Do you have any of the classic Aspie special interests?

Page 5 of 5 [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2017, 9:09 am

IstominFan wrote:
StampySquiddy,

I also have an interest in a popular feline cartoon character-Sagwa, The Chinese Siamese Cat. I love Siamese kitties!

I would love to have a Maneki Neko (Beckoning Cat) figurine. That is one cat related item I still don't have in my collection.

Hi IstominFan!

Cats are great, aren't they? What type of cat is the figurine? :D

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

Hypercoaster
Raven
Raven

16 Aug 2017, 5:37 pm

I do think that the stereotypical/classic special interests in science and technology probably are the most common, but I also think that literally anything can be a special interest. Neurotypicals are really into Hollywood celebs and sports and things like that, but all of those "neurotypical" topics have the potential to be a special interest. The Aspie just is far more engrossed with the subject is all.

I really wish that there would be more research done on the development of special interests and how special interests wax/wane/change/stay the same over time. Why do some Aspies switch topics extremely often, whereas others only have one special interest their whole life? The only good research done was that "Dinosaurs 24/7" study you can read online. Has anybody else noticed that they have an underlying theme with some/all of their special interests? I've noticed recently that I have a thing with danger. It's the danger of certain topics that I find exciting, and all of my special interests that fit in this category started very young. That explains my very big special interest in roller coasters and amusement park safety/height restrictions, venomous/poisonous animals, infectious disease, and medicine in general.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2017, 5:50 pm

The only TV I enjoy (via clips on YouTube) is the Big Bang Theory, but it does look a bit like an infomercial, with all the "classic nerd" diversions that are available to all consumers. What I think is most AS in my interests is looking at the world logically. Just by applying high school physics, I can spot technical fraud in brochures, etc. When people make such mistakes in conversation, I assume they are joking.
Now, that awareness has expanded along the lines of evaluating things by their ecological sustainability as their primary characteristic, even when the footprint is diffused through many layers deep.

drwho222
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2017, 12:56 pm

HistoryGal wrote:
Trains really? My NT son likes them. I don't get this whole deal. People who like trains, sci-fi etc are thought to be autistic or have Asperger's. That's ridiculous. That's Hollywood once again telling us our reality.

I didn't care about trains or buses as a kid. I liked birds and planes. I wanted to fly.

One of the (in)famous Aspies ever is a guy who spent one third of his adult life in jail for stealing NYC busses and trains and joyriding them. He has encyclopedic knowledge of the time tables and etc. He would steal the clothing of New York City transit people in order to do this.

johntober
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Aug 2017, 1:06 pm

Pro wrestling 1978-1991

Out here in the sticks there are no train or bus schedules.

Evil_Chuck
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Aug 2017, 8:36 pm

Trains and video games, I suppose. I'm into the history of trains or anything; I just like riding on them, and a train whistle in the distance is my favorite sound in the world. I have over a hundred games for different systems. I haven't played some of them in years and should probably sell them off, but I just can't bring myself to do it.

FUNNY DEATH METAL LYRICS OF THE WEEK: 'DEMON'S WIND' BY VADER
Clammy frog descends
Demon's wind, the stars answer your desire
Join the undead, that's the place you'll never leave
You wanna die... but death cannot do us apart...

supermoon
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Aug 2017, 9:35 pm

Ukguy wrote:
One of the things that bugs me a little about my adult diagnosis is the fact that I do not have any one particular special interest or ability that is supposed to be a big part of having autism. :?

However I guess what I do have is the tendency to become obsessively interested in something for a while and then get bored and move on to something else. An example would be that I discovered a computer game I like at the start of this year and 8 months into the year I have already played 1300+ hours. That must average what, 5+ hours a day? :oops:

I'm generally interested in computers (but not really any other tech) and I would love to train to work in I.T security, ethical hacking, forensic computing or something along those lines.

I relate to this post. I will become absolutely obsessed with a particular thing and then can completely drop it once its served its purpose in my mind and move on.

My special Interest is computers/Internet, I can just sit for hours upon hours upon hours trawling through the internet. Its certainly not a special interest of mine but I also have a fascination with trains, I will stop and enjoy watching them go by. I also live on a Freight train line which I think is cool. Slightly off topic as its not a classic special interest but I also consider my work to be a special interest.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 2:56 am

My NT cousin went through a phase of being fascinated with buses when he was 2. When his parents took him out all he did was get overexcited when he saw buses and was not interested in anything else.
He's 28 now and is 100% NT.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 5:37 pm

Any other Sherlock Holmes fans here? I read right through the series after chancing upon the first as a young teen.

anti_gone
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Aug 2017, 5:38 pm

Dear_one wrote:
Any other Sherlock Holmes fans here? I read right through the series after chancing upon the first as a young teen.

I heard all the stories as audio book and like them. I'm not a fan and it's not a special interest, though ;)

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 7:09 pm

Mine were always animal related. Apparently that's pretty common for girls.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 7:10 pm

Mine were always animal related. Apparently that's pretty common for girls.

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 11:30 am

Reading is my most "Classic Aspie" interest. I read a lot- I have several books on the go at once, and get through well over a thousand pages a week. I focus on such stereotypically Aspic subjects as science fiction, fantasy, comics, physics, astronomy and zoology.

I have zero talent for computer programming.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 11:43 am

PhosphorusDecree wrote:
Reading is my most "Classic Aspie" interest. I read a lot- I have several books on the go at once, and get through well over a thousand pages a week. I focus on such stereotypically Aspic subjects as science fiction, fantasy, comics, physics, astronomy and zoology.

I have zero talent for computer programming.

I used to be like that; now I only want to read about a few select subjects :D .

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

AlanMooresBeard
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Aug 2017, 12:42 pm

When I was a kid, my special interests were Doctor Who, shopping malls, movies and drawing. Today, I'm still a Doctor Who fan but my fandom is restricted to just watching new episodes and buying the odd book or DVD relating to the show. My special interests at the moment are politics (especially elections), metal music, ethical living and German history and culture post-1945. In terms of 'typical' aspie interests, I have some interest in trains (mainly memorising specific rail networks) and I love animals especially tigers and other big cats.

MarkJ
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Aug 2017, 4:42 pm

I also have an interesting in transport and in particular the railway scene. I have both HO and N scale model railway gear.

I'm also a tabletop gamer (miniatures games).