Do you have any of the classic Aspie special interests?

Page 1 of 5 [ 80 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

drwho222
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2017, 5:46 pm

I love trains and always have, but I do not have encyclopedic knowledge of their models, function, history, etc.

I also love robots and have a big collection of toy robots and classic "space toys" mostly of a 1950s to 1970s vintage.

I love video games too.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2017, 5:51 pm

I used to be an "info-dumper" extraordinaire when I was a young kid.

To a certain extent, I still am one.

I used to get in trouble because I liked the weather much as a child. I ran up a $600 phone bill in 1971 because I wanted to know the temperature of every place in the world.

At this point, though, I don't find that my interests really detract from making a living (though I do tempted, while I'm at work, to indulge in them, to the exclusion of what I actually have to do on my job.

drwho222
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2017, 5:55 pm

Yes, Weather! Once when I was 8 or 9 I found a book on weather in a used bookstore. My mom bought it for me and I'd read it for hours. I would go outside on nice days lying on my back identifying the cloud types for hours on end.

artfulldodger
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Aug 2017, 9:31 pm

Trains, both model and real and a wealth of knowledge on them, as well as the Titanic. Interested in both since I was a young child. I am the classic Aspie "little professor" when it comes to both topics. I minor in small engine repair and older garden tractors, lots of knowledge, but not as much as the first two subjects.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 59 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2017, 9:32 pm

Trains fascinate me but I haven't allowed myself to become a hobbyist in that area.
Also used to live and breathe video games.
Not so much now.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2017, 9:46 pm

I would classify animals, particularly cats, as a classic feminine special interest.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2017, 9:47 pm

Yup! I love Minecraft since Stampy plays it. I also like all the other games Stampy plays, like Pokémon and Zelda :D .

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

11 Aug 2017, 10:03 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I used to be an "info-dumper" extraordinaire when I was a young kid.

To a certain extent, I still am one.

I used to get in trouble because I liked the weather much as a child. I ran up a $600 phone bill in 1971 because I wanted to know the temperature of every place in the world.

At this point, though, I don't find that my interests really detract from making a living (though I do tempted, while I'm at work, to indulge in them, to the exclusion of what I actually have to do on my job.

"info-dumper" extraordinaire - :lol:
That sounds so familiar - I think it describes me, too.
Even today, I assume that when people ask a question they want an answer. A complete answer, full to brimming, and thus I'm both the "go-to" person and one who is sometimes avoided.
I still don't understand why people would prefer not to know anything, or why they'd rather die than find out they're wrong.
Live and learn.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2017, 10:51 pm

My sentiment exactly :D

adriantesq
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Aug 2017, 11:07 pm

I had an amazing childhood, but was an unfulfilled religious music genius at 8½, so qualified in Constitutional Law and Literature and also in Architecture, County Surveying, Town and Country Planning and all related forms of Engineering at 15½, to develop chains of self-sufficient church missionary settlements throughout the UK and Commonwealth, but had a head injury that precluded my going abroad to work, so I retrained to continue living and working in the UK and won the design competition to transfer the Royal Mint from the centre of London to the provinces, by specializing in all highways and transportation aspects of the transfer, giving me a 50 year professional career to bring my highways and transportation development plan to fruition, and won a UNESCO award with it the year before I retired.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2017, 11:34 pm

I like bus schedules and buses. The Routemaster in particular is my favourite bus. I also like vintage Greyhounds.

CharityGoodyGrace
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 12:03 am

I have some interest in history, some in science, not much at all. A lot in psychiatry and psychology. None in mechanical things or math. A lot of my other Aspie obsessions aren't those classic so-called Aspie topics. I guess that means I won't fit in anywhere? But wait... I have to remember there are more of me than I know. There are tons of people like me out there.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

12 Aug 2017, 2:15 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
My sentiment exactly :D

My sister phoned me once and said, "Answer this only if you can do it in ten words or less. Do you agree?"
I agreed. She asked the question (forget what it was - one of those obscure factual things I love).

I had to think, but managed a nine-word answer. She thanked me and was going to hang up. I was so surprised! "But don't you want to know ..." No, she didn't, and hung up. Really, I could have told her *all* about it, and she was interested, but only nine words worth!

This was before they invented Google.

Then my phone rang again. This time it was Mom. She said Sis had told her answered a question in less than ten words, was this true? Yes. Mom was astonished. "I didn't think you could!" she said.

All those years, I thought I was being helpful.

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 4:44 am

Trains are a classic Aspie special interest?

Either way, I never was into trains myself, but my little brother was at one point. And funnily enough, he doesn't even have AS. I was really into video games as a kid, though, and still am to this day.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 5:27 am

It seems that trains, Star Trek, Doctor Who, World of Warcraft, languages, maths, animals, science, minecraft, (and more) are common Aspie special interests. I don't have special interests like that. I don't really have any special interests but what I have that are close to special interests are:-

British humour/drama
Writing
Creepy/abandoned places
Gossip
Theme parks
Country music
Cottages

Bus-drivers used to be a true special interest.

Voxish
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Aug 2017, 5:51 am

When I was a kid I was into trains, had a railway and was a member of a model railway club, but then so were lots of adults and kids who were NT (perhaps they weren't lol) But then I are out of it I guess (My favourite company was LMS I loved the Romany Red and Black livery and anyway they were my local branch line) I also had a thing for Cybermen on Who and yes, I did a few robots, again stuff you would expect kids to be into. I was a child of the 60s and can still remember the entire school sat cross legged in the hall with a massive TV on watching the first Moon landings and thats where my interest in Astronomy began, something I am still very much into if only the sky would ever be free from clouds. Joderal Bank was very near my home town and I went through a phase of going there most weekends until I had done the place to death, the staff at the visitors centre knew me my name 8)

BBC: Radio 4