what are ur thoughts on the new netflix show ATYPICAL?

Page 3 of 5 [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2017, 9:55 pm

one problem i had with sam is one particular scene. Where he is brought to a aquarium or something and watches the penguins (antartica is his Special Interest ) and he seems... Meh, I know people with autism can seem emotionless (apparently) but i know a lot of people all over the spectrum and i know all of them have special interests, including myself.

i know if I were brought to a sonic convention i would NOT BE ABLE TO CONTAIN MYSELF. i get all giddy and excited and feeling jumping just thinking about a sonic convention! and same with all my autistic friends, they all loose it when they see something even related to their Interests

why is sam so expressionless? I feel like the "blank face" is more rare than its made out to be, i never met a autistic person yet that was completely expressionless.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2017, 9:59 pm

I haven't seen it yet, but that is very odd :? ^^^^^^^

All the autistic people I know start jumping up and down and starting a long, beautiful monologue on whatever the interest is (including myself). It's one of the better blessings of having autism, I think. Even though our interests can get to the point where they significantly interfere with our lives, the joy they bring us is all worth it, at least in my experience :D . It doesn't seem like Sam feels that way!

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

soloha
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Aug 2017, 7:53 pm

ZombieBrideXD wrote:
one problem i had with sam is one particular scene. Where he is brought to a aquarium or something and watches the penguins (antartica is his Special Interest ) and he seems... Meh, I know people with autism can seem emotionless (apparently) but i know a lot of people all over the spectrum and i know all of them have special interests, including myself.

i know if I were brought to a sonic convention i would NOT BE ABLE TO CONTAIN MYSELF. i get all giddy and excited and feeling jumping just thinking about a sonic convention! and same with all my autistic friends, they all loose it when they see something even related to their Interests

why is sam so expressionless? I feel like the "blank face" is more rare than its made out to be, i never met a autistic person yet that was completely expressionless.

I've wondered about this. On my block there are 154 people. Five of them, including myself, are on the Spectrum, one of them classically Autistic. The others are all kids. Aside from the one the with classic autism, the one who is most obviously on the spectrum smiles all of the time and seems like a generally happy kid. The one with classic autism is super sweet too. She brings me bouquets of leaves off of trees (it's always the same kind of leaf too). Another who is quite obviously "off" (per NT standards, not mine. I think he's great) is very animated with me and quite affectionate in his own way. Sneaking up behind me and yelling "boing!" a millisecond before he leaps onto my back is a favorite activity. These kids are far from expressionless. My experience with them does not mesh with the stereotype.

structrix
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2017, 11:51 am

I am on my third episode and so far I like the show.

I am an Aspie!
Diagnosed as an adult

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2017, 7:49 pm

I spent today watching all eight episodes of the first season, and honestly I liked it. It reminded me of Parenthood, but they spent more time focusing on the autistic kid, which was nice. I thought it was a pretty realistic portrayal of autism; a lot of Sam the protagonist's behaviour was similar to my own, and his meltdown in one episode wound me up a lot because I knew exactly how he felt; his meltdowns even look just like mine. I kind of wish there weren't so much side drama with the rest of the family, it felt unnecessary and detracted from Sam's part of the story, but apart from that I really enjoyed it.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2017, 11:08 am

I did not like it. The main character is majorly unlikable. I feel sorry for the therapist. The sister is an interesting character though.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2017, 12:15 pm

StarTrekker wrote:
I spent today watching all eight episodes of the first season, and honestly I liked it. It reminded me of Parenthood, but they spent more time focusing on the autistic kid, which was nice. I thought it was a pretty realistic portrayal of autism; a lot of Sam the protagonist's behaviour was similar to my own, and his meltdown in one episode wound me up a lot because I knew exactly how he felt; his meltdowns even look just like mine. I kind of wish there weren't so much side drama with the rest of the family, it felt unnecessary and detracted from Sam's part of the story, but apart from that I really enjoyed it.

I felt so empathetic for sam during the meltdown, it makes me tear up everytime, i really relate to sam too with his meltdowns!

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2017, 6:16 pm

BettaPonic wrote:
I did not like it. The main character is majorly unlikable. I feel sorry for the therapist. The sister is an interesting character though.

Let me guess, you also thought he acted sexist and had no respect for women? :)

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Kaybono88
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Sep 2017, 6:52 pm

At first I did not like it. It seemed too stereotyped and cheesy. But I finally started to like it. I felt sorry for Julia and I wished there had been more closure between her and Sam's family. I wish they knew that Sam caused her relationship to unravel.

I could relate to certain aspects of Sam's nature, such as not liking light touches and preferring firm pressure, but it seemed like they crammed every symptom in one character. Other than that it was good.

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2017, 6:54 pm

League_Girl wrote:
BettaPonic wrote:

Not at all. He seemed like a horny teen. The thought of him being sexist never crossed my mind.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2017, 7:34 pm

BettaPonic wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
BettaPonic wrote:

Not at all. He seemed like a horny teen. The thought of him being sexist never crossed my mind.

Oh that's why you thought he was unlikable. I thought maybe you had the same thought as that one blogger online who also wrote about the show and how disappointed they were.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2017, 8:35 pm

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
Yeah. I've never seen a TV show based on an autistic character, but it would be cool :D .

The Big Bang Theory. The Sheldon character obviously has some form of autism or A.S., but the people behind the show (like Chuck Lorre) will never admit to this because it could land them in a lot of trouble for deliberately making fun of a character simply because he is different and has a hard time understanding how the unwritten rules of society work. It's bigotry, pure and simple, despicable nerd blackface.

So no, it wouldn't necessarily be "cool", because it can seriously backfire (as it does with T.B.B.T.).

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2017, 1:44 am

StampySquiddyFan wrote:

Yeah. I've never seen a TV show based on an autistic character, but it would be cool :D .

The Good Doctor will premiere on ABC three weeks from today (Sept 25)

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

seaweed
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2017, 2:02 am

meh, they tried.
that's commendable at least.

i wouldn't have watched it except for that my mom and sister wanted to watch it with me. i've only seen 3 episodes and i'm not super interested in seeing more on my own time, but i do think they tried to do right and they made it really accessible too. i am happy with it in that respect.

Hypercoaster
Raven
Raven

04 Sep 2017, 7:59 am

I agree with you, Kaybon, about Julia. It really irked me that Sam's parents don't even bother to teach him about what is and isn't appropriate. Like, when he broke into Julia's house in the first place, that was Sam's dad's responsibility to tell Julia what happened. I felt really badly for her, too, because she had a lot going on in her life, she lost her cool, but honestly, she had the right to lose her cool. That was a highly inappropriate thing that Sam did, and while he may not have known at the time that he did anything inappropriate, that was his parents' responsibility to teach him and to alert her! I didn't like how many times Sam's dad talked with her and didn't say anything. Julia was made out to be the bad guy when, really, she was the only one trying to teach Sam anything.

As for the emotionless special interests, I totally agree. That's why I connected more with Paige than with Sam, because she got all geeky excited about her passions.

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2017, 11:25 am

I binged the whole thing. Like "Parenthood" I'm pretty sure this series is written so that people relate more to the families of the kid with autism. This whole isn't-my-life-hard-for-having-a-weird-kid trope bothers me a lot, honestly. I'm sure it's not the wonderful NT life, but it's not as bad as being the autistic person yourself, so stop whining! OMG! As comforting as these series may be to the NT community who has to deal with interacting with people on the spectrum, AS kids are going to watch and blame themselves for the unhappiness/breaking-up of their families!! ! That is not okay! The truth is that it's not their fault. If you have a fair-weather spouse, that is not the kid's fault. I think Hollywood needs a reality check on this.