Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2017, 1:22 am

A Japanese author writes about coping with autism Naoki Higashida’s descriptions of being autistic have made him one of the most famous writers in Japan

Quote:
The Reason I Jump”, which came out in 2007, was eventually translated into over 30 languages. Mr Higashida, then 13, became internationally famous and is now probably the most widely read Japanese author after Haruki Murakami.

Mr Higashida’s latest book, “Fall Down 7 Times Get Up 8”, provides a similar guide to the “immutable beauties” of the autistic mind. Now in his 20s, the author offers a wider perspective on life with a disorder. The title alludes to a Japanese proverb about persistence. The book is a gospel in praise of grit, not just for autistic people but for wider society. Do not give up on us, he urges parents and helpers. “The person with special needs will sense that resignation, lose their motivation and stop trying to speak.” He even goes as far as to say that a carer’s lack of grit can erode an autistic person’s “will to live”.

The book rightfully challenges the methods and attitudes that prevail in supporting people with autism. It is rich in metaphor, something Mr Mitchell was once told was beyond autistic people. As Mr Higashida himself writes: “Weeds like dandelions which you can find all over the world and which nobody really gives a second glance to...are the happiest.” “Fall Down 7 Times Get Up 8” should be read by many beyond the circle of parents seeking to understand their child. It places Mr Higashida among the first rank of gifted writers, not just writers with autism.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Voxish
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Aug 2017, 12:50 pm

It was read out on BBC radio 4 very late at night for 5 nights a few weeks back, I expect in can still be found on iPlayer in UK or as a pod cast, it was really very good.

BBC: Radio 4