesn't deal with.

I agree that something is off about his talking about his special interest. It is intrinsically boring and he isn't excited about it. For the first 5 minutes, the energy and passion in a special interest monologue can often be interesting... it isn't until we don't stop talking about it that people get annoyed or bored with it. In my experience anyway.

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2017, 7:19 am

I thought there should more consequences to breaking into the therapists house.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2017, 9:27 am

Why is EVERY show about an autistic person about them trying to find a relationship? Maybe if he developed a friendship with a girl who liked penguins and Antarctic stuff and it developed into a relationship over the course of a few years. But no, a relationship just for a relationship is going to go nowhere. Why is Sam so obsessed with wanting a girlfriend in the first place? They really should have at least explained it. But anyhow, I despise these type of shows where the person gives up everything for a relationship. What exactly did he see in Paige? If I had someone give me cards and try to tell me I couldn't talk about my special interest, I'd drop that f****r like a rock. He needs to find a girl who shares his interest in penguins and Antarctica, not one who makes him shut up about it.

Last edited by MagicMeerkat on 02 Nov 2017, 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2017, 10:46 am

Fern wrote:
I binged the whole thing. Like "Parenthood" I'm pretty sure this series is written so that people relate more to the families of the kid with autism. This whole isn't-my-life-hard-for-having-a-weird-kid trope bothers me a lot, honestly. I'm sure it's not the wonderful NT life, but it's not as bad as being the autistic person yourself, so stop whining! OMG! As comforting as these series may be to the NT community who has to deal with interacting with people on the spectrum, AS kids are going to watch and blame themselves for the unhappiness/breaking-up of their families!! ! That is not okay! The truth is that it's not their fault. If you have a fair-weather spouse, that is not the kid's fault. I think Hollywood needs a reality check on this.

^THIS^

Is the mother supposed to be on the spectrum too?

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2017, 12:05 pm

I saw all but the last episode. I couldn't empathise with any of the characters, so it didn't interest me very much. I've no idea how realistic it was, though I suspect it wasn't very. The Aspie's behaviour seemed like a crude caricature by somebody who doesn't really understand autism very well, they didn't show anything positive about him, not that I noticed anyway. The other people just seemed like jerks most of the time. Sorry to give such a shallow appraisal of it, for all I know it could be doing a good job of explaining ASD-NT issues to a lot of people, but I wasn't thinking "wow, they're really telling it like it is," I was more thinking "what a boring mainstream American show this is, I can't see how it's going to do us any good." I'm not in any hurry to see the season finale.

einsteinmyhero
Toucan
Toucan

02 Nov 2017, 12:32 pm

Me and my parents watched the whole first season. they said the character reminded them of me a lot.

“Men passionately desire to live after death, but they often pass away without noticing the fact that the memory of a really good person always lives. It is impressed upon the next generation, and is transmitted again to the children. Is that not an immortality worth striving for? ”
― Pyotr Kropotkin, Memoirs of a Revolutionist

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2017, 5:36 am

lazyflower wrote:
Only watched one episode and am not gonna watch more. Safe to say I didn't like it. How I see it, the issue with having an autism-themed fictional form of entertainment is that it has to be exactly that. Entertaining.

In this show, we're supposed to laugh at the autistic main character. I suppose there's nothing wrong with finding humor in things, but this felt more like mocking. At least to me. The main character was also terribly stereotypical. I know and have known tons of autistic people in my life and none of them have been like him. Fair enough if people on the spectrum like him do actually exist, he just didn't seem like the most accurate representation. From what I watched, he had no issues with going to school at his public high school while also being able to hold a normal job at a store on the side, however he suddenly bursts out the door and, for no reason, yells "twat!" at a random girl standing at the front door. That was just so odd to me and I've never encountered an aspie who'd do something like that. But again, what do I know. I guess they always need to exagerate certain areas when it's for entertainment.

I think they got AS and Tourrette's Syndrome mixed up.

racheypie666
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2017, 5:46 am

It looks life-affirming, ugh. I will not be watching.

Elliot Alderson from Mr Robot is the closest I've come to feeling represented in a TV series. Actually inspired me to come here. If there was a fictional character with a loneliness so similar to my own, I could probably find real people, too.

xatrix26
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2017, 6:45 am

This is just another idea that Hollywood got a hold of and like all ideas in Hollywood, they're going to squeeze that dishrag until there's absolutely nothing left and it's going to be dirty and twisted.

It'll be completely inaccurate. It won't show the true experience of an ASD. They'll try to end it with a happy ending and there are no happy endings with ASDs. It will miss the mark completely, totally and utterly.

In short, it will be insulting to all of us.

ADHD, OCD, and PTSD.

Keep calm and stim away. ;)

loobyloukitty
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Nov 2017, 2:59 pm

Can't wait for the next series. Really enjoyed it. Was a bit infuriated with the cliffhanger to be honest. Much better than the A word that the BBC have done. Atypical and the Chris Packham documentary by the BBC a couple of weeks ago, was also very good.