what are ur thoughts on the new netflix show ATYPICAL?

Page 2 of 5 [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2017, 7:51 am

lazyflower wrote:

In this show, we're supposed to laugh at the autistic main character. I suppose there's nothing wrong with finding humor in things, but this felt more like mocking. At least to me.

That's exactly my feeling and when I laughed it was like guilty laughter - mocking the afflicted :roll:

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

grlo1114
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Aug 2017, 8:16 am

I do not relate to the main character at all. What he looks like to me is the people who "researched" autism for the show took an aspect of the diagnostic criteria and turned the level up to 11 for each one. It is grossly stereotypical to me. And I see this because I too was one of those kids in high school who walked the hallways with headphones on, but because I preferred to listen to music and block the world out, not because I necessarily needed noise-cancelling. I was a loner with a handful of friends, and even among my few friends still felt like an outcast among them. I was more along the lines of a selective mute, only talking when spoken to with exception of being around friends who I was more comfortable around. Seriously, the Sheldon Cooper stereotype, while obviously autistic kids like this exist, has to give way to a more nuanced depiction at some point. We don't all talk mindlessly about our special interests like this. It is a damned stereotype and I'm sick of it.

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2017, 3:58 am

IgA wrote:
They picked a guy that is too old for the role of a senior in high school. He will be 25 next month. They should have made him just a 20-something living at home with his parents.

They will always do that... because teenagers can't work the rigorous hours required for filming on set

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2017, 4:01 am

Before comparing Sam to yourself... please think about the times that the NTs in your lives had to have EVERYTHING spelled out for them...

Turning it up to 11 is the only way that they can see...

That being said... it is a pretty accurate portrayal of traditional autism.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2017, 5:02 pm

Lost_dragon wrote:
I've seen it in the trending section on Netflix, and I've been wondering if I should watch it. Hmm... I might do.

Apparently it has a 93% recommendation to me. Hmm... I sure have seen a lot of controversy surrounding this show.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 2:57 pm

Lost_dragon wrote:
Lost_dragon wrote:
I've seen it in the trending section on Netflix, and I've been wondering if I should watch it. Hmm... I might do.

Apparently it has a 93% recommendation to me. Hmm... I sure have seen a lot of controversy surrounding this show.

So, I ended up watching the first season of this show. I know that this show has gained a lot of hate, but I actually kind of liked it. Personally, I didn't find it all that mocking, the only times I laughed were when Sam locked his girlfriend in the closet and the "twat" scene, although that was more me laughing at how confused that poor girl must've been at the random insult. :D Granted, it was cringey at times (especially with the whole interest in the therapist thing) but overall it was interesting and I liked all the animal comparisons. My sister used to be obsessed with penguins too, granted not to the level Sam is.

How Sam and his sister interacted was interesting, and that knocking scene (when he knocks four times, and she knocks again and says "You gotta know four times right?" just to annoy him) reminds me of how my sister used to act towards me. Thankfully she isn't like that anymore.

Canadian Penguin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Aug 2017, 8:20 pm

Pete Wood wrote:
I have now watched them all, interesting and funny. Clearly an overblown character with every trait thrown in, but great to see this on a mainstream program.

That's often the way. The character will be created around the stereotypes, and they will usually be exaggerated in order for the general viewer to be able to identify the traits. Yet, they also have to ensure that the interaction of the character moves the story along. You end up with a caricature that doesn't represent reality. It's unlikely an episode would revolve around the character hiding in their room, reading a book.

As a disclaimer, I'm often cynical and critical of what "Hollywood" puts out, so I may be way off on the evaluation of the show as I've never seen it.

Shows like this can either help in educating or hinder because people may expect you to act like the character, or get the wrong understanding (among others).

bobchaos
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Aug 2017, 9:19 pm

I don't think the autism depiction was entirely off the mark, the first 2 episodes had a lot of scenes that reminded me of childhood. That said, I originally thought it would be drama/tragedy, and not romantic comedy :P Maybe it's just my sh***y experience with autism and dating :P

I think all things considered, that show will do good things for autism awareness. NTs can't talk about heavy stuff apparently, which is why you don't see debates in the US congress about their mass surveillance programs ;) This show gave it a light enough touch without making it look like our lives are all cute and hilarious misunderstandings. Sam gets to explain his point of view and pain at having to live by NT rules, and maybe I'm just speaking for myself but I find his explanations (if not his behavior) relatable in many ways.

johnnyh
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Aug 2017, 10:00 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Based it the trailer it looks a little unrealistic.

Poon City is not a real place? Do they think aspies can't spot a joke? Do they think we're like Data from Star Trek?

The whole premise is unrealistic. A show about the dating life of a teenaged aspie. The majority of us didn't start dating until we were well into our twenties.

Here's a trailer for a more realistic show about a 22 year old aspie. It has a close resemblance to my life when I was 22.

Yeah, I am in that phase like that anime. I still haven't quite smoking (but cut down), the guy though, he has packets lying around his entire house! But the main character is neurotypical, nobody is immune to depression nowadays.
He still has hope of coming out of it, which he kinda does in the light novels, he gets part time work and makes friends with the girl and guy. He can leave the past behind, we can too, but the autism remains.

Autopilot
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Aug 2017, 11:22 pm

Debating whether to watch it or not...

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2017, 2:25 am

I am watching the show now and I am on the 2nd episode. So far Sam has been portrayed as being very socially awkward who doesn't know the rules of dating or social skills and he hasn't come off as a misogynist yet as someone claimed in their blog. I think this is all meant for comedy because I thought his social awkwardness was over the top and how literal he is like is dad mentioned a friend he gets into a relationship with and Sam thought his dad meant his turtle because his turtle is his best friend. The mom seems to have no faith in her son while his therapist does so she has been trying to teach him social skills and Sam is eager to learn while his mom thinks he can't do it. The dad seems okay.

I can tell Sam really likes penguins and Antarctica and that is his special interest and he has showed a indication of sensory issues because he doesn't like the feeling of the bus seat against his back and it showed a scene of his self stimulation and mentioned what he used to do when he would get very upset when he was little and now he does something else now when upset, pace. The show is basically doing show and tell about his autism.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2017, 3:00 am

I wonder if the mom is somewhat on the spectrum too. She seems to have showed some signs like saying the light is bothering her and asked Sam if he needed his sunglasses and an inappropriate comment she made at the bar to a guy.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2017, 5:37 am

johnnyh wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
Based it the trailer it looks a little unrealistic.

Poon City is not a real place? Do they think aspies can't spot a joke? Do they think we're like Data from Star Trek?

The whole premise is unrealistic. A show about the dating life of a teenaged aspie. The majority of us didn't start dating until we were well into our twenties.

Here's a trailer for a more realistic show about a 22 year old aspie. It has a close resemblance to my life when I was 22.

Yeah, I am in that phase like that anime. I still haven't quite smoking (but cut down), the guy though, he has packets lying around his entire house! But the main character is neurotypical, nobody is immune to depression nowadays.
He still has hope of coming out of it, which he kinda does in the light novels, he gets part time work and makes friends with the girl and guy. He can leave the past behind, we can too, but the autism remains.

Yes it remains but autistics need not be introverted. Hell, I used to be a near shut in and I still managed to make myself more extroverted than I was. You can do it too.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2017, 7:34 pm

Watched it twice.

I enjoyed it but still have a few problems with it.

in the end, the character had accurate traits and symptoms so whatevr

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

structrix
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2017, 3:15 pm

I started watching Atypical yesterday and I must say that I enjoy watching it alot. I also watch it with my neurotypical husband and he will point out stuff that I do that resemble Sam. I get that there is a lot of hate on the show but personally I like it and I want to see more of it. I also want to say that I can see the humor when Sam does inappropriate things because when I look back at some of MY inappropriate moments I can also see the humor in some of those incidents as well.

I think people are looking on him with a too harsh of a microscope. Are ALL of us like Sam? No, but for those of us on the spectrum and for those of us fighting for diagnosis I think it's a good show for a diverse audience.

I think people need to SEE more exaggerated expressions of autism to be honest. Sam is likeable that is a positive and that means that when people see someone out there who may shout out words in a public, quiet setting (like what I saw that happened at a Church event for a kid this past Saturday) then fewer and fewer people will start turning around and wondering which "crazy" kid did that and why his parents don't do something about it. If more people see Sam vocalizing TWAT on the show then they will start to understand that some autistics do things like shout and make noises and repeat things. I have echolalia but I don't shout and make noises. Sam does that, does that make Sam unacceptable for representation. I don't think so!

I am an Aspie!
Diagnosed as an adult

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2017, 9:55 pm

one problem i had with sam is one particular scene. Where he is brought to a aquarium or something and watches the penguins (antartica is his Special Interest ) and he seems... Meh, I know people with autism can seem emotionless (apparently) but i know a lot of people all over the spectrum and i know all of them have special interests, including myself.

i know if I were brought to a sonic convention i would NOT BE ABLE TO CONTAIN MYSELF. i get all giddy and excited and feeling jumping just thinking about a sonic convention! and same with all my autistic friends, they all loose it when they see something even related to their Interests

why is sam so expressionless? I feel like the "blank face" is more rare than its made out to be, i never met a autistic person yet that was completely expressionless.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com