what are ur thoughts on the new netflix show ATYPICAL?

Page 1 of 5 [ 78 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

random1
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Aug 2017, 7:00 pm

im gonna be watching it tbh
have u seen the trailer?
will u be watching it?
i wasnt expecting a series on netlix on autism to happen.
it was surprising a bit
ur thoughts?

Last edited by random1 on 09 Aug 2017, 8:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2017, 7:05 pm

I don't have high hopes that it will portray ASD accurately, to be honest. I can't watch it because I don't have Netflix. I hope you enjoy it, though! :D

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

random1
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Aug 2017, 7:28 pm

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
I don't have high hopes that it will portray ASD accurately, to be honest. I can't watch it because I don't have Netflix. I hope you enjoy it, though! :D

tbh i wish they put it on actual tv as well.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2017, 7:29 pm

random1 wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:

Yeah. I've never seen a TV show based on an autistic character, but it would be cool :D .

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

EverythingAndNothing
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Aug 2017, 7:31 pm

I think Netflix has had some controversial shows that turned out to be well done, but this one looks completely stereotypical from the trailer. I don't think I'm going to watch it.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2017, 8:30 pm

EverythingAndNothing wrote:
I think Netflix has had some controversial shows that turned out to be well done, but this one looks completely stereotypical from the trailer. I don't think I'm going to watch it.

I thought 13 Reasons Why was controversial but really well done - I think it broke me watching that series :(

Aytypical is not on UK Netflix :(

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

Sameen
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

10 Aug 2017, 7:12 am

Quote:
Yeah. I've never seen a TV show based on an autistic character, but it would be cool :D .

The Bridge, a Swedish/Danish crime TV series from 2011, has a leading female character, Saga Noren,
who is reckoned to be autistic, although it isn't explicitly stated in the series. The actress, Sofia Helin,
who plays her has said that she regards Saga as having Asperger's. I thought it was somewhat
stereotypical though.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/features/sofia-helin-on-the-bridge-and-why-she-based-saga-noren-on-a-cross-between-dirty-harry-and-a-goat-a6727586.html

There was, apparently, a US/Mexico version on the network FX in 2013 and 2014.

Re Atypical, I thought it was showing on Netflix UK from tomorrow, Friday 11th.

EverythingAndNothing
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Aug 2017, 7:19 am

SaveFerris wrote:
EverythingAndNothing wrote:

I thought 13 Reasons Why was controversial but really well done - I think it broke me watching that series :(

I felt the same way. To the Bone was also a really good movie that they just released on eating disorders even though there was some controversy around that one. I'm hoping that this show surprises me in the same way. Maybe they'll have some other other characters in the show with less stereotypical traits than the main character seems to have.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2017, 10:37 am

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
random1 wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:

*cough* a-word *cough*

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2017, 11:18 am

It looks like the kind of syrupy social drama that I'd have absolutely no interest in aside from that autism factor.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2017, 4:01 pm

First episode, so far so good.

IgA
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Aug 2017, 5:29 pm

They picked a guy that is too old for the role of a senior in high school. He will be 25 next month. They should have made him just a 20-something living at home with his parents.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2017, 8:31 pm

IgA wrote:
They picked a guy that is too old for the role of a senior in high school. He will be 25 next month. They should have made him just a 20-something living at home with his parents.

Pretty much every highschool tv show picks over aged actors/actresses to play the characters.

chortler
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

12 Aug 2017, 2:33 am

It's advertised here as a show about a teenager's dating problems due to ASD. Why anyone would want to relive that or experience it for the first time I don't understand. What's the allure for people that have watched it?

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 4:44 pm

I have no plans of watching, seems like a waste of time to watch in my opinion.

soloha
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Aug 2017, 6:48 pm

I'll watch it out of curiosity. I thought the Netflix film Asperger's Are Us was decent. We'll see ...