How to go 'above and beyond' to progress in a corporate

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

leniwhite
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Aug 2017, 12:28 pm

I've worked in a big global corporate in a perm role since 2012 and in that time I've only moved up one grade to the highest analyst level. I'm in my late thirties now and I feel like I've totally failed to live up to my potential.

This was my plan B career anyway and I always thought as long as I worked hard I could achieve but to move up a level I'm expected to be able to go 'above and beyond' my agreed objectives and this is where it's all started to go wrong.

I'm told I haven't found my niche and that they don't understand why I display the qualities they want to see in some scenarios but not others. I struggle without specific examples of things - for instance, if someone asks me to produce some kind of plan I have no idea where to start with estimating time, I don't know instinctively how to format it or what elements are expected etc. If I come up with ideas they're either not within the remit of what my area does, or they're too pie in the sky. It feels like the expectations are just not compatible with being ND and I don't know if I'm just not capable of getting above my current grade, or whether I just need to do something differently. It all feels so vague and my confidence is crumbling :cry: I'm also terrible at articulating why none of this makes sense to me. I was only diagnosed after years of issues in May this year and because I've generally masked very well people don't seem to be taking on board just how difficult even the most basic things are for me.

Anyone else been in a similar situation?

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2017, 2:59 pm

Honestly, I think most places (even the better ones) try to keep everyone down unless they are a "superstar" or "connected." It saves money. Most every place tries to get you to do ever more for less.

Doing more than what is expected of you is "going above and beyond." Keep track of the unique things you do that you do not have to do, and if your employer won't reward you with more money or a promotion you want, start looking for someone else who will.

Don't be too discouraged that nothing is happening where you are at. The corporate world is rather cut throat, and a whole lot of other people are getting the same treatment.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2017, 3:21 pm

Ive actually job hopped my way up the ladder. If you dont like your job. Move on.

My range of experience seems to actually be valued rather than be seen as a liability.

Although you'd possibly think the level I'm at is beneath you.

I'm not really that fussed about position. I was wandering down a different career path, but it made me miserable, so I've moved industries.

As long as I can pay my bills and have a bit left over I'm happy.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2017, 3:35 pm

Hurtloam is correct, you need to change workplaces, it's just like free agency in sports leagues: the players don't really get paid unless they're willing to hit free agency and look for the best deal. In the modern economy your only loyalty is to the paycheck they provide and if that paycheck doesn't match the performance you need to shift your allegiance to someone who will provide that paycheck. At least that's why I'm assuming you want to hit the next 'level', if it's more autonomy and control I'd also go the free agent route and apply for jobs with the title you want. If prospective employers mention you don't have experience at that 'level' explain that you're willing and ready to do what it takes to be successful at that level and that's the reason you're looking at leaving your current employer: they're great an all, but there's no path for advancement inside the company.

aspinnaker
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Sep 2017, 11:22 pm

Others have posted their thoughts about advancement, but I wanted to address the other skillset related question you had.

I understand what you are going through, to an extent. I have worked in a global corporation in their analyst program. I have also worked in a startup environment doing finance and strategy work. There are a few things that I continue to struggle with, for example I find it very difficult to understand key questions that I am asked at certain points ("What are they actually asking?"). More relevant to your example, I do understand the difficulty around creating a plan and understanding all the key components in it. I have many pie in the sky ideas, and sometimes what I talk about and propose is not on the same wavelength as everyone else in the meeting. I attribute to all of these difficulties in finding it difficult to truly zone in on what others want or are communicating.

However, I also feel that this has improved for me over time, so I am wondering what you are not doing. Let's take the example of the plan - I may be confused initially on how to create it, but I simply found other strategic plans, copied the format and approach. I try very hard to contribute ideas that are helpful to meetings and don't sidetrack the meeting (small win each time I do), which means that I over think each answer but that over time I have also gotten a bit better at this. I double down on the areas that I am good at - creativity, detailed analysis - and get appreciated for those.

This is possibly where other people's advice to make a professional move comes in. I had similar issues in both my corporate and startup experiences, but my team in the startup environment appreciated my strengths much more and were more willing to overlook my faults.

Happy to help with further questions you may have, especially if you had more specific example or talk about more tactical solutions.

Best of luck.