Does anyone here wear contacts?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

SpreadsheetMaster
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Aug 2017, 8:58 pm

I've worn glasses since I was like 6 and blamed them for being bullied in middle school. I've always hated them, but balked at wearing contacts since I don't think I could handle the sensation of them on my eyes. However... recently I've taken a photo of myself spruced up without glasses and got a ton of positive feedback on it and would like to give them a try. However, my dad and sister both tried them and couldn't tolerate them, and my dad is ASD. Hypersensitivity. I've got it. Has anyone here tried them? Has anyone succeeded in using them, even?

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2017, 6:47 am

I did wear them for a while, but they cause little irritation bumps under the eyelids that I never bothered to learn the correct name for. They're too much trouble, in my opinion. I'd much rather be comfortable than make myself uncomfortable for the sake of compliments on my appearance from other people.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2017, 6:59 am

I've worn contacts for 29 years and I LOVE, love, love them.

I never had a sensitivity issue, even the very first time I tried them in the optometrist's office. They teach you how to insert them. It's a very quick touch.

Soft contact lenses are so light and thin that you can't feel anything on your eye -- well I should say, "most" people can't feel them. I'm sure there are people who do feel them and can't tolerate them.

I was happy to find that I wasn't that person. I had very little issue learning how to put them in and take them out, and once in I never felt them, even the very first time I wore them.

You do feel them after very long hours of wear and if they get a bit dry. You need to avoid that happening, use re-wetting drops especially for contact wearers etc.

What I love about them is that once they are in, your entire field of vision is "normal". Whereas, with glasses, I have never, ever been able to get used to the fact that I can see outside the glasses and it's fuzzy there but corrected through my glasses.

I actually cannot tolerate glasses, both because of the physical sensation of them on my face, and also because of the visual disturbance they cause me because there's only one part of my field of vision corrected.

Contacts make your whole world look 20/20. I literally cannot tolerate wearing my glasses for anything but sitting still on my couch and watching TV. They cause me to stumble and fall if worn out and about outside.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2017, 8:07 am

I can't wear them. My eye reflexes won't let me.

KagamineLen
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2017, 10:20 pm

I tried contacts, and while I had no problems with them sensory-wise, I actually think that with the right frame of glasses, I look a lot sharper. Glasses carry the stigma of intellectualism. Gimme that stigma.

Keladry
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2017, 10:30 pm

I wore them for about a year in junior high, and then gave it up because of sensitivity issues. I can't have anything in or near my eyes (including make-up/other things). I also never saw as well with them and always had dry eyes.

That being said, you should try them out. Everyone reacts differently. If you end up not liking them, your glasses are still there :)

CharityGoodyGrace
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 12:25 am

I wear them, worn them for 3 years, love them too. It isn't that difficult, you just pinch the lens to take it out, not your eye, though you do have to be careful not to accidentally pinch your eyeball! To put them in you just have to put it on the tip of your index finger while holding your eye open with your two middle fingers, and stick it in. Squelching noises means it's going in good. They also only have to soak in solution for 6 hours a day, so you can wear them for a long time once you get used to them.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 8:13 am

KagamineLen wrote:
"Glasses carry the stigma of intellectualism. Gimme that stigma."
Hah, I would love to be perceived by others with some of that intellectual stigma glasses give a person! I actually think it would serve me better to be seen wearing my glasses, as people do seem to take me for dumb on surface impressions, even though I'm intelligent.

But I just cannot tolerate glasses. :( Looking through them and still seeing the peripheral, uncorrected part of my field of vision does insane things to my brain's visual processing. I don't know what it is but my brain goes crazy trying to deal with looking through glasses. The couple of times I've tried going to the store wearing them, I felt like I was in a nightmare world. My brain can't reconcile. I need the whole-field correction of contacts.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 8:16 am

LOL....I can't tolerate contact lenses.

I get sick of glasses sometimes.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 8:25 am

It's funny, contacts are much more often the one of the two options that many, many people cannot tolerate, for sure, while they are fine with their glasses.

Just my luck I'm unable to tolerate the one that most people can handle, lol!

Glasses can get physically annoying too though, yep. Even when I wear them in the one situation I can tolerate them visually (while sitting still), they do start to make the bridge of my nose ache too after a while.

I'm scared of things like laser surgery and lens replacement though! Can't win.